The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: Feb 22 2022 at 9:45pm
Hello fellow Carbine owners.
I have thought about owning a carbine for longer than most members have been alive.  I’m old!  Ha
I should have bought one when they were $300.00.
I found a nice IBM with the help of my FFL and Gary at Antique and Modern Firearms,inc.
I found Gary very helpful and nice to deal with. I have a nice M1 Garand so my Carbine will be in good company. Mine is an IBM with a IBM barrel. 
Today I also bought the *Riesch book to further educate myself about the Carbines.
Question….does the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine use the same sling?  I see lots of M1 Garand slings on eBay  but none listed for the carbines.
Any advice about what Ammo is best for our Carbines will be appreciated.
 A little about me, I’m in Illinois in a north suburb of Chicago and was in the Army in the 1960’s.
I’m looking forward to interfacing with fellow Carbine lovers.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2022 at 10:55pm
Carbine slings are relatively narrow canvas webbing until 1960s when some nylon versions were used.  (Some European countries post war had leather versions.)

Whatacountry has US GI surplus D-tipped slings that are in fairly good condition.

I don't know what to suggest as 'best' ammo.
Every few weeks I look on-line and see a few different brands dominating.
Last time was a lot of Remington's UMC, now I'm seeing Armscor, S&B, and little bit of Magtech.

The surplus stuff hasn't been a bargain and may be best avoided until you get a chance to know what to look out for.  There's not a lot, but there was some 'fake' LC. 

Sorry I'm a bit tired but figured that will get you started.

Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2022 at 11:29pm
thanks Mat for taking the time to give me some info and advice.

Jackson
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2022 at 7:47am
The M1 carbine sling is 1" wide
The M1 Rifle sling is 1 1/4" wide, so a not go on the carbine.

Riesch is a good starter book but to be used with caution! There are many errors and should not be used to judge is a carbine is correct

There are many errors not listed in that post....yet!
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2022 at 10:49pm
got my carbine today.
Condition is better than I thought it was.

I took it apart (not all apart) in order to clean & oil it and to look for the markings on the parts.

Serial number is 9843858.  I assume 9 million of the 6 million made must be because of gaps in the serial numbers.
Barrel and receiver are stamped IBM .CORP.
Stock is stamped BR-B
The piece the receiver locks into has the narrow catch.  Sorry I haven’t learned the correct names of the parts.  I will fill out a data sheet so I will know.
Q-TX is stamped on the receiver.
AM-B is stamped on the trigger part
A small S is stamped on the flip sight which is impossible to flip with my fingers.  I was able to flip it with soft jaw pliers.
 It looks like it might be installed backwards because the larger end of the holes in the sight face the front of the gun.  Comments please.

This post is premature because  I will be able to call the parts by their correct names after I download the data sheet.

Any advice about who I should buy a sling and oiler from?  I see there are thicker reproduction slings that may not fit around the oiler well.

U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
Gun & Antique Car Collector
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2022 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Jackson Jackson wrote:

Serial number is 9843858.  

You better look a bit closer at that 9, IBM's serial block was 3651520 to 4009999.

It looks like it might be installed backwards because the larger end of the holes in the sight face the front of the gun.  Comments please. 

The S should be on the left side. The flat side of the peep sight should face the shooter, concave side towards the target.

Check out seller 81mm on gunbroker for an oiler, Matt_X already gave a suggestion for a place to find a sling.

Edited by W5USMC - Feb 25 2022 at 11:33pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2022 at 11:09pm
Is it possible the first number of the serial number is a 3?  IBM serial number sometimes can be hard to read.
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 12:12am
yikes!   Hold the phone……my serial number is 3843858.

That 3 was looking like a 9.

Sorry for the mistake.

Next time I will get my magnifying glass out in order to see the markings.

Now I will get the data sheet filled out correctly (I hope)

I’m glad to know my front flip sight is correctly mounted because I bet it would be quite a job to turn it around.  I may have an incorect spring under mine because it is impossible to switch with my bare hands.
My FFL showed me GP his Carbine and his front sight flipped quite easy.
U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 8:30am
It sounds like a nice carbine, has the opportunity to be on the original side. If you have any pictures would be great or we can help you post them. Original flip sights can get gunked up and be harder to move. I generally leave in as found condition if original.
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 9:51am
thanks for the good advice.  I wonder if some kind of solvent can loosen up the sight and then get some oil down in the area where the spring lives. 

Let’s see if I can figure out how to post the pictures I just took.  Nope.

I clicked on all the icons above and none seem to take me to my photos.

Please tell me how to post some pictures.  I think I have some decent ones to post

Edited by W5USMC - Feb 26 2022 at 12:51pm
U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 9:55am
I just noticed that we are neighbors.  I’m about 20 miles south of the Il,WI border.

I may take my Carbine up to the Bristol range and try it out. 

What part of Wisconsin are you in?
U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 10:46am
I just downloaded several pictures of my Carbine into a file but I don’t see how to add them to a post.

I think I saw something that says I need approval from the administrator before I can post pictures.

What do I need to do to get approval?

Thanks for any help provided
U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 10:56am
try posting a reply. In the reply box the 6th button over with an arrow will open a full reply box.
Now at the top you will see a picture of a tree. Click that, choose the picture. Click OK (bottom right of the new box. Hit enter twice, repeat for the next picture.

The enter twice just puts a space between pictures, looks better.

IF you get an error message then hit enter or spacebar, then try posting picture. For some reason at times the software will not put a picture in the first space of the box

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 11:31am
Serial number reference:

Part Names:
*Riesch has a illustrated parts list near the back.
The Carbine Club's website organizes them by group. 

Flip sight stiff.
I think that's better than too loose. 
The question will be why is it so stiff.  Old lube that dried out? dirt? rust?
Probably the best approach is to apply a couple drops of a mild solvent.
Something like mineral spirits or kerosene should be effective and safe on the finishes.
If you do this with the assembly out of the stock, then you can be more liberal without worrying about getting it on the wood.
For rust, a very light (thin) penetrating oil ought to help.  (eg liquid wrench)

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 1:05pm

I just downloaded several pictures of my Carbine into a file but I don’t see how to add them to a post. 

Pictures transferred to your above post. 

Your stock is an Underwood stock (GHD/UEF) that was also on a carbine that went through an Underwood rebuild (.U.).
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 1:10pm
I just got on my computer and just like magic, here are the pictures I took this morning.

I guess it just takes some time for the pictures to show up.

While taking these pictures  this morning I noticed the sling holder has has UN stamped in it.

I guess I will download the data sheet and start filling it out.

I cleaned and oiled the flip sight this morning and exercised it for quite a while and it now flips but is still pretty hard to do.

At least it isn'r stuck in one position now.

Now I need to find some ammo so I can try it out.

Thanks again  to you folks who have been giving meme help and advice.

U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 1:34pm

I just got on my computer and just like magic, here are the pictures I took this morning.  I guess it just takes some time for the pictures to show up. 

No magic involved, you had all of the pictures downloaded to your data files, you just did not complete the process of adding them to your post. I was able to add them to your post from your data files.  
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 1:50pm
Thanks Wayne,
You have really helped me out as  I am learning to use the forum.

My challenge today is I can't seem to get the data sheets to come up on my computer.

I have got them up in the past but today I keep getting directed to the videos about how to fill them out.

I tried to look at the videos but it takes me to a U tube site that requires things I know nothing about.

I would like to print out the data sheets so I can work on them before I fill the ones out to submit.

Can you steer me in the right direction>

Thanks,  Jack
U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 2:01pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jackson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2022 at 2:36pm
I was able to download it and print it.

Ive been searching for ammo and see lots of places are out of stock.

Others are charging as much as $1.50 per round.

Cheaper than Dirt has it for about 72 cents a round for a box of 250.

o you have a good source?

Jack
U S Army 1961-1963
NRA member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>