Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2019 at 11:46pm
tenOCEE

This just floors me, I've never heard of this issue before now, I wonder for how many years has this been going on and nobody knew. Question now is, does this affect all Universals or just a few, can they be inspected for this thin area before it causes damage? A lot has to be wrong for a round to go off before fully chambered (out of battery), and if it does it'll cause a lot of damage and is extremely dangerous. What does Jim have to say, has he seen this before, if anyone has surely it would be him? Someone should have reported this long before now, a gun prone to going off out of battery would grab a lot of attention.
Now I have to ask, what is so wrong with a gen two gun, other than it is not USGI, Universal never claimed it was, it's just a. shoot alike, look alike, that's a good lesser expensive alternative when USGI guns are expensive and hard to get.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 9:10am
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 9:55am
I guess you’d need to see a slow-mo of one cracking under fire in that particular spot on the receiver, well to the rear of the bolt lug and buckled up about half-way down the rail.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 11:12am
Hey guys

tenOCEE ... a few questions ...

- I'm sorry but please remind me when we communicated about Universals. I get so much e-mail sometimes I can't keep track of who is who without a reminder

- Was the one you have shown in the pics with the damaged receiver the one you contact me about?

- It would also help to know the serial number. You can pm me with it if you don't wish to put it on the forum

- Was the receiver like this when you bought the carbine, or did it happen while you were firing it?

A little background....

One of the reasons I started working on the history of Universal and the carbines they made was all the info on the internet about how bad they were, how unsafe they were, etc. This made them a primary target for a good deal of my research efforts.

Part of the research was I searched the internet for stories, pictures etc of people who had experienced problems with a Universal. What I found was many people had heard or read about the issues somewhere other than first hand. The few I could locate that had experienced a problem none had taken it to a gunsmith to determine the cause, none no longer had the carbine (as to be expected), none had photos, and the list goes on. Not faulting anyone but getting to the source of the problem requires details.

Over time I've obtained info with details on about a dozen Universals that have had issues. Keeping in mind they made carbines from 1962 - 1984 with about 360,000 of them being the hybrid design that started at s/n 100,000. Also keep in mind there are certain things with the design of all semi-auto center-fire rifles, not just carbines, that can go wrong for a variety of reasons unrelated to who made the gun. Inevitably some people look at who made it and draw conclusions unrelated to finding out exactly what went wrong and why. So I look and ask for details.

Universal did have a run of poor decisions, changes and quality control 1969-1972 after a group of investors bought the controlling interest in Universal and started implementing changes focused on profit without regard to function and safety. A few months back I expanded one of the pages on Universal to include the issues 1969-1972.

Scroll down to Changes & Dark Days 1969-1972. Be sure to read all the way to the bottom. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal2.html

The investors were bought out and things were put back on track 1975-1984. One reason why I asked about the serial number. I don't have the exact serial number cut off of start and finish for the investment group. The restart in 1975 started with s/n 300,000 to separate the new ones from the prior ones. The lowest s/n I'm aware of that had problems is in the 165,000 range.

I've personally owned and/or examined and fired a number of Universals between s/n 107957 and 137120 without any issues. Many more with s/n's above 300,000. Having personally safety inspected each one before firing as I do with almost every carbine before firing. Even new commercial carbines and GI carbines. To include checking the headspace. A critical element for every center-fire semi-auto rifle that most people don't do or have done. If it hasn't been safety inspected and something goes wrong there is no standard by which to judge what was right or wrong in the first place.

Now, to the carbine in the photos that has the damage....

The bulge along the top of the track the slide moves back and forth on is something I've encountered before. But not specific to any one manufacture and not just with commercial carbines. There are a couple of things that can cause it.

Improper hardening of the receiver. Take a look at the receivers on the following two pages. By Ermas Manufacturing in Steelville, OH. They didn't harden their receivers.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ermas2.html

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ermas.html

Then take a look at the next page on the current commercial Inland Mfg carbines. Different issue and not as obvious as those by Eras, this issue was improper casting of the receiver that resulted in warped receivers. With the warping not consistently in the same spot.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_inland.html

The #1 cause for the bent slide track with other carbines, GI included, has been damage either building up over time or immediate from improper headspace, out of battery firing, or a number of other things related to a pressure build up in the chamber that overcame the locking bolt lugs and bulged the receiver to various degrees. Where the receiver bulges is where the notch that travels in the receiver slide channel was when the burst vented or the round went off. With too much headspace usually there is also damage to the receiver where the right and left bolt lugs sit locked but not always. Too little headspace can cause the out of battery firing as can a number of other things.

Longitudinal cracks along the top of the receiver are a rarity. Would like to see a couple close ups from different angles of what looks like a crack.

I'm gonna stop for now. One last thing. As you pull the slide handle to the rear note at what point the slide's left lug reaches the dismount notch on the left side of the barrel and where the slide's lug at the handle is while traveling backwards down the right side of the receiver. Sorry, tired. Been up all nite.

tenOCEE ... is the barrel still attached to that receiver?

Jim
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 1:16pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 1:44pm

RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 7:44pm
tenOCEE

For me to pass judgement on the crack and determine if it is safe to use or not, I'd need to have it X-rayed or at least magnafluxed to determine if it's just a surface crack or goes deeper.
One other question, this second carbine that the owner said blew up and parts went flying, can I ask, what parts, if you looked at the gun at all, and the gun blew up as he said, surely you'd see the damage and what parts were missing. A blown up gun would show much more damage than just a bulge and a crack.
Also found it strange he wouldn't sell to you, I wonder why he brought it to a gun show in the first place, a gun that blew up can't be worth very much. I'm sure Jim would be very interested in looking at it.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 9:14pm
Then have yours tested and magnafluxed. You missed where I posted why he brought it. Are you saying I'm lying?
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 10:04pm
tenOCEE

I don't think anyone is thinking you are lying. Just trying to get more details to help understand. To know where the damage was on the other would be helpful.

I've asked a couple people to have a look at your pics for their opinions. Their background is beyond mine. I'm not a gunsmith. Just have experience with a bunch of these but I'm not alone.

It would be helpful to have a couple more pics. One looking down on the right side of the receiver showing the upthrust in the slide track and the area that looks like a crack. With the receiver horizontal instead of from left or right. Also one looking up into the slide track where it bows upwards showing the area below what appears to be a crack.

I'm tempted to take you up on your offer of a sale. I'm hesitant only because of the time lag in this stupid State I live in that has a 10 day wait after it arrives and I can get to the FFL to do the paperwork. Different topic to avoid here as it detracts from the focus.

The info I have, which includes the tool and die guy at Universal 1979-1984, has indicated all of Universal's receivers were milled from forged steel. With the exception of 1969-1972 those investors tried cast receivers. I have yet to find a Universal receiver that was cast. The extra pics could help with this too.

One thing I'd do is have the receiver hardness checked in several places. To rule out or confirm if it's out of spec. I no longer have a hardness tester but several local metal shops will do it for less than $20 absent a report on the outcome.

If you can recall the damage the other one had besides the bowed slide track and what appeared to be a crack it may help too. If not, no biggee.

I appreciate you sharing this with us as I keep track of these and look for patterns within serial number blocks. One example isn't enough. But 3 examples is what prompted the addition of the 1969-1972 info and pics to the web page. It's the help from others willing to share that have made these web pages happen. We can accomplish more together than we can alone regardless of how much experience any one person has.

Thanks again ....

Jim

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 10:27pm
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 9:15am
My neighbor said that his brother ordered everything from the sears catalog. Does anyone have a sears catalog from 50 years ago?
Charles Wilson
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2019 at 12:17pm
Another thread with questions on cracked bolts and receivers

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/cracked-bolts-slides-and-receivers_topic3672.html

@Chuck, not what your looking for but some info and catalogs

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/universal-teflon-coated-m1-carbine-in-6970-catlg_topic1220.html
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2019 at 7:26am
Thanks @New2bras,  I see my model listed at 116.95, thanks again.
Charles Wilson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123