The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New here, from greater Tacoma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kettbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here, from greater Tacoma
    Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 1:39am
I've always been around weapons. I served 20 years 8 days as professional user with the US Cavalry. I retired out of Ft Lewis 2006

I have a growing WW2 miniatures collection in the small 15mm scale and a more modest collection of the larger 28mm metal soldiers. Lots of other historical miniatures. I've also crafted a number of 'masters' from which other miniatures are cast.  I'm also a serious Chevy Muscle Car guy, plenty of garage toys, engine stuff, etc.

I'm trying to sort out the new build Carbines so that I can decide between a new build or a USGI unit. Everybody has black rifles, I like the older stuff. Use would be Plinking, home defense, local shooting club events. Reviews on most of the newer stuff tend to be old, early build stuff. Five-Seven years later, what are people experiencing?  I may also get some kit an ride in my pal's WW2 Jeep for some events so flip sight, high wood, and type 1 barrel band are my cup of tea.  Anybody near Tacoma that could further my Carbine education, would love to meet you!

Scouts Out!
George
George Kettler
US Cavalry (Ret)
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 4:41am
Welcome aboard from an old Sailor. Aviation Machinist's Mate, (Jet). I understand how you feel. I am preparing to buy another M1 Carbine and a Ruger 5.56. (I have an fondness for the M1 Carbine because it is made from wood and steel).

I live along the Columbia River 29.4 miles from Downtown Portland, Oregon along US Highway 30 (you perform the mathematic calculations and you'll figure it out).

Glad to have you here.  
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

Wrdsmth View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrdsmth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 7:57pm
Welcome George! Nice to see you here.

Writer, Hot Rodder, Racer, Life Enthusiast
kettbo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kettbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 11:52am
thx for the welcome Captain O and Wrdsmth, a pal from MN!

Thx for the tip on the PROJECT SHEEPDOG improvements to the newer carbines.

Local guy "SA" has two CMP/Korean carbines, beaters. I will visit him soon.  Today I have business in LACEY, just east of Olympia. One exit closer to the house is the CABELA's. I was there a few years back, they had a collection of 'classic' carbines. Then I had little knowledge of the CARBINE aside from many producers, scads built, fun stuff, and that I should have bought EVERY ONE offered to me plus others back in the day.  If the collection is still there, I'll make a full report.

They are likely to have some new stuff there
George Kettler
US Cavalry (Ret)
 Post Reply Post Reply