Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My IBM AO Grand Entrance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My IBM AO Grand Entrance
    Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 9:09pm
Hello to all,

I have owned my rifle for about 2 1/2 months now.  When I got her someone had put a coat of varnish on her and quite frankly I didn't like her all Shiny (Really Dirty but Very Shiny).  I have been working to fill out my Data Sheet, Cleaning her up (a lot of cleaning on the wood) for this very day.  Well the time for "Blondie" to make her grand entrance is here.

For the Record, I did change out 4 parts on her.  Replacement Parts were sold to me as USGI for the WWII time period.
1. Firing Pin (measurement was too short and out of specs)
2. Hammer (from AM to AMB)
3. Rear Sight (From Type 2 Milled H without shield to FO-B Flip Sights, I like the look of Flip sight)
4. Front Sight (From SI B that looked like someone did a home bluing  to SI B that looks much Better)

All of the above "As Bought" Parts have been saved and will stay with the rifle where ever that may lead after I'm gone.  They are part of its history and deserved to be preserved. 

I also Changed out all the Springs.
1. Operating Rod Spring was nearly 3/8 inch shorter than New USGI)
2. Hammer spring was 1/16 inch shorter than New USGI)
3. Extractor Spring (Same Extractor just a new Spring)
4. Ejector Spring and Plunger (Figured will all the other new springs, Why Not)
5. Sear Spring (Same Sear)
6. Triger Spring (Same reason as Ejector, Why Not)

As Above all the old springs have been saved and will go with the rifle as well.

I am posting a link to my Photobucket area where I have all the pictures stored.  From fully assembled and broken down to the indivual groups, Barrel, Receiver, Trigger Housing, Trigger Parts, Bolt, and Slide.

If there are any other photos you would like to see please let me know and I will be happy to post them up.

Please let me know what you think of "Blondie" and feel free to post your comments, especially if you see a reproduction part!

I'm not going to change her as long as she keeps firing.  Good, Bad, or Indeferent;  She is what she is.

Here is the link: Photobucket

Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
DPC,RMC,ITC(SW) USN Retired
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 9:43pm
Nice looking Carbine
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 8:32am
Nice Carbine, congratulations!
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2022 at 8:12am
Thank You Durango,  I worked my butt off with "0000" steal wool pads making small circles to get all the old finish off it.

You would not believe how much dark crap came off/out of the wood.  Wound up using almost the entire quart of Formby Refinisher changing out dirty for clean, but I think it was worth it.

I thought about staining but I think I like the light color, hince the name "Blondie" I gave her.
Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2022 at 9:14am
Stock came out great. Don’t get rid of the original front sight It’s very common to see shiny dark almost black front sights on light grey IBM barrels on original IBM Carbines.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2022 at 10:30am
Da1Cheif, Did you happen to look at the butt of the stock when you had the buttplate off?

Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2022 at 2:10pm
New2Brass,

Yes, I had taken the Buttplate off during cleaning but never really looked for markings on the actual butt of the stock, until you mentioned it.

Yes there are markings there

Between the Top Hole and Middle hole there appears to be the number 5
Between the Middle Hole and the Bottom hole there appears to be the number 4

3 Pictures - Please see Link Below  

Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2022 at 2:22pm
New2rass/Dan,

Do  you need me to post my answere over on that forum thread as well ?
Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2022 at 5:07pm
That is interesting as the others I believe were all a single and double digit.
If you like to make a post there as well, have at it!
grburrell View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grburrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2022 at 4:07pm
nice looking gun!
 Post Reply Post Reply