Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Infrared Scopes and Equipment, Night Vision
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M3 mounting bar drawings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M3 mounting bar drawings
    Posted: May 20 2018 at 12:51am
Larry

We have been trying to locate the drawings for all of the infrared equipment. So far without success. SOP currently and for some time has been all drawings from all the agencies under the Dept of Defense are supposed to be located and maintained by the Joint Engineering Data Management Information and Control System (JEDMICS). Eric Nicholas checked for us and none of the drawings are there. So far we haven't found them at the National Archives in College Park, MD. But we have a ways to go yet.

Someone may pop up on here with an extra one and the screws/washers.

Jim

usmcflamethrower View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcflamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 1:06am
Thanks, I don't normal have good luck finding parts, lets hope my luck changes with this project.

What about replacement IR lenses ( the large red lens has the red material cracked and coming off)?
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 6:41am
Given a part number, I've had 100% success obtaining carbine-related drawings directly from ARDEC (Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center). Although you do have to jump thru some hoops as an individual, the staff is really helpful. A great resource in my opinion.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcflamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 11:01pm
What IS the part number for the mounting bar?
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 7:36am
For clarification, this refers to the bar that attaches to the bottom of the Model M3 20,000 volt scope by means of two screws and washers. This bar allowed the scope to be attached to the scope mount on the carbine.

BAR,TELESCOPE MOUNT
Part#: 775-105
Part#: 8247-8-5
FSN: 1090-572-2319
NSN: 1090-00-572-2319

The 700 series part numbers appear on some of the parts made by/for American Optical. Not used by Capehart-Farnsworth.

The 8200 series part numbers appear to have been assigned after American Optical started manufacturing IR scopes and equipment. Not unusual for AO parts to have both numbers.

Running the NSN in the current NSN system it indicates it was available from American Optical and the Corps of Engineers. No measurements.

Jim
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 7:39am
ARDEC (Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center) at Picatinny Arsenal is where Eric Nicolaus went for us and was told they don't have them.

I think ARDEC is part of JEDMICS.

Jim
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcflamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:36am
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcflamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:53am
This is all of the information I have been able to collect from different sources.  The main information is from a MWO sheet that was stuck inside my scope's manual.

I am new, so I have no earned trust, but, if someone would be willing to loan me a bar, I could have one made at work by a professional machinist and I would supply the dimensions to all of the members. This part would not have a part number on it, so it could not be passed off as an original by subsequent owners.  I would be willing to post a security deposit, of course.

Best wishes
Larry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 12:27pm
Larry

First, an apology. Too may things demanding my attention and I forgot I have a partial copy of MWO 5-9342-1 dated 6 Mar 1957 that has the dimensions of the bar. Even did an article on the MWO and it's on this forum.

We're missing page 3. The upper half of page 4 is poor quality photocopy.

Will make you a deal. I'll loan you a bar for you to make copies. I think I may have the screws and washers for it too. In return I'd request two things.

First, if you have a good quality copy of the MWO those of us doing the research project would like to have a decent copy. Scan and e-mail works or whatever is easiest for you.

Second, and this one is just a suggestion/request. Not all of the bars have the part number on them. A few people are having short runs of a part or two made. The letter R is being stamped or cast on/in the part to denote it's a replica. Doesn't need to detract from the appearance, just needs to be on the part somewhere.

PM me your address and I'll get the bar enroute to you in the next day or two.

Also, remind me about the IR filter you need. I off to bed. Will be back tonight.

Thanks much

Jim
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

Larry

Even did an article on the MWO and it's on this forum.

Jim

MWO 5-9342-1

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/sniperscope-mwo-593421_topic3114.html

top links have the partial MWO as Jim stated

We are also in need of several MWO's that are carbine related as well as some ENG and other manuals related to the scopes.

If anybody had any of these please let Jim or I know.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcflamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 12:22am
Jim;  Sounds great.  How do I "PM" you?

I will try to scan the MWO tonight and send it to you.  My upper page 4 is not great either, hopefully, it will help.

As soon as you let me know how I can get my address to you, I will send you all my info.

Best
Larry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 12:45am
Larry

Filters

Over the past 8 or 9 months I've been selling them one at a time on EBay, new and still sealed in their packaging. I sold them for Larry Ruth as he doesn't do internet. The last one of about 40 was sold about a month ago. We can discuss it more by e-mail. Over time all of the parts have been becoming harder to get. Those who have them are fewer and some hang onto them as an investment to be sold in the future. I'm not one of them. I have only a few extras of a few things. There are others on the forum who also have a few extras.

Private messages can be sent by clicking on the forum member's name and using the PM option in the drop down menu.

I'd rather we e-mail directly, saves time. Mine is Jim at USCarbineCal30 dot com. Automated web crawlers search forums for e-mail addresses using the @ character.

Jim
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcflamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 1:06am
Fine, that's easier for me too.  I would like to buy at least one of the lenses for the IR flood that you mentioned , if any are left, as my scope's is bad.  I would like, as I'm sure everybody does, to fill the missing slots in the spare parts area of the case, so an extra lens for that slot would be nice.  My hope is to eventually get the scope up and working.  I saw the great post regarding power supplies on the site. I had already figured out how to carefully take it apart.  I am missing the vibrator, tubes, and clear plastic covers for the various components.  The clear insulator for the high voltage connector seems to be there and OK.

Larry
Uzipete View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uzipete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 1:23pm
I just found a new in wrap IR lens. What is the going price on these? And is there any interest in it,thanks Peter
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcflamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 1:41pm
YES!  I've been looking for one.  Jim on this forum used to have them but , I understand that he is all out.  They have been going for around $35.00.  Please contact me.

usmcflamethrower@gmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply