Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Infrared Scopes and Equipment, Night Vision
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M3 Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M3 Scopes
    Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 1:03am
As per request we have a M3 dedicated section.
Any member with a Sniperscope or night vision device for the M1 carbine please chime in. If you wish to keep it private please PM me.
 We would like to be able to contact members for information and to check certain items pertaining to these items.

We will be looking for information starting with the M3 20,000,000 volt scopes for the purpose of exchanging information as well as some club research.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 5:22pm
Just thought I would start the post  with a few M3 IR  scope.  & a Lyman Alaska scope. 

Blackford Oakes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 5:24pm
gunsdora, that is one heckuva first post!  

Very nice M3s.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 6:33pm
Welcome, good to see you here.

EDIT: to the on lookers, take note of the "Canadian" carbines in the rack!
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2016 at 5:27am
Just kind of a heads up to everyone interested. New2Brass and I are headed into a research project on the "Sniperscope Infrared, Set No. 1, 20,000 volts", to include the model M3 scopes and all accessories and attachments.

This is going to take a month to get organized for requesting the sharing of info for those who don't mind sharing. It's time someone documented this history as best can be done. The end product will have it's own pages on the website.

We'll be adding information and request for info on the M1/T120 scope and M2 scope with their attachments and accessories a little farther down the line.

This is an immense and difficult project that will take some time and we'll need all the help we can get with people sharing information.

We're going to make this part of the forum a showcase for these.

Thanks much

Jim
gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2016 at 6:15am
Jim
Don't forget to find some info & parts for the one on top of the M3 in the pic. I do have some info if you cant find. I do have a post up on the Milsurp forum  . Been some time but hope hope the pics are still there but could take some time & post here also .

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2016 at 7:52am
We are in an information collection stage but also will be sharing what we learn along the way. Parts are a real handicap and the lack thereof has caused most complete sets and even partial sets to be "reconstructed" with whatever folks can find or make. Understandable but the longer time passes the less parts there will be and the more history will be altered.

If we can pull this off right we're hoping this forum can become a go-to place for buyers, traders and sellers to meet up for these. As it is everyone is spread across the internet.

Jim
RedSpecial View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2016 at 8:18am
Wow, you aren't helping. A M3 has been on my want list for a while
-Neil
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2016 at 8:41am
Man those are some sweet rides! Has anyone actually used one?
gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2016 at 5:08pm
This 2 carbines are in Newzealand  they are not mine. The other M3's on the start of my post are.  I have a carbine like on the top rack minus the scope mount & the pistol grip. It has all of the cuts for the scope mount & the strap for the pistol grip.  Still looking for them . Will put pics up later.  The Dutch Military made the mount  & I would guess the pistol grip.  They also made the mount & grip for  Metric Fal.  

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2016 at 8:00pm
gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2016 at 7:44am
I see it has the M3 scope mount & scope . Nice to see them pics . Would be nice to find some info with them. Must be a lot more out there .
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2017 at 4:55am

American Optical Company

...hard to believe but purchased 2 weeks apart from two different sellers....

Jim

P.S. Please see my "Wanted to Buy" post on this forum for an American Optical Battery...
BOGEYB View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOGEYB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 6:46am
You're not going to believe this but; when I was about 8, My father got me one of these as Surplus equip. from the GA National Guard. It was complete in the chest minus batteries. And like any curious 8 yr. old, I took it apart. The pieces then over time were scattered to the wind! Wow, I was a DUMB kid!!

MikeCry
Thank God, there is a new Sheriff in town!!
Beltfedbob View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beltfedbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 11:38am
Here are a couple for your list.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2017 at 11:57am
This series of pics is to illustrate the cut in the stock and handguard for mounting the scope mount designed for the infrared scopes to a carbine. The B&W images are from TM 5-9342 dated August 1951.

When TM 5-9342 was written the bracket for the handgrip that eliminated the need for drilling holes through the bottom of the stock had not been issued yet. I've excluded the pics that show the use of the template and tools for attaching the handgrip directly to the stock. These tools were discontinued with the introduction of the handgrip bracket.

As indicated above the three holes shown in the bottom of the stock were no longer necessary with the introduction of the handgrip bracket. The pressure from the fit to the stock and handguard coupled with the hole in the top of the bracket thru which the bolt with two nuts protrudes, as seen in the pics below, kept the grip from moving forward.

1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2017 at 10:53am
I can remember seeing the batteries for these M3 scopes in the very late
60s at Rocket Surplus, a local military surplus store. If memory serves me well they sold for 3.00 each. They were sold dry and needed filled and charged. Never knew what they were for until I got interested in carbines.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2017 at 12:17am
Gunsdora

Any chance of getting a series of pics posted of your carbine on top? I saw a few on MilSurps but they did not include the light assmbly or whatever it is that's mounted above the bolt.

I have info on a number of prototypes from the National Defense Research Committee (NDRC) and the Engineer Research lab. The band around the stock and handguard is in the info but the light assembly you have is different.

Thanks Much

Jim
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2017 at 9:09am
Really nice topic this. 
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2018 at 3:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>