The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My operating slide came off track just tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skunk62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My operating slide came off track just tonight.
    Posted: Nov 28 2021 at 2:56am
I have not shot my Inland Div. imported carbine yet after it came back from Fulton Armory. But I happened to pick it up and I racked the slide a few times just for the heck of it. Even though the bad thing about doing that is the inevitable dry snap you have to do the un-cock it. 

Well about the third rack the operating slide came off of the track!!! I had to disassemble it to get it back on track because I could not otherwise get the right side locking lug back into the grove it needs to be in to rotate the bolt open. All the jiggering and jostling in the world would not get it back in, so I had to take it down and put it back together.

But now I'm thinking I'm not going to shoot the thing because that could be really bad to happen during firing. There are three dismounting notches for disassembly with the rearmost one being how the slide became dislodged possibly. The one at the back where the slide slides along the track (back where the operating grip is that you grip with your fingers) the dismounting notch must have allowed the slide nub to come out off the track. That's all I can figure happened anyway.

So, since I'm not a gunsmith I'm not keen on trying to do anything to it. And I'm surprised it came back from Fulton able to allow the slide to dislodge! Now should I just take it to a gunsmith or ship it back to Fulton? What would you do? I'm fairly certain none of you guys would shoot it like this. Is there too much play in the slide overall? I'm for sure not going to bend the rear part of the slide over to the left to stay in better because I'm not sure what other effects that might have.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2021 at 6:53am
Not to discount the fact there could be an issue, if one pulls the slide outward while racking, it increases the likelihood of pulling it out of the track. If it will pull out of the track b4 the slide tab reaches the dismounting notch….that’s a different story.
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2021 at 7:57am
"if one pulls the slide outward while racking, it increases the likelihood of pulling it out of the track."- floydthecat

When I first shot my NPM 4.26 bring-home that I know is in spec and has what I'm sure is a low overall round count thru it,( maybe 200 since '47) I was quite concerned that the slide derailed out of the single dismount notch about the third time I was charging it. One of the members here pointed out to me what floyd stated above and to avoid doing that. sure enough, when I was racking the slide I was pulling the gun toward me causing the outward pressure. When I corrected that, no more unintentional derails!
   I recently put a NOS type 5 slide (with maximum lug area) on my 4.14 shooter and noticed that even with that, if you rack it several times with outward pressure, it will derail every few times when it passes the notch just right.

John

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2021 at 11:51am
Floyd, pulling the slide from the underside will also make it jump the groove.  These guys need to learn to pull the slide from the top with a slight downward pressure to keep from dismounting the slide. Too many guys want to do an underhand pull and that will cause problems almost every time. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

pulling the slide from the underside will also make it jump the groove.  These guys need to learn to pull the slide from the top with a slight downward pressure to keep from dismounting the slide. Too many guys want to do an underhand pull and that will cause problems almost every time. 

Agree Jim.

From TM9-1276_1947

(10) Operating slide. Operating slide rear guide lug should not become disengaged from receiver when reciprocated unless undue upward pressure is applied. If this happens, look for bent bar or excessively worn retaining lugs on operating slide body.

I've had one carbine that had slide dis-mounting issues.
I found that the Stop Pin wasn't fully retracting. After replacing the inner Stop Pin Friction Spring, No more issues. Also don't overlook having a good Op Slide Spring.

Good Luck,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
skunk62 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skunk62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2021 at 8:09pm
So then I should do what? Almost all of my springs were replaced because the carbine sat in a warehouse in Ethiopia for probably 40 years after they stopped using carbines, maybe 50 years. And it was sent there right after W.W.II and then the Ethiopians took (most likely) to it Korea to fight as part of the United Nation force. Although it's said they saw no heavy action.

I would think the experts at Fulton Armory would have checked all the specs to ensure it was within original specs and good to go. So you guys talked within yourselves regarding your own experiences and what happened to your carbines at times but what do you think is wrong with mine and is it just my racking it with the wrong pressure (outward and up)? And otherwise okay? The slide should be within spec unless Fulton dodged a few steps and done me bad.

Should I shoot it and see what, if anything. happens?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2021 at 8:43pm
Shoot It!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2021 at 3:58pm
Yeah man, when I first got my carbine I was pulling the charging handle on the op rod towards me and had it happen once. Just pull straight back (not up) and you will be fine. 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2021 at 7:41pm
I have only two carbines that cannot have the slide disengage as you described. One is an early Winchester spring tube that has a tab that blocks the dismount notch in the receiver. The spring tube must be removed to disengage the slide. The other is a later Universal with the stamped operating slide. It's a totally different design and the receiver must be separated from the trigger housing and recoil spring guides before the slide can be disengaged.

I will go as far to say that if you weren't able to disengage the slide as you described, with the exception of early spring tube carbines (Winchester and QHMC), something may be wrong. Also, with the slide disengaged you are also able to remove the bolt without any further disassembly.

Like Wayne said. Shoot it! It's okay.
JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply