Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mag Pouch center threads removed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mag Pouch center threads removed
    Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 8:31am
I wanted to see if any of you fine members know.  I've been told the center threads were cut on M1 carbine pouches (aka pocket) to fit other mags such as the 20 round m16 mag.  Anybody heard or know about this?
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 11:26am
I carried a Carbine in Korea, and seen the standard pouches, and 1 or 2 of the 30 round pouches that are rare, and hard to tell whats real and repo on. I was also in Nam during the early years, and carried a few different rifles. Had a M14 A1E1, that got hung upon everything. Took the bipod off, and that helped. Latter picked up what was referred to as Advisor Carbine, and fall in love with it. Almost all the guys with Carbines used the M14 and early M16 pouches, and put 4 30 round mags in them.  We put a strip of 100 mph tape, folded over between them to keep them quiet, and prevent them from getting hung up when pulling one out. This is one of the newer ones that I use now.

Retired Army, 22 years.
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 7:09pm
wd4ngb, Am a new member via DEY as sent me an e-mail of you and the Advisor 30 carbine in responce of my early Inland I bought from a friend. Your discussion was the Underwood pawn shop buy and desire to create another Adviser. My carbine had original stock carved badly in the pistol grip area and sling well filled in. I found at gun show a M2 stock which I like since I carried a Win M2 when traveling out of the Da Nang area. Because of you and reading the forum, maybe I would create an Advisor myself. I bought a de-milled rear barrel from Numrich but only has less than 2" of barrel, hardly enough, but not a total loss as the gas piston and nut if bought separtly is the same price. So maybe i will just mill another barrel from an extra .308 1 in 12 twist as an experiment of improving accuracy. If I do this, will not need the original Inland stock as is already for you, if you like.  James K.  SeaBee
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 7:44pm
That is pretty cool, and you have a better memory than me. Turned 75 last month. I only have 2 Carbines, that 1943 Undrwood I bought at the pawn shop for around $300 about 3 years ago, and my pride and joy, my Advisor. It is Very close to the one I carried in Nam, which was a M2 version. Love them both. As you can see, I am not a collector, but a user. The Underwood has a M1 Garand style sling on it that allows fast changes in length, and the Butt Pouch has been modified with a slot, to allow the sling to go through it to hold it in place, the same as the one I used in Korea. The Advisor has a M2/M3 style flash suppressor, a laser on a rail that I mounted under the stock, and a 2 or 1 position sling that works great to stabilize it while firing.  It is a Blast shooting... :)

Retired Army, 22 years.
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 8:35pm
So you did get your advisor together, very fine. I mainly into Swedish Mausers and a few 98's. My Inland from friend couple years ago came with two not good bayonets, 300 plus 30 carbine rounds in fabric bandolers for $300. After the lead to this forum, the fever hits. So much info, really impressed. I see your photo with the 101st Airborne sling. Seems to me it changed to Aircav during my 1 1/2 years, late 67 to July 69. Last Sept turned 72. Once I figure out to attach photo's will include a few. To me a 1 in 20 twist rate is what an antique 45-70 would use so why not a 1 in 12 for a 30 cal. Early Ruger used a 1 in 14 for their revolver which my cousin owns. He was a bronze star twin fifty Delta gun boat shooter.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2018 at 9:41am
I served with the 101st on 3 assignments. Flew as a Gunner with the 17th Assault HC in early 67, then 2 statside. As I recall, the 3rd Bde was the last one on Jump Status in the mid 70s. The Army changes how they designate units so much now, I think they are either Air Assault, or Air Mobile.now.  There are Rangers and Special Forces on Campbell to keep the Riggers from being bored. The only thing they change more often than unit names, is Uniforms. Getting ready to go back to the old WW2 style. :) 

Retired Army, 22 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply