Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New National Postal Meter M1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New National Postal Meter M1
    Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 8:35pm
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 8:42pm

Still learning the ropes, so I'm not sure I'm posting correctly. These basic images are of my new rifle. What kind of photographs do you need to assess the piece and what I need to do to properly update the rifle to make it a shooter.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 8:44pm
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 9:49pm
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 9:52pm
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 9:54pm
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 10:39pm
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 10:42pm

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2016 at 7:03am
Nice looking piece ewall. "To make it a shooter" you say. It's likely a shooter just like it is. First thing I do is take a gun apart and see what's inside and with the M1, it's popular to catalog each and every part. There is a "Carbine Data Sheet" available, but it doesn't allow for certain details. I built a spreadsheet listing every component and the markings on it. You can exhaust yourself investigating what's what and where it came from. There is plenty of reading available out there to document what you have and much of it can be determined by going no farther than a field-strip.

Congrats!
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2016 at 7:28am
Thanks. So far I've only field stripped and given the gun a good cleaning and oiling. The trigger group was not broken down, but from what is visible, all
I have noted was markings consistent with NPM stampings. I haven't checked the sear for example. Where might I find the Carbine Data Sheet?

As I have noted, my only area of concern is the condition of the riflings, or lack of, in the barrel and the its cosmetic appearance. However if original, and if it can hit what I'm aiming at, as you say maybe it already is a shooter. What strikes me is the sudden urge to make the rifle whole again...
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2016 at 8:23am
I believe there is a thread in here someplace that can point you to it, but you can also Google-up "Carbine Data Sheet" and find it, as well as instructions on how to fill it out. I found it much more convenient to just build a spreadsheet and transfer the data. You can add notes on the spreadsheet that the data sheet doesn't allow for and use the data sheet to help you look for things you may not know are important.

You can use the 30-06 M2 round (military ball) for a guide to bore erosion and you can Google-up that process as well. I can tell you that from my experience, the lands can look practically non-existent and the gun will still surprise you.

Have fun!
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2016 at 8:31am
Nice looking NPM!
Clean the barrel and just look down it towards a brite light.
Shoot it and see how it does, then decide what is needed.
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2016 at 12:39pm
Data sheets and links on filling them out are in "links" section.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/ccnls-back-issues-and-data-sheets-and-indexes_forum42.html

verything is covered on sheet for across the board manufacturers.
The things like inspectors marks and such are covered in the newsletters. Those items can be put on back of sheet.

When submitted if something is needed you will be contacted.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2016 at 2:21pm
I saw the other post about your barrel condition. Have you shot it to see if it worth keeping on as a shooter?
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2016 at 2:53pm
Unfortunately not yet.  I hope to get to the range this weekend to see how it performs at 25 yards.  With hunting season just around the corner, you could not get to an outdoor range if your life depended upon it. The gun looks to be mostly original, but I really don't know. The Guy that sold it to me on Gunbroker indicated it had been in his safe for more than a decade and had not been shot by him much, if at all,... he could not remember. This was not his only M1.  He indicated he carried a National Postal Meter M1 in the service and that is why he bought this particular gun. 

The condition of the barrel simply is a big question mark for me.  It is the only part of the rifle that appears to be in poor or excessively worn condition; the exterior of the trigger guard housing shows some considerable wear also, but i is sound and not rusted in any areas.  The stock was not pristine, but it cleaned up very, very well and presents quite nicely.  The milled adjustable sight is not original, the barrel is questionable, but the remainder of the parts are well used but not abused in any way and appear to be NPM.  If it groups, I may just leave it alone and shoot away for fun. If a barrel replacement is warranted, I will do my best to respect the gun and find a barrel that would or could have been used a the time of its original assembly (October to December 1943).  This gun is not going to be flipped, its in my collection now; and my youngest son has already claimed it!   Hell, I'm not anywhere near ready to give up the ghost. I am enjoying this hobby to darn much!  He can just wait or duke it out with his older brother when the time comes! LOL!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 7:26pm
can you take a picture out of the stock to show the difference in color from receiver to barrel.

Here is a thread showing an original Marlin barrel

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 8:03pm

Not sure if this shows you enough. This image is on my phone. I'll try to get you a better one.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 8:06pm
If you look closely at the top of the barrel you can see the 44 stamp.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 8:16pm
Unfortunately the slide obscures the colors combined with shine on barrel.
See above link and maybe take pic from other side so slide is not in way

(edit) here is a pic of what to look for

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 9:32pm
Will do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>