The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 7:01pm
New guy checking in. These are my girls.

On the top is a Saginaw SG (1943) receiver build by Fulton Armory with a mix of original USGI and newly made USGI spec parts. It has a Fulton Armory Match barrel and is a fine shooter. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

On the bottom is a newly acquired early build National Postal Meter (about 38,000 of the NPM line) with mostly NPM parts except for the slide (ROCK-OLA type II slide) and the rear sight which has no manufacturer mark and has the squared off S on the left, rather than rounded as it should have. It has an UNDERWOOD barrel dated 4-43 and the receiver serial number indicates it should have come off the line July 1943. Early type I High Wood, I cut Trimble Nursery and Furniture Company stock with proper cartouche's and no rebuild marks. Judging by the dirt and the patina underneath said dirt, it appears to have been in this configuration for a very long time. It had not been properly cleaned in so long the firing pin was stuck in the bolt and would not move, and the slide stop was stuck as well. Any oil it had received had long since tuned into a sticky varnishDead.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 7:04pm
Squared S rear sight is OK for a NPM. Don't change it!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 7:27pm
Thanks, no plans to change it. It actually appears original to the gun, I was going off of Riesch' Wartime Production book in reference to the markings.
All though I'm sure it's not, the ROCK-OLA slide "appears" original to the gun as well based on it's condition when I got it. It is the correct type II slide for that period. I have read that NPM got some lateral support on slides from Inland early on, but have seen nothing about ROCK-OLA. I got it from a large dealer and have no history on it. As i stated before based on it's condition (dirt, patina, wear patterns) I can tell that it has been in this configuration for a very long time. Every other internal part is correct appears original to this carbine.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 8:42pm
Rock-Ola sent 6500 op slides to NPM from May-July of 43 (War Baby). Don't believe everything written in Riesch's book.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 9:34pm
Awesome! Thanks!
I truly believe that this was someones bring back from WWII. Perhaps they passed a while back and it sat in a closet or somewhere else and was neglected for a long time. Everything about this gun says original. 
It has an original NPM (IN inside circle) oiler with a leather washer, an original sling which was so dirty I thought it was olive drab at first. After initial cleaning it actually appears to be khaki and has faint S-S2 marks, which I believe is for Standard Products. It was so dirty the oiler and sling were stuck together (you could almost stand the sling in a corner it was so stiff).

SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 7:54am
Very nice carbine and find!  Congrats!  Love 'em all, but those early ones that are unmessed with are just simply awesome.
Chad
USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply