Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Dad with his Carbine in Korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bote99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Dad with his Carbine in Korea
    Posted: Mar 05 2019 at 8:51pm
Niterace7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niterace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2019 at 9:34pm
That’s a beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing. What do you suppose is in the crate behind him with the M1, M2, M3 etc. labeling?
bote99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bote99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2019 at 11:45pm
I think the boxes contain individual shells for a howitzer.  My dad went to Korea as a teenager from Alabama and left the Army as a SFC. Towards the end of his three years, he worked with the crew of an M1 240mm howitzer that looked like a monster in the pics.  His gun had the name "Brigadeer" painted on the side.  The shells in the boxes are probably from a smaller howitzer.  I'll post a pic of a guy in my dad's crew holding one of the big rounds.  
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2019 at 4:24am
OP, what a very special war time photo of your dad and holding a carbine! Thanks for share your cherished photos.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2019 at 6:32am
Great pic and thanks for sharing. Boxes look to be labeled for a 90mm gun.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2019 at 7:59am
What a great memory of your Dad!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Semper Fi, Bruce
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2019 at 8:33pm
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:57am
G Co., 2 Nd, BN, 120th IN, 30th ID, a Mortar company (Old Hickory) in Martain France Aug 11 1944 Holding hill #314 out numbered by about 100 to 1 successfully.

Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by bonnie bonnie wrote:

Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

This may be it?

The 90mm is what my dad served on during WWII. 165 AAA Battalion, 41st Infantry Division. New Guinea, Biak Island, then Luzon Philippines where they finished up preparing for the invasion of Japan when the war ended.

Dad said they all carried M1 Garands except for officers who carried M1 carbines and pistols. His was a Springfield
 Post Reply Post Reply