The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More M1 Garands to CMP, are Carbines next?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More M1 Garands to CMP, are Carbines next?
    Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 9:25am
I just saw on another forum the the CMP is receiving 86,000 M1 Garands from the Philippines. Could more M1 Carbines be in the future or is that just wishful thinking?
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 9:52am
I agree if it happens it's good news, but condition, condition, condition may have never been so apt.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2017 at 9:59am
Agreed. But isn't that what the folks at CMP are supposed to figure out, sort and grade before sales take place?
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 8:03am
According to the NRA, there are 87,310 Garands and 770,160 Carbines in South Korea waiting to be repatriated. Oh, wait!!...given the current state of affairs on the peninsula, they might be needed in the near future.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 8:48am
With that kind of inventory the CMP wouldn't need to hold the infamous "lottery".   I say bring 'em back and while they are at it bring the 1911s with them.   

What about ammo?  Any guesstimates on what might become available?  
BullMastiff View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BullMastiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 9:58pm
According to what I read, these Garands are still in the cosmolene and in the wooden boxes that they were shipped in after WWII.

FWIW
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 10:00pm
Wow. That could be wonderful for collectors and shooters alike!
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2017 at 10:42pm
Yes and watch them all go up for sell on the auction side and sell for a god awful sum! Angry

The lotteries were good to me! I got a service grade M1, a M1D and a M1903A4 in the mid 90s, when it was DCM! Those were the days! Wish I had bought more!
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2017 at 3:16pm
Well, if CMP put ten Garands up for auction every week (86,000...520 a year), they could continue listing at that rate for the next 165 years. That'd keep the auction watchers happy for a while. 
 Post Reply Post Reply