Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magazine capacities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magazine capacities
    Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 3:22pm
I am a little confused as to what the US law is vs California law regarding magazine capacity. I understand that in California the limit is ten rounds. I also see that Fulton Arms sells brand new 15 shot magazines on their website but will only sell the ten round version to California and a couple of other states.   Is the 30 round magazine at full capacity also available in most states?   

I saw a YouTube video on one method used to modify existing or original GI mags...a simple piece of wood was inserted into the magazine base to restrict how deep the magazine spring could be compressed. The bottom of the mag was then sealed with some soldering so that the bottom plate cannot be removed. It seemed crude but effective. I'm sure brand new magazines must use something a little more sophisticated since large businesses are more susceptible to government monitoring.

However on eBay I see lots of older/original GI 15 and 30 round mags being sold as 10 round mags...and some are so vintage looking I can't believe anyone took the time to modify them. And with all the various makes and types of gun parts and magazines being sold on sites like eBay, particularly when many eBay sellers are selling mags along with old helmets, medals, uniforms, knapsacks, canteens, bayonets, general memorabilia, and even electric trains...how could a state government like California track it all and honestly know who is selling what to whom and where?

It reminds me of how ineffective prohibition was in stopping drinking of alcohol.       
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 4:13pm
Ebay magazine sales=wink, wink, nod, nod. As long as you don’t mention the capacity, or just lie about it, one can sell magazines of plus 10-round capacity and astute buyers know what they are looking at. Most states do not limit magazine capacities. As for as blocking a mag, it can get blurry, but many locales require a more permanent modification than a spacer.  
johnireland View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2020 at 4:19pm
I have a mix of old and new mags and so far they have all worked flawlessly.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 4:52pm
As of now, 15 and 30 round carbine mags are still legal, as the issue has been tied up in the 9th Circuit Court for a couple of years. I'd recommend you join the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA), and help them fight for the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Regards,

Marty Black
Pismo Beach, CA
Marty Black
johnireland View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 12:22am
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am a member.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply