Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New National Postal Meter M1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2016 at 10:37am
If you look at the top view of the rifle's action and focus on the recoil plate, you can make out the very faint, small c located just above and the left of center of the screw. That is a marking I can find no reference to.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2016 at 10:38am
That picture is in my original set of images on page one of this string.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2016 at 9:47pm
It's not a C, it's more of a horse shoe shape.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2016 at 9:13pm

Does this help? The stacked 4 4 is under the hand guard. BTW, the butt plate matches the NPM pattern identified by the CMP site. Pretty confident it is a NPM part.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2016 at 9:41pm
Top of recoil plate, note small horse shoe stamp just above and to the left of the screw to secure the plate. It is faint, but way too uniform to be an accidental mark. .U. Is on the bottom

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2016 at 10:38pm
Nice Shooter...I have a Nice '44 NPM with a Marlin Barrel. Non Import with No Stake Marks. I shoot it every now and then just to remind me that's what it was made for...
Frank

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 12:31am
I read your posts about your M1. From all I have learned NPM made a nice rifle. The only stake marks I have found on my Carbine are for the original sight and a second stake mark seating the milled adjustable sight that was replaced on my gun. No import marks, clean, slightly worn cartouche, sharp TRIMBLE (edit) TN stamp in the sling cut-out with no additional marks in the hand guard (which was correct for Turnbul). So far the gun has been a very pleasant surprise. Much more to learn about this great little gun.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 12:50am
Do you mean a Trimble TN Stock?
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 12:54am
Sorry, yes TRIMBLE TN. My bad, thinking about the Colt restorer in New York. Different subject...lol.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 12:57am
Check this site out...It will show you every part for your Carbine...There might be some mistakes (I Think) but I use this when I started and still do when I purchase new ones.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 1:42am
Fantastic resource, thanks.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 1:48am
Your Welocome...It does tell you alot and helps you with your S/N Range you have and parts that should match your entire Carbine.
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 1:54am
Get the Books...You will see and get Great Information about almost everything you need to know.
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 3:25pm
@frank, it has been said more than once that that site you mention is basically a spreadsheet of info taken from Direct, complete with errors and incorrect serial ranges.

Problem is if someone has a correct "as left the factory" gun, possibly like the OPs, is that some swap out parts to incorrectly "correct".

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice primer to carbine collecting as well as a quick source to markings, but is in conflict of the 40 years of research this club has done.

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 3:43pm
I understand and know about that site being based on some spread sheets, I did happen to say that there were mistakes, but there is good credible Information that I seen is true. I also happened to mention get the books. I asked lots of questions when I started and you have helped me out quite a bit and Thank You for that, but a lot of information I found out myself was looking at everything on the Web, Forums and almost every book there is. I also forgot to mention the best thing to do and don't over look this is get the Field Manuals. Those Field Manuals will give you accurate information about the M1 Carbines that you need to know.
Frank

JOHN42768 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHN42768 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2016 at 12:06pm
Hi, ewallover. I have sent you a message. John42768
May the Souls of all those who served and protected our Freedoms Rest in Peace
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2016 at 9:15pm
Knowing that the Serial Number (1955104) of my M1 is in the second production run of National Postal Meter's contract, is it possible to date when the gun was assembled (closer than September-November 1943)? Late September, early October) I am trying to establish a time line for several parts that appear to be newer (and possibly older) than the original production run. (Sear, hammer barrel, etc.) I know my milled adjustable sight is definately a later armor's update as most likely is the sear and possibly the Marlin barrel.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2016 at 9:55pm
Your Front Sight is Correct for your Carbine. It's a Type 1 Milled marked with 2 N's Sideways by Niedner Rifle Corp. If you clean it up real gently with a Old Soft Tooth brush or Q-Tips you will see both of the N's. Don't use any Cleaners just Gently brush it. You have a REALLYnice M1 Carbine.
Frank

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2016 at 7:19am
Assuming that NPM's second block run was 44,999 (45,000) rifles, and the production run was 3 months, I did a little math to try to more accurately date my M1. Assuming 500 rifles a day was their output, my Carbine would have been assembled on the 35th day of the run on or about October 5, 1943. Does this analysis hold water? So an Underwood 9-43 barrel would be a good target? I wish I knew when Marlin delivered product to NPM just to see if my barrel could be original... all of those honest scars could be telling a story. Also, it would be nice to know if the Carbine was issued to the Army or Marines? Any way to know by the dates?
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2016 at 7:33am
That would be a Challenge to find as I once read that Records for distributing to either Army or Marines and all other Services involved in WW2 were either lost or Never found. When Manufactures finished production. IMO those Records would have belonged to the Government as they were boxed and sent to them to distribute. Someone else might know more about this.
Frank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>