Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My M1 Shooter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My M1 Shooter
    Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 2:55pm
  Im trying to post pics, but they are too large. I dont know how to reduce size.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 2:58pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
MeLade View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 7:34pm
  Thank you W5
 I am working off a Chrome book. I dont know if its the same.
MeLade View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 7:59pm
   I also would like to ask about AIMs ... Italian M1 Carbine Bayonet With Plastic Grip bayonets, any info about them.  GI, WWII,if not what era? Or were these issued out to the Italian police or military with the M1 Carbines. Im thinking about picking one of these up. I would like a WWII GI issued bayonet but these seem closer to my price range. Tx 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 8:19pm
The basic concept of a chromebook is that it has minimal selfcontained software.  Most things are done through web based programs (nowadays called 'apps'). 
If you are working with Google Photos there should be a way to reduce the size. 
What I'm not sure about is the storage memory on a Chromebook.  But it should be possible to download the reduced photos to the chrombook or USB drive on the Chromebook.

Alternatively it is possible (or was) to hot link photos from google photos. 

A work around would be to share the google photo link with one of us here (via email) and then we could download and upload it.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by MeLade MeLade wrote:

I also would like to ask about AIMs ... Italian M1 Carbine Bayonet With Plastic Grip bayonets, any info about them.  GI, WWII,if not what era? 

Late 50's early 60's, Italian surplus. Here is an old thread about them.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
MeLade View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 10:22pm
I hope these work

https://imgur.com/eS3sC0x
    https://imgur.com/I7aHiRL

Edited by MeLade - Jan 18 2021 at 10:25am
1258combatengineer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 10:58pm
i use postimages.org 
and it works pretty good for uploading photos
Its free
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by MeLade MeLade wrote:

I hope these work

https://imgur.com/eS3sC0x

Nice Carbine!!

Up until today I've been able to post photos from Imgur directly here, but for some reason it isn't working now.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 11:35pm
  I tried it using Google Chrome and it seems to work. 

So to post an image directly here, go to Imgur and click on the photo you want to post. After the window opens, under the picture select the size of the photo you want to post. Next where you see the BBCode address, highlight the BBCode address and right click on it, then select copy.

Once back here on the forum where you're posting, right click and paste the BBCode in the window. When you post your reply, you should have a photo.
MeLade View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 10:30am
  Thanks 35Whelen   
  I was told 
   Winchester 5598xxx    1944
   Underwood barrel 1-43 with a flaming bomb
    23 S   On bolt  (I think)
    SG Trigger Housing
    MMQ barrel band
    -U- Hammer
    I,R.CO 7160060 -Rear Sight
    N   - Front sight
    R Inside bottom of slide
    Fat Belly stock, which I like 
   Thats all I have for now. Thanks for the help posting and information. 

Edited by MeLade - Jan 18 2021 at 11:18am
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 10:41am
  Your welcome!

What make carbine is that? It appears the serial number is on the rear ring of the receiver.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 11:24am
Has anyone here looked through old threads on any forum to research something or look for an answer and find the post is useless due to the missing pictures?
Photobucket was always a PITA to view, not they watermark or remove the pictures. All other free picture hosting the pictures will expire and make the thread have missing pictures

How many do not bother to look at all of the linked pictures if there are more than two or three?

When we started this forum we knew we had to have some way to host pictures. The problem with hosting pictures is the cost of storage as well as bandwidth.
The choice was to charge dues and have fancy software that takes an overly big picture and reduce it in size that can actually be seen.
the other option was to have software that limits the size of a picture and forgo charging a fee.

Take a look at the pictures in the newsworthy section, with proper cropping and sizing the pictures are plenty big. You will be surprised to know that the average size is only 720 DPI wide and all well under the 500kb limit.

If anybody has recommendations of apps to use please post them in the picture sizing thread to help others that wish to take a few moments to resize and post within out forum

If you can truly not figure out how to resize and or post them then let me know and you can email them to me to be cropped, resized and installed.
MeLade View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 12:54pm
      35 Whelen..
  I edited info on my Winchester
  New2brass..
   I understand completely and may take you up on posting for us. But thanks to 35 whelen we found a way to use the app we were using and hopefully the pics are sized OK.
   Once we learn an app or program for pics, things change. Or we dont use them enough and have to start all over again. Now its our 2 phones we are having problems with and have to get new ones. Our cell service & phones updated and now when we take a pic, it is a large file and we cant change it or dont know how to. So we have to have our kids teach us again. For example, typing this reply my text box disappeared when I went to look at a different page and had to retype it all over again.  Very frustrating. But working on it.  Just so you know, this is not a gripe or complaint towards anyone.  Just frustrating some times.
Thanks.
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 1:51pm
For user-side image manipulation I would recommend Gimp for the person wanting a full-featured photo editor. It is GPL, free, and available for Linux, Mac, and Windows. There is a whole lot more in there than you will likely ever need. Resizing and saving an image is as easy as:
1) Open file (.jpg .png. .bmp .tiff etc/etc/etc/etc...)
2) Optional: Image -> Trasnsform -> Rotate (if you need reorient)
3) Image -> Scale Image, set it for about 800x600 or 640x480.
4) Export As -> file type JPG-> change the quality (compression, check the "preview image" box to view the final size) to between 80-85%, you end up with a ~30-100kB file that is perfect for uploading to forums. (You can usually play with the compression values at get a very small file before graininess/distortion becomes apparent).

On the server side you can automatically rescale/compress images with the ImageMagick "identify" and "convert" commands and a little bit of scripting.
 Post Reply Post Reply