The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New here and to M1 Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 12:50pm
I'm thinking an "HI" on that hammer. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

There has been some pretty nice stocks come out of this Midway batch! How about your hammer Mekc57, can you see any markings?

As a former cabinet maker and woodworker, it’s really hard for me to not “fix” the filler in the stock lol. They sanded it against the grain and it bugs me to no end but I also don’t want to ruin what’s left of the patina there.
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 12:58pm

Could be. The sear is clear RI
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Mekc57 Mekc57 wrote:

As a former cabinet maker and woodworker, it’s really hard for me to not “fix” the filler in the stock lol. They sanded it against the grain and it bugs me to no end but I also don’t want to ruin what’s left of the patina there. 

I suggest that you leave it alone. We have already seen pictures of some of these nice stocks screwed up by over cleaning and incorrect finishes applied.Disapprove
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 1:20pm

I suggest that you leave it alone. We have already seen pictures of some of these nice stocks screwed up by over cleaning and incorrect finishes applied.Disapprove
I know. I have used some 0000 SW and raw linseed oil I had for oil painting to clean and oil it. That’s all I’m going to use. It had some mold and grime that I had to clean off. It’s just hard not to. The guy that filled it was definitely not a wood guy

Edited by Mekc57 - Jul 12 2021 at 1:39pm
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 2:32pm

There has been some pretty nice stocks come out of this Midway batch! How about your hammer Mekc57, can you see any markings?

Not necessarily seeing that, but they generally beat the sh*t out of those goat gun stocks from Ethiopia.
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 3:06pm

Yeah, that makes sense now that I looked it up. That would make that Inland also.
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 10:03pm
As Why Carbines? pointed out the Early QHMC 'Big Wheel' Crossed Cannons stamp. I've only handled 3, 2 I own, one has been cut down to Low wood with remnants of Korean rack paint job. The other is very nice but I don't own a early enough QHMC to use it in.
IMO these are rare stocks to come across. I have notes somewhere that estimate the short period QHMC used the Big Wheel Cartouche.

I've seen a number of the Midways still having the Dog leg hammers, but many of them have the later 26 Coil hammer spring.

Mek,
Could you count the numbers of coils on your hammer spring ?  Just curious.

To Add, Dan is looking for a thin spot in your Barrel finish where the barrel band set on the barrel while in the park tank. Look for a Thin finish area forward of your gas cylinder.
He's also looking for what we often call a Two Tone Finish look on the sides of the Receiver. Sometimes because of more Grit blasting on top and less on the lower sides, we see a two tone appearance.
Hope this made sense...

I can't seem to find a picture right now of the thin finish on the barrel where the barrel band was setting. It will look thin, Almost like rubbing wear on that area.

I did find a picture of the 2 tone look:
Two Tone look on a Inland with a SG supplied receiver- Top was blasted heavier so the finish is lighter in color to reduce any glare/shine. Less grit blasting on the bottom..... That's why the color difference. The bottom taking the finish darker.... Almost a blued look in sunshine.

HTH,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 11:32pm
Early Inlands had a Dulite finish, AKA black oxide, AKA blued. The finish was too shiny so they blasted the metal that would be exposed to reduce reflection off the receiver.

That barrel flat looks dead on blued and not blasted and why I asked.
When they switched to parkerizing they also blasted the exposed metal and you can observe that two tone finish

CCNL 346-8 and ccnl 253-5
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2021 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Early Inlands had a Dulite finish, AKA black oxide, AKA blued. The finish was too shiny so they blasted the metal that would be exposed to reduce reflection off the receiver.

That barrel flat looks dead on blued and not blasted and why I asked.
When they switched to parkerizing they also blasted the exposed metal and you can observe that two tone finish

CCNL 346-8 and ccnl 253-5

There does seem to be a duller finish on the top half of the receiver. My eyes can’t tell on the barrel blueing. 
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2021 at 12:08am
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

As Why Carbines? pointed out the Early QHMC 'Big Wheel' Crossed Cannons stamp. I've only handled 3, 2 I own, one has been cut down to Low wood with remnants of Korean rack paint job. The other is very nice but I don't own a early enough QHMC to use it in.
IMO these are rare stocks to come across. I have notes somewhere that estimate the short period QHMC used the Big Wheel Cartouche.

I've seen a number of the Midways still having the Dog leg hammers, but many of them have the later 26 Coil hammer spring.

Mek,
Could you count the numbers of coils on your hammer spring ?  Just curious.

To Add, Dan is looking for a thin spot in your Barrel finish where the barrel band set on the barrel while in the park tank. Look for a Thin finish area forward of your gas cylinder.
He's also looking for what we often call a Two Tone Finish look on the sides of the Receiver. Sometimes because of more Grit blasting on top and less on the lower sides, we see a two tone appearance.
Hope this made sense...

I can't seem to find a picture right now of the thin finish on the barrel where the barrel band was setting. It will look thin, Almost like rubbing wear on that area.

I did find a picture of the 2 tone look:
Two Tone look on a Inland with a SG supplied receiver- Top was blasted heavier so the finish is lighter in color to reduce any glare/shine. Less grit blasting on the bottom..... That's why the color difference. The bottom taking the finish darker.... Almost a blued look in sunshine.

HTH,
Charlie-P777

By my count, 26 coils in my hammer spring
2 tone finish. Best picture I got of it

Former USMC
NRA Life Member
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2021 at 10:51am
I’m sorry I don’t have better lighting and camera equipment. I’m working with a desk lamp and an iPhone so not the best.
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2021 at 10:55am
I get decent results with florescent lights in my shop area or Sunlight. No bright blaring Sunlight, but in a window sill out of direct light.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

I get decent results with florescent lights in my shop area or Sunlight. No bright blaring Sunlight, but in a window sill out of direct light.

It’s been in the 100*+ zone around here lately so sunlight is something to be avoided.
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2021 at 12:15pm

Here’s a better picture of the color difference in the receiver or at least what’s left of it.

Edited by New2brass - Jul 13 2021 at 12:30pm
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2021 at 7:39am

It’s been in the 100*+ zone around here lately so sunlight is something to be avoided.

We have a black cat that gets angy if he gets in direct Summer Sun.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2021 at 9:37am

We have a black cat that gets angy if he gets in direct Summer Sun.

Maybe because it may run in to 'Dog Pee Lady' ?

Unhappy
Living Free because of those that serve.....
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2021 at 1:20pm
Wrong font for an IP. I believe it’s an HI
Mekc57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mekc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2021 at 4:25pm

took her to the range today. At the 50 yard line it tore up the right side of the bullseye. At 100 yards it was still hitting right even after moving the rear sight quite far left.
This is the first mag at 100 yards. This was also”rapid fire” not slow fire, 15 round in about 15-20 seconds.
Former USMC
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2021 at 4:36pm
Not uncommon to see carbines with the windage adjustment ran all way over against the left stop. I have handled one carbine that had windage set all way to the right stop and it was a Plainfield.

If you can’t get it to print left with the rear sight all way over you can also drift the sight body left, but it might be time to see how straight the barrel is. Pretty sure you had already verified index-mark alignment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>