The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from NY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from NY
    Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 12:51pm
Hello new member from Suffolk NY, no not NYC lol. Was recently introduced to collecting by receiving a national ordnance paratrooper. Knowing that style stock is considered evil and dangerous 🤔 in this great state, I researched finding a regular long stock. Well after finding out this was a commercial made carbine I wanted to own a real USGI. Carbine. After seeing the price tags the National Ordnance was tossed in the safe as well the option of buying a real USGI.   Two years later I obtained a bubbaed NPM. After researching and searching for correct parts to restore I was hooked and so the story continues. I have to say a lot of help and questions were answered and given by a bunch of collectors which I have to say was awesome and I can't thank them enough. Anyway sorry for rambling.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 2:41pm
Welcome to the forum!  This is the place to get all kinds of questions answered.  Sounds like you have already found out carbines are addictive as many on here will testify. As I was told, these folks like pictures so be sure and check out how to go about it.  Actually it is pretty easy cause I can do it without much effort.  Here are a couple topics on attaching and re-sizing.

Just curious, how "bubba'd" is your NPM?

It's good to have ya.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 3:44pm
Not anymore. I restored it to what I believe to be correct. It was bad though, it was in a regular rifle stock customized to fit a m1. I overlooked it at first and didn't realize it was a m1. It was scoped and was missing both sightt. I lucked out though as they used a side mount for the scope so the receiver wasn't drilled and tapped . It also had I'd say 60% saginaw S.G. Parts which I understand can be normal for a mix master. So after considering my options I decided to search for correct NPM parts and thought hey I will build a saginaw sense I had a lot of parts as well.   I know I know crazy trying to build by parts as I will pay more in the end. But the build part is very addictive. I will definitely get some pictures of before and after when I can.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 3:52pm
They can never be restored to how they left the factory that only happened once. "Restoring" a carbine can be a costly endeavor and sometimes difficult. Difficult in the fact that if your dovetail for the rear sight was staked for the adjustable sight those stake marks will always be there if you put back on a flip sight. If your carbine had a type 3 barrel band (with bayo lug) chances are it now has a "shadow" that will be very obvious if you put on a type 1 barrel band and so on.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 5:59pm
Nothing wrong with restoring. Some do it, some don't, but as mentioned it can be an expensive endeavor and it will never be original but that is o.k. You can always shoot it.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of it. One never knows, even in a mixmaster, there can be fantastic parts. Done right, a valuable part can be turned into other parts for the restoration. I gave up restoring a while ago due to impatience, but that doesn''t mean I pass up an opportunity to acquire parts or a mixer iff given the chance.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Enjoy the addiction, uh I mean carbine collecting.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 6:56pm
Maybe restore is the wrong terminology?  I get the whole you can never restore how it came from the factory, it will never be original, etc etc. But anything would be better than how I found it.   I guess made correct is better? Not sure.  Anyway yes dove tail is staked, so to me correct would be adjustable sight which I put on.  The barrel doesn't have type III band discoloration from what I can tell. Being that The only TN stock I found that's mostly original had a rebuild stamp on it I put a type III band anyway.  The IBM barrel is a off color though, almost gray rather than black.  I have seen a couple NPM's with IBM barrels look similar so I'm not sure what that's about.   This is original stock.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 7:13pm
Looks like a nice sling.  Not familiar with the stock but it reminds me of the pre-64 Model 70 but probably post.

I understand now, you're putting it back to an M1 configuration.  If you post some pictures of the rest, the community might be able to help identify its current state and/or what needs to be done to aid in the restoration process.  It may have been restored in part already, but it sounds like it has some nice parts.  Was the stock bedded to accept the carbine B/A?  Would be interesting to see what kind of mods were made so it would fit.

richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 7:13pm
This is her now.  The light stinks, I really need to take some outside pics. 
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 7:20pm
I referenced Reish's 7th edition, plus a couple of collectors on some parts.   Just hoping hes more accurate on NPM then S'G'  Confused    The old stock has a lot of filler!  It was half way into wood stove but someone said I might be able to get a couple of dollars for it.  No takers as of now. lol   

richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 7:22pm
Oh yes was a real nice Boyt 44 Military sling.  Took that off when I realized it was a good sling.  
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 8:12pm
Nice patina, looks like a fine example of a reworked carbine.  Slide looks early.  Front sight is blued. That rifle needs to be shot!  JMO.

As mentioned by cali, since there is a type 3 band, there will probably be some kind of shadow on the barrel.  Do you have a picture of it when installed in the other stock?

Does the sling have an verdigris on the metal parts?

richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 8:33pm
Ugh I lost the pics of it in the old stock as my old phone crashed and I lost a lot of pics.  There's actually no shadow that I can see. If you look at the band that held it on in the old stock it is very small.  The type III your seeing I just put on it this year, as I figured since the stock has a rebuild stamp thats what it should have. No Verdigris on the medal parts of sling. I purchase it from a well known collector, prob a member on here as well.  The front sight, Type II marked SN, besides the stock was the hardest part to find. Rob C. had it, but I didn't find his site until just recent. Big smile      
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 9:47pm
Hey Rich, Think that stock would go nicely on my 5.7 MMJ Spitfire, if it is available how about a PM.
Cheers, Woof woof Gus an me
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2017 at 7:22pm
Sorry for the confusion Rich, I was talking about verdegris on the Boyt Military sling.

What markings are on the slide?
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2017 at 8:02pm
Actually there was the green on one piece, what's that mean? The slide is marked different than I've seen. Instead of. N followed by a number it's 13 followed by N.   I was thinking maybe I got a fake, but I did find mention where a collector had the same. Have you heard of such?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2017 at 8:50pm
The presence of verdigris can be an indicator of a particular parts composition be it copper, brass or bronze.

N13 is NPM (National Postal Meter).
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2017 at 12:09pm
Welcome Rich! I'm a fairly new addition to the CCC as well! It's been very informative!
 Post Reply Post Reply