Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Recent Inland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 8:22am
Does anyone have any idea where this carbine was when it got this stenciled rack number applied ? I don't mind it and actually think I like it. Sometimes I think wrong and ask do collectors frown on these numbers ? The fact that it's there leads me to think it was never sanded along with how the cartouche stands up. Thanks
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
swamprat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swamprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by zenfly zenfly wrote:

Does anyone have any idea where this carbine was when it got this stenciled rack number applied ? I don't mind it and actually think I like it. Sometimes I think wrong and ask do collectors frown on these numbers ? The fact that it's there leads me to think it was never sanded along with how the cartouche stands up. Thanks

there are some products you can use to remove the rack numbers if you want, but most if not all can and will effect the finish. If you want to completely strip the stock down in boiling water with TSP, clean it real well with a plastic bristled brush, thoroughally dry it and apply new coats of Linseed or Tung and to seal it, then in the process of cleaning it there are several options, bix paint stripper being a good one. The place i've seen this activity most often is police departments, but there's no way to tell.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2018 at 3:08pm
Water or water based products will destroy a collector stock period!
Boiling water will make sure that the CC will swell to oblivion. Even after sanding the raised grain eventually the CC may raise above the stock.

The only thing that should touch a collector stock is Raw Linseed Oil.

If the rack number bothers you I would see if RLO would emulsify it and some light rubbing with something like blue Jean scraps on paint only.

Start with least impact and work your way up.

However there may be a noticeable difference in finish due to blocking the UV rays.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12