The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making My Carbine Reliable for Home Defense

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 6:02am
Do what works. In some situations with some carbines and some magazines, reversing the springs might actually improve things. Depends if the round needs lifting from the back or the front.
Retired_LEO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired_LEO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 8:05am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Do what works. In some situations with some carbines and some magazines, reversing the springs might actually improve things. Depends if the round needs lifting from the back or the front.

Interesting - 

1.  On the firing line, I’m going to insert a fresh magazine and attempt to chamber a round.  If there’s a malfunction, I’m going to remove and mark that magazine and clear the weapon.

2.  Repeat the drill with each magazine.  Any malfunctioning mags get marked.   

3.  If there’s enough time, I’ll try to troubleshoot the marked magazines, including disassembly and switching springs around in them.

The problem is that I have a hard time getting the base off - little flimsy metal thing!!!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired_LEO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 8:07am

In reality, I only need one magazine that’s rock solid reliable and will reliably chamber a round each time.  If I get all 5 working, great.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the carbine.  I believe it’s the magazines and it’s the ones that I disassembled last time. 

I’ll find out. 

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 9:15am
Considered sacrilege in some circles, the black polymer Universal 4-round magazine will usually feed anything no matter what. It’s single stack and places the nose of the round right in front of the breech. People have caught-on and the prices for these things can get ridiculous. Might require a little fitting, but not much. I use them for several calibers. If a few rounds is all you need, these are the best feeders. Your carbine will not fall apart or blow up just because you insert a commercial plastic magazine.
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 9:56am
If the rifle is in spec in terms of the receiver and barrel all I've ever really done was all the proper updates. Clearly the later sights and barrel band have nothing to do with function.

However the M2 magazine latch, the changes to the bolt, trigger group and the slide are critical. I have 20 or so magazines, 1 that was clearly worn out so I trashed it. The M2 latch made all my magazines function 100 percent.

I carry the rifle with a 15 round magazine with 30 and 15 round replacements because the rifle carries nicer with the 15 round mags.

During cleaning the bolt and trigger group get dropped into a defense tub.
David Milisock
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 12:04pm
My understanding is this is a Plainfield
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired_LEO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

My understanding is this is a Plainfield

That is affirmative, Matt.  My dad, a WWII vet and no-nonsense depression-era survivor passed away in’03.

I don’t recall ever asking him about the carbine.  However, we lived in NJ, only 9 miles from Plainfield in the late ‘60s.  I bet he drove over there, looked over a few firearms, and bought the carbine used on sale.

This carbine has worn areas on the metal and the stock has some dings so me must’ve bought it used.  He was about function, not appearance. I’m also thinking he bought it on the eve of the 1968 gun control act.  I don’t recall him ever firing it.

The carbine is now a fascinating piece of family history for me.  I’d like to get it and myself ready for duty!

The deal with the magazines is that I don’t want to store it with one in the chamber.  All I want to do is get the vault open and chamber a round.  The safety will always be off.  That round has to chamber flawlessly every time, though.

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 5:27pm
I've got a 1968 made Plainfield and it can be a tad picky on what mags I use. It prefers USGI mags or KCI mags with the M1 style mag follower 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 5:59pm
The most recent Plainfield I have looked at for a guy had feeding issues. Only one out of some 15 magazines I tried worked. In this case, it had an aluminum trigger housing and the gun had been well used. The housing was really worn to the extent all the mags were floppy. I did make one mag work with a fresh catch. It would be great if OP could find a GI housing to try. The aluminum ones were likely only close to spec. when new and became more problematic as the carbine was used.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2022 at 7:16pm

The most recent Plainfield I have looked at for a guy had feeding issues. Only one out of some 15 magazines I tried worked. In this case, it had an aluminum trigger housing and the gun had been well used. The housing was really worn to the extent all the mags were floppy. I did make one mag work with a fresh catch. It would be great if OP could find a GI housing to try. The aluminum ones were likely only close to spec. when new and became more problematic as the carbine was used.

My 68 has a IBM USGI trigger housing and a mix of USGI trigger parts from the looks of it. Any feed issues I was having also could have been ammo related, I was feeding it Aquila brand ammo for awhile and I've always felt it was underpowered. Korean surplus no issues IIRR
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2022 at 1:35am
Would not want a .30M1  carabine as my first weapon, the chances are that if you notice someone they are already in your home so a 1911 would be a better choice and as a second gun a .30M1 in case they are further away outside
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2022 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Liberium Liberium wrote:

Would not want a .30M1  carabine as my first weapon, the chances are that if you notice someone they are already in your home so a 1911 would be a better choice and as a second gun a .30M1 in case they are further away outside
There's reasonable logic to your post. A 30 Carbine rifle with FMJ ammo can shoot completely through 99% of modern homes.
David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12