The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New from up north

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from up north
    Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 12:39am
Hey everyone.  New member here from British Columbia, Canada.  Signed up a little while ago, but just starting to find some time now to have a good look through the forum.

I have been playing with M1 carbines for several years now, but only in the last two have I really started to seriously attempt collecting them. 

As I have been told, and I am certainly finding through experience, finding completely genuine examples of factory USGI M1 carbines in Canada is not common.

In the past year I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon, not just one, but two National Postal Meter carbines (SN#s: 418xxxx and 438xxxx) that appear to retain their factory parts. Unfortunately both of them show previous owners custom handiwork as well.

I have completed a data sheet for the 418xxxx and plan to do the same for the 438xxxx soon.  It is pretty neat to see how similar they both are in terms of the parts markings each of them have.

Below is a picture of the earlier one.  Will try and post a number of photos of both soon and hopefully I can get some input from the experts out there.

Really looking forward to learning as much as I can about these intriguing firearms.

Kind regards

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 6:21am
Welcome to the forum!  As you've seen there are several knowledgeable folks on here that can help answer whatever carbine questions you might have. You've already mastered posting pics so that was the hard part, at least for me.  Good looking carbine - Looks like a high wood stock in the pic and the patina is nice.  I would say you have a couple nice carbines for sure and I look forward to hearing more about them. BTW, what kind of "previous owners custom handiwork" do they have?

Again, welcome and thanks for sharing.
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 10:51am
Yes, young enough to have been around computers all my life, but not so young that I was born with a cell phone in my hand Wink

So when the NPM came to me originally, this is how she looked ....

Someone figured the barrel needed a little ventilation I guess (it was the correct 'TN' marked hand guard). They also did some sort of nasty black paint job to the barrel itself.  The stock had been finished with a lacquer of some sort too.

Unfortunately never a true collector after a bit of restoration.  Still a nice example.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 12:33pm
Welcome! A great example of an NPM with a Marlin barrel. Don't see many of those around these days. Thanks for sharing.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 4:40pm
Coincidentally, the other NPM (SN# 438xxxx, sub-contract marked 'U' for Union Switch & Signal) that I picked up recently has the opposite issues with the stock set.  The hand guard (2 rivet TN marked) is okay other than it being finished in lacquer, but the stock has been heavily modified.

Unfortunately, the receiver and barrel (also MARLIN marked) has been hot blued, and a small chunk of barrel extension has also been added.

After field stripping it, all the parts seem to be correctly marked though.  

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 7:08pm
Welcome to the forum. I guess that you could say that the vent holes on the the one's handguard and the barrel extension on the other one add character, I find both modifications pretty interesting. Regardless nice pics, thanks for sharing.  
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 7:52pm
Welcome to the forums! Please do fill out data sheets. At very least PM me the serial number of the NPM U and barrel make date as I am compiling the serial number lists of all subcontracted receivers and lineouts for the club.

Is the barrel band a type 2 or a type 3 cut down?

Best, Dan
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 8:29pm
The NPM-U has a genuine Type II barrel band as far as I can tell.

Here are a few more pictures from my initial break down of the carbine ....

The color of the trigger housing is something I would like to know about.  I have seen a couple Inland ones like that, but don't know anything about why it would be like that.

The marking on the sling is something I have not come across before either.  An input would be much appreciated.

ps. The extractor is marked 'IN' and the firing pin 'DN'.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 10:06pm
The Bavarian and Austrian states blued a lot of carbines. Usually they are marked on receiver near the bolt. Click on top banner then on left side menu click on occupation carbines.

In there is "the Armory" with lots of pictures of carbines.

It is believed that the trigger housings turn plum when blued at the wrong temperature. This may be due to the composition of the material used. There are a few other theories and documentation of plum housings. Hopefully we can find some definitive information.

Nice sling!

Any markings on the band?
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 11:19pm
Unmarked barrel band. Which to the best of my knowledge would be correct for the serial number of this carbine.

Thanks for the info on the trigger housing.  I look forward to figuring out something definitive.  

From my previous experience with German issued M1 carbines, I saw none of the normal indicators on this particular carbine (last 4 digits of serial # stamped into stock set, trigger housing, slide, etc.) that made me think it had seen that sort of use.  Which sort of led me to believe the bluing, was also done by the same person who modified the stock.  Just a guess though ...

Post Reply Post Reply