Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new S'G', two parts in question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new S'G', two parts in question
    Posted: Jul 01 2021 at 6:18pm
I recently obtained a 3.6M S'G' with 11-43 barrel with 2 P's.
Everything looks good except the T1 band and the front sight.
I have researched the NLs, *Riesch, and WarBaby, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Is the unmarked T1 band legit or repro?
Could the unmarked T2 fabricated front sight be OK for this carbine?
Thanks much for any inputs.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2021 at 7:03pm
In my opinion the T1 band is legit. The front sight, it sure looks like it's been there undisturbed for a long time.

Looks to be in excellent condition. More pics!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2021 at 7:51pm
I find both milled (marked "N") and fabricated (unmarked) rear sights when searching CMP Completed Auctions listed in the Serial Number Spread Sheets for carbines in the same serial number range with Inland barrels like yours. I think the Type 2 is probably original.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/m1-carbine-serial-number-spread-sheets_topic5249.html

The unmarked Type 1 barrel band looks okay with me as well.
JackP
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2021 at 9:33pm
I've seen weld scars like yours on several apparently original carbines Notice the irregular placement of the scars. As far as the front sight goes, they are sometimes found on S'G' barrels, but are believed to be post WWII replacements although to the best of my knowledge, there is no documentation either way. However; having said that, the welded sight is a much later part that I think came around after the S'G' contract was terminated.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2021 at 10:35pm
Does the front of the sight have a punch mark where you can see the end of the key? It would look like it was punched to secure the front sight to the key.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 6:26pm
No, it does not.
I am almost ready to change it out but it looks so natural there. The finish match is spot on.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 10:10pm
I would not change it. I have seen 2 other S'G' in that serial number range that appear to be original and they had unmarked fabricated front sights.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2021 at 11:20am
Many thanks for all the comments from everyone. Although odd, I do believe these parts could be legit for my SN and will leave them alone. As it is, it is one of the nicest carbines in my rack. 
 Post Reply Post Reply