The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new member from the PI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member from the PI
    Posted: Jan 07 2018 at 7:01pm
Hello All. Ret in 2015 to Leyte Philippines, but my kids (3) are putting in requests to have us enjoy time with them, whenever they can leverage us. When I got to the PI, I was given a "Carbine," that's what its called there. No one seemed to no or care about the "M-" designation. I enjoy reading this forum, I'll fit right in.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2018 at 7:09pm
Welcome to the forum PIFarmer! What kind of carbine did you receive?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 5:47am
May I also welcome you to the forum.  More info and perhaps a picture of your carbine would be great.  It would be interesting to you know where your carbine came from there in the Philippines. 

Look forward to learning more.

Best regards
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 9:33am
Welcome PIfarmer from a former Manila PI resident 1947-1950 as a child and my family. My dad brought back this Saginaw, carved by a local craftsman and presented to him for services rendered.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 2:24pm
After reading many posts, I can tell you my "Carbine" will not measure up to others who have collector quality rifles. Charles, that is very nice! I've seen hundreds of desk top name plates carved, seen 10' diameter tables beautifully carved at the Officer's Club, and more. That is a one of a kind!
Here are some pics. If this is a knockoff M-2, someone let me know. I was floored when it was given to me, it was like opening a time capsule. My mind was racing, was it used in the Battle of Leyte? It certainly has evidence of hard use. 
Sorry, pics are too big, they won't attach. I'll try to find a way to make them smaller. HQ calling me, she wants to go now. 
Here are a couple of particulars I wrote down before leaving the PI (now in HI, assisting daughter). On bolt carrier, says US CARBINE, CAL 30 M2, ser# on back of sights 5814178
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 4:04pm
PIfarmer, welcome to the forum this site is a great resource for all things carbine. We would love to see some pictures, there is a really good guide to posting pics under the (Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions) section of this forum. Really interested in whether or not your M2 has all the M2 parts in the trigger housing. Your serial #, which I assume you mean is behind the rear sight, would make your carbine a Winchester.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 2:28am
Background: Where I live in the PI, about every 3-4 months, the Army comes in with about 10-15 soldiers and sweeps the mountainside for any potential NPA, ISIS, Abusayaf, etc. We have good intel in our community (barangay), everyone knows what's going on in our surroundings. I keep my head on a swivel, just in case. Current: The gov't does not make it a priority to remove arms from the law abiding citizen. If you know what is going on in the PI, there are enough bad guys to deal with. I know of many autos in and around the countryside. From this point forward, I'll refer to my rifle as a Carbine. I know what it is, and will provide pics as soon as I can figure it out. It is certainly one of a kind. 
PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 4:57am
PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 4:59am
Uploaded ten pics, one came through. So, back to the drawing board. Apologies in advance for wasting your time. 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 5:56am
No need to apologize and this is not a waste of time.  Very interesting story with your carbine which I enjoy as much or more so than seeing the carbines.  I appreciate you taking the time to share.  Looking forward to more.
PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 2:29pm
As I was cleaning this Carbine that had been stored for years, it hit me. Some of the dirt that came out of the magazines, could have been from a WWII skirmish. I get imaginative. I mean really, their (the Filipino people) homeland was invaded. Wiki the Battle of Leyte. It must have been pretty wild back then.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 4:51pm
Wow, I cant imagine where that gun has been for the last 70 +- years.
Are you actually shooting it?
Charles
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 6:25pm
Haven't shot it, yet. Think I'll secure it to a coconut tree, and pull a lanyard from a distance! Seriously though, the action feels good and not sloppy, the rounds lock and load, and eject without a hitch. We gonna let this puppy roll, as soon as it fires a few test rounds first. Nothing on the bolt carrier or slide receiver has any indication markings of Plainfield. Could it be a WWII era Carbine, with after market handguard?
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:06pm
Am not sure but my old eyes seem to see a selector button, don't remember if you said what the mfg was--is.
My father was in/on the landing of Leyte and Louzon, That's about all I can remember him saying. A real piece of history you have.
OH, and welcome to a great bunch.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:17pm
W5USMC stated, the serial number would indicate a Winchester. I noticed a 30 round magazine catch.
That shiny hand guard is puzzling.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:26pm
Yes sir, selector switch. Do you recall what unit your Dad was in? I wonder if Carbine issuance can be look up to see which outfit had what ser#'s? Now that'd be interesting! Serial number stamped behind rear sight is a Winchester. No stamped serial numbers on the front left side of receiver indicating Plainfield. Unless the numbers are not in plain view, but rather one must remove receiver to see alpha-numeric serial number.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:50pm
Welcome to the forums!
First I must say that Charles is short changing you on his carbine! To really appreciate it check out this article

For some identification of the stock look here

8831 carbines were sent to the Philippines through MAP 1951 to 1963 which based on bayonet lug would be consistent with a rebuild carbine of the time. Though I am sure many carbines could have found their way to the Philippines through other routes.

Very interesting piece with some possible history to it. The paint may be a piece of its history as well. If not I have some suggestions of how to clean it up.

I will be following up with a PM on a few other questions for you.
Best, Dan
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:51pm
Beautiful carbine just the way it is. All M1A1's left the factory with Inland barreled receivers. Might have visited the arsenal or was modified elsewhere. I'm sure if it could talk it would have a long story to tell.

Check the inside of the stock for the letters OI. More tips to identify a USGI M1A1 stock here

The butt plate looks GI. The crack in the rear of the stock is typical of paratrooper stocks. I find what looks like black paint on a lot of the metal interesting.

Are there any markings on the pistol grip especially the right side, front or bottom?

The patina, including what looks like moss/mold, is fantastic!

Thanks for sharing.
PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:54pm
Can anyone say 30 round, magazine fed, shoulder fired, air cooled..., 

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 7:58pm
My dad was a LT. Commander on an aircraft carrier at the invasion of Latye.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>