Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need help with T3 rear sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help with T3 rear sight
    Posted: Oct 23 2019 at 1:03pm

Need help with determining the correct Inland T3 rear sight.

I am restoring Inland SN 6,703,XXX. It currently has a T3 rear sight stamped I.R.Co. 7160060. However, according to info in CCNL 72, it could have any adjustable sight other than one with the 7160060 PN on it. The T3 stamped with 7160060 seems to be later than 6,703,XXX.

The stake marks (see photos) indicate to me that this might have been the only rear sight installed on this receiver. If so, why would it be one with the PN 7160060 on it.

Is there some other evidence that will clear this up?

Many thanks

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2019 at 1:31pm
colreed, your serial # is not too early for the IRCO 7160060 stamped sight. Look at CCNL 372, it covers serial block 6219684-6449868, earlier serials that yours with reported use of that sight.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2019 at 3:52pm
I believe the JAO and IRCO Rear Adj sights WITH Numbers were mistakenly wrote up in Harrisons book as being post war replacement parts.... Thus the confusion.

I know the JAO With Number first appeared spring of 44.
I'd assume the IRCO with number was near the same time frame.

Either way.. Sounds like Cole is good to go.
When looking at your staking,it appears the sight may have been re-adjusted more to the left, after it was staked.
Maybe it became loose?

Good Luck on your project Cole,

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2019 at 5:33pm
Thanks for your replies.
Looks like I can call it 'good'. Leavin' it alone.
colreed
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
 Post Reply Post Reply