The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member from TX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member from TX
    Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 7:29am
I’m a new member who recently joined after being introduced to the club from a long time member.   I began collecting rifles many years ago of various types and makes, however, never acquired a carbine.

I spent 20 years in the U. S. Army and after retiring began a second career in corporate security.   As odd as it may seem, that career transitioned into an executive level position software development company. I retired last year for the second time, this time permanently.   I now have the time to pursue my collecting hobby as well as others more earnestly.

Over the years I managed to pick up a couple of M1 Garands, 1903’s, and some other U. S. and foreign military weapons.   I always admired the M1 carbine but for whatever reason I could never find anyone willing to part with one. Many friends had one in their closet that had been handed down from their father or grandfather and when I inquired about it I was always told: “It’s not for sale.”   I’ve seen them for sale on gun broker and other websites but just didn’t know enough about the various models and originality to warrant paying what in many cases seemed like a high price.

A few months back I picked up a copy of Canfield book on the M1 carbine and began researching the various makes and models. This led to my first find, an Underwood model. It’s not perfect, but it is about 90% correct.

Last weekend, I was visiting family in Maryland and quite by happenstance I’ve visited a local pawnshop that sold guns.   While there, I found an inland carbine with a three digit serial number! It also had an M1A1 stock in good condition. While the receiver did not match the era of the stock, the rifle offered many possibilities.   Club member, New2Brass, reached out to me and offered valuable advice and the rest is history!

My plan is to hopefully add others to my collection including IBM, Rock-Ola, NPM and Winchester. I look forward to meeting many other carbine aficionados on this form and learning from you.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 8:34am
Welcome.

Originally posted by Nevinator Nevinator wrote:

My plan is to hopefully add others to my collection

You'll probably look back and laugh at that statement one day as you look over your collection and state the opposite intention.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 9:43am
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 9:52am
Howdy and welcome from a fellow Texan.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Welcome.

Originally posted by Nevinator Nevinator wrote:

My plan is to hopefully add others to my collection

You'll probably look back and laugh at that statement one day as you look over your collection and state the opposite intention.

Yeah, I've been in that boat before.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 12:18pm
Welcome.  Like the others above, I dare say your plan to add others will come true.
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 12:37pm
Welcome! from another collector from Texas.
 Post Reply Post Reply