Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magazine identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magazine identification
    Posted: Apr 12 2020 at 8:23am
Hi,
I went looking at some magazine and there is some I can not identify the manufacturer (I have J.C. Harrison collectors guide and did not found an answer on uscarbinecal30.com) of.

So here is the one which elude my search:
- RUGG
- IU in a circle
- IS
- IA

So far I identify the followings:
SS, U, UU, KSG, SK, SYB, K.I., LU, O SG, UN.

I would be happy to get an identification from the knowledgeable persons on here.
Also of interest for me would be whether some magazine manufacturers are more rare than others.
Thank you in advance.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2020 at 8:29am
Here is a list put together by a club member 

PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2020 at 3:57am
Thank you for this.
What about rarer examples?
And are this bit an Carbine accessory? If positive, which period that would be?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2020 at 10:29am
Originally posted by PLN-TAP-7 PLN-TAP-7 wrote:

And are this bit an Carbine accessory? If positive, which period that would be?

Those are stripper clips, they came in 2 types, the type I with the magazine adapter (spoon) attached was used from 1945-1969. the type II has a removable magazine adapter and was used after 1969. The ammo that was on the stripper clips came in 6 pocket cloth bandoliers, 2 10 round clips per pocket for a total of 120 rounds per bandolier. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2020 at 10:38am
Thank you for the details.
Was the clips used during WW2?

Are the bandoliers as those ones (they are WW2, that I know, but maybe for the Garand).

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2020 at 11:02am
Not sure that the stripper clips were actually in use during WWII. Those bandoliers look to be similar to carbine ammo bandoliers, are there any markings on one of the pockets on the front side?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2020 at 11:09am
Last time I had a look at them I did not notice any marking.
One came from my dad and the other one from a old guy. I know for sure they are original.
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 12:51pm
I have some carbine ammo in strippers and bandoleers that were purchased at Camp Perry in the late 80's/early 90's when I was a teenager.  Dad and I went to the matches for several years and one of the vendors had some carbine ammo and Dad picked up a can. 

choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Here is a list put together by a club member 

Hmmm... This brings up a question for me. Are there other good sources for magazine markings? I have a Keller Brass magazine (upside down "KI"), but it has a type-1 base with a wide "K" stamp, not a type-2. I can not find this combination listed anywhere. Any insight or pointers?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 6:00pm
Keeler was the only magazine manufacturer to stamp a K on the base plates.
their SK for standard pro was reported with a Type one plate. 

Can you post a picture?

choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 6:43pm
My camera is being a bit fussy with focusing...
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 10:00pm
one possibility is that they had type one plates left over.

Another is that someone put together the mag. Many were disassembled for cleaning and parts mixed.

It is also possible that one new in the wrap has not been observed or reported. Unfortunately as time goes on it is highly unlikely it can be proven. 
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 10:57pm
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have any history on it. It came with my S'G' carbine purchase, along with an "IA" marked magazine with a type-2 base stamped "A" (on the opposite side) and a circle "IW" with an unstamped type-5 base.
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2020 at 7:47am
I apologize if this as already been dealt with:
Is there a way to approximately date magazines? type of plate comes to my mind but if so how that is dated?
Is type 5 WW2 period?

Also, I have a K.I.(upside down) with hole and type 2 plate without the K.
And a SK (upside down) without hole and type 2 plate with the K (back of the K facing the front of the magazine).
Both are new but shows storage damage (I have 5 mags which were distorted and I tried to correct them: So far I succeed with 3 the 2 others needing to be adjust some more) .

I also take again the chance to ask about scarcity of mag.

Dan30cal View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan30cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2024 at 3:52pm
I just opened a mag from its wax paper and it has the same markings as described. Upside-down KI with a K stamped in a type1 base.
I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2024 at 6:05pm
Some threads here with tips about posting photos.
if you let us know what browswer you are using etc, that will help with specific methods.

As far as the mag.  Go to the list linked earlier in this thread.
Look under Inland and yoiu'll find your maker stamp.
Then look at the baseplate.  The types progress chronologically and are illustrated at the bottom of the page.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2024 at 7:14pm
To answer PLN's unanswered post, yes T5 bases were WW2. The magazines werre mad in such great numbers that they had no need to make any more 15 rounders for Korea and Vietnam.
30 rounders on the other hand did also produce after WW2.

As to the link of magazine, The correct name of the company that use the "K" marking is Keeler Brass.

Post Reply Post Reply