The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member Help identifying Inland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member Help identifying Inland
    Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 7:39am
I recently came into possession of my first carbine due to the passing of a friend. I'm trying to determine if it is of any value at all. I am quite unfamiliar with them since I haven't seen or touched one since 1963 when I was on active duty. Although I have a few rifles, none of any real significance, I am primarily a handgun guy.
First I can find absolutely no markings anywhere on the stock and it appears to be fairly pristine except for a few small scratches and some wear in front of the barrel band which is stamped with SI although one member said it's actually IS. The strap seems to be brand new and is a dark OD color so I would think that had to be added recently. The barrel is stamped with Inland Mfg, Div of GM etc. and the date 10-43. The front site has an L stamped on the side.
The mag release has what looks like an underlined M but I have seen nothing on the site that mentions anything like that. The rear site has what appears to be a very faint P1 or PI on it.
The serial number stamped under and behind the rear site is 2927XXX
These are the only markings I can see externally and due to my unfamiliarity I'm uncomfortable disassembling anything at this time. I took some quick pics but I'm not sure if they're going to come out.
Thank you,
John
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 8:03am
Stock appears to have been sanded. Sling is definately aftermarket. Obviously an arsenal rebuilt carbine, but the finish looks extremely fresh. Looks like it could be a very good little gun.

Value depends on what part of the country you’re in, but non-import...$800-$900 generally speaking. In some circles, import marks would devalue it by $100-or-so.
JW5400 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 8:14am
Thanks, I figured the arsenal rebuilt part from what I've read here, especially the bayonet lug. It also has two bayonets but only one fits it. I tried to post that pic but it was too large.
Thanks again, I appreciate your info!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 12:52pm
your barrel band is SI American Radiator Standard Sanitary corp to Inland. ( Now American Standard)

your stock may be a Winchester, check inside the stock on the bridge by trigger housing cutout or side ledge of forward section. Look for small W in slingwell. If you pull off buttplate, how many holes?

*Edit to add: looking on the big screen you may have a sanded potbelly. Take action out of the stock, is there a bridge as discussed above?

Your front sight is Lyman made for Winchester

Did you check the main pages under parts for Mag catch?
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/triggergroup4.html

M is modified, M underlined is the later one that also supports 30 round mags.
Look where magazine touches it. Sometimes marked.

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 1:19pm
Welcome to the forum.  Nice looking carbine.  If you're interested in seeing what else you have "under the hood", you'll need to take it out of the stock.  Here's the first guide I came across from the CMP. http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/m1carbinedisassembly.pdf  It really isn't hard.  These instructions don't include disassembly of the trigger housing components and that would probably be best left for another day once you've read up on it.  But you'll figure it out too.  
JW5400 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 4:51pm
Thanks, it does take a 30 round magazine.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 9:51am
Yep, that's a potbelly
30 round magazine will fit a carbine without the little sidearm that is on the M mag catch. It is just that the magazine will not have the extra support and may deform the nibs on the magazine. It was about added support for the extra weight and arguably the vibrations when in "Rock n Roll"

There are unmarked late style magazine catches with the arm both USGI and "other"
JW5400 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

your barrel band is SI American Radiator Standard Sanitary corp to Inland. ( Now American Standard)

your stock may be a Winchester, check inside the stock on the bridge by trigger housing cutout or side ledge of forward section. Look for small W in slingwell. If you pull off buttplate, how many holes?

*Edit to add: looking on the big screen you may have a sanded potbelly. Take action out of the stock, is there a bridge as discussed above?

Your front sight is Lyman made for Winchester

Did you check the main pages under parts for Mag catch?
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/triggergroup4.html

M is modified, M underlined is the later one that also supports 30 round mags.
Look where magazine touches it. Sometimes marked.

JW5400 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 11:23am
Thanks to New2brass for additional help on identifying my carbine!
also to answer one additional question...I removed the butt plate and there are three holes under it.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 5:59pm
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking carbine! Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Two holes, one above and below the hole for the butt plate screw are characterists of Winchester stocks and I think one maker of IBM stocks. Looks like a Winchester stock to me as others mentioned above. I'm about 50/50 finding the W in the sling well. Sometimes, Winchester stocks will have markings on the stock bridge or the rail as new2 described above.
JW5400 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 6:52pm
Thanks to you gentlemen I now have a pretty good idea of what I own, which leads me to another additional question. Assuming this is a Winchester Potbelly stock, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 7:43pm
When I thought it was a flat bottom stock I thought maybe Winchester. A few manufacturers used the holes under buttplate. Potbelly stocks have been observed with the holes as well.

To be clear, Winchester did not make a potbelly stock.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 8:17pm
When you are finally able to disassemble your carbine, look for markings on the top surface of the stock along the barrel channel. Post war potbelly stocks were often made by Springfield Armory, marked "SA". They would have three holes under the butt plate.

JackP
JW5400 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 8:21pm
I have disassembled it and there are no visible markings anywhere.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 8:30pm
Some post war replacement stocks were not marked.
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 8:38pm
Another possibility is that it may be a foreign made replacement stock that made it's way back to the U.S. on a carbine that was on loan to one of the foreign recipients of the Military Assistance Program or Lend Lease.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 8:46pm
The wood looks to be walnut
JW5400 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW5400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 9:01pm
That’s what I thought.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2019 at 7:57am
My Rock-Ola has a replacement Springfield walnut pot-belly stock.  Here you can clearly see the SA mark on the stock.

Semper Fi, Bruce
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2019 at 6:24am
JW5400, welcome to the forum. I am a newbie myself. Last year a friend wanted to sell his Inland that he inherited from his brother. It only takes one to start a passion for these M1s. Seven months from my first one and I now have two. A collector and a shooter.

My advice is to read old posts on this forum and follow links to other sources to improve your knowledge. AS you can see there are so many helpful folks willing to share their knowledge and experience. There are many reference books out there as well. I bought a few and found there are well worth the expense. Lastly, there are many YouTube videos to educate you on detail striping, to make that much less daunting. Keep us posted regarding your first range trip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>