Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most complete in-house carbines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekruegerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

People switch out parts all of the time in an attempt to correct, especially with the prices of these things being as high as they are.

Yep, that is a real possibility.  However, my grandfather was in possession of the rifle since the 50's and it didn't see the light of day until I brought it out of the safe and starting going through it.  Either way, it is an interesting rifle to me.

FWIW, when I started getting into it, I was here on the forum asking questions.  Here is the original link...

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 10:53am
Okay, now I remember, your user should been familiar to me...my bad.

Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 6:35pm
This was a very interesting posting. I read your original posting - topic # 2841 and there doesn't appear that your carbine is anything but all original. Without knowing the background of this carbine, I would have passed it up thinking that at some point it was a rebuild. It really helps to know the chain of ownership.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 6:59pm

Originally posted by ekruegerv ekruegerv wrote:

I've got a winchester complete build in basically as new condition..  I've had the rifle apart for cleaning after shooting, EVERY part is winchester.  The weirdness is its a 131XXX serial number (early #), however it has type 3 stuff on it (bayonnette lug, adjustable rear sight, new bolt, etc) and never passed through the rebuild process.  I've had some people theorize what happened, but to me it's interesting.  

FWIW, inherited it from my grandfather who had the rifle tucked away for a long time..

Originally posted by ekruegerv ekruegerv wrote:

People switch out parts all of the time in an attempt to correct, especially with the prices of these things being as high as they are.

Yep, that is a real possibility.  However, my grandfather was in possession of the rifle since the 50's and it didn't see the light of day until I brought it out of the safe and starting going through it.  Either way, it is an interesting rifle to me.

FWIW, when I started getting into it, I was here on the forum asking questions.  Here is the original link...

As to the assertion of no rebuild marks proven it has not been through a rebuild is not a correct statement. Overseas rebuild programs did not mark the stocks. Only the stocks were marked stateside, so someone rebuilding or correcting could find a stock without rebuild marks.

But I digress.

Please read the replies to the linked post by Marty Black and you will find your answer!
Did you ever submit a data sheet on your Winchester? If not please do. It is quite possible your carbine is indeed correct.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 7:09pm
Yeah, I told him what he had if you go back and read the that link even before Marty did, not that it even matters. I just wish I hadn't muddled it all up today before I realized who it was....as I said my bad.
ekruegerv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekruegerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 11:00am
I've been having fun with the carbine and keeping it in tip top shape, maybe 300rds or so through it.

I'll get started on filling out the data sheet.  I think I'm going to pass on disassembling the bolt as I don't have the specialty tool, but everything else is easy peasy.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'll report back early next week.
ekruegerv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekruegerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 3:09pm

Yeah, I told him what he had if you go back and read the that link even before Marty did, not that it even matters. I just wish I hadn't muddled it all up today before I realized who it was....as I said my bad.

I have the data sheet filled out.  Took everything apart except for the bolt.  Everything is still apart so if anyone would like some additional pictures, it would be easy to post them.

Should I post the sheet here in this thread or start a new one?

BTW, I've never taken it all the way down, trigger, sear, etc.  Found a surprise once all the way in.. Don't know what to make of it though.

Also, I know that Parkerized = Green... Is Blued = Black?  The reason is that the hammer and pins are black colored.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 7:20pm
Winchester used blued hammers so you can use blued or black oxide either one. What was the surprise you found? There's a chance someone here could help you figure it out. One other thing, Parkerizing could still be grayish too, plus derivatives of that color depending on many different factors. You have a very unique carbine in a configuration not too often seen.
ekruegerv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekruegerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 9:44pm

Winchester used blued hammers so you can use blued or black oxide either one. What was the surprise you found? There's a chance someone here could help you figure it out. One other thing, Parkerizing could still be grayish too, plus derivatives of that color depending on many different factors. You have a very unique carbine in a configuration not too often seen.

Surprise that I wasn't expecting was an M2 sear in the trigger assembly.  Amazingly, I've already received a response regarding it from the forum.. Supposedly, at the very end of production winchester would use M2 and M1 sears interchangeably as both worked in the M1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12