Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M2 Serial No. & Dating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M2 Serial No. & Dating
    Posted: May 13 2021 at 8:17am
Good Afternoon Everyone.

This is my first post as a new member of this group, which was recommended to me by David Albert, who has been extremely helpful and patient with me recently over a purchase of a deactivated M1A1 Thompson.

Over here in England gun laws are very strict and ownership limited.

I am predominantly a collector of deactivated German WWII Machine Guns, Sub Machine Guns and pistols. As previously mentioned having purchased this Savage manufactured late 1943 Thompson I am now looking at an Inland manufactured M2! The serial number is 7128568.

Would anyone have records or information that would date this piece please. It is in very good condition, the woodwork is excellent, making me believe that it didn't see too much heavy, rough action.

The only downside to the piece is that it is currently missing its selector switch (Full Auto to Semi Auto) and 9 Spring! How easy are these to obtain? I have been informed that as it is not a pressure bearing piece that it can be imported to the U.K without any problems.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you,

David Williams
England
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 8:59am
hello, the selector switch and 9 spring are very common over here in the states. You can't look through eBay without seeing them they are so common. Your biggest hurdle will be finding a seller willing to ship them to you
davidwilliams View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 10:14am
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I have found several sellers today on Ebay from the U.S, all around $55.

Will these be modern reproductions, or old, genuine stock. Are they maker marked at all does anyone know?

Thank you in advance.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 12:23pm
Some are USGI and maker marked (ADI for Inland comes to mind), some are not, and many are commercial. Genuine USGI from reputable sellers here typically run about $35, more if marked.

As alluded to above, export from the US is technically prohibited (ITAR) but *****. I'm sure you can figure it out.

The spring you can make yourself using good round nose pliers and a length of music wire either from drawings or trial and error. It's not really critical. I find the original design "S" shape easier to bend to spec than the later adopted "9" shape. Making your own is good lesson in wire bending and spring-back though it's not really necessary either. Just use your thumb.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 6:50pm
i would thing somewhere around a 4-45 barrel on that carbine. so add a month or two to be assembled and out the door
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 12:38pm
Hello Gentlemen, Thank you for all of the replies so far. I am a complete novice when it comes to Allied weapons so all of your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations on books on the M1 M2 and Thompson?

Thank you in advance,

David
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 1:42pm
Ruth's books for the M1 are highly recommended.

For the M2, you will find that there is very little published commercially. Ruth's latest work provides drawings for some of the relevant parts but not all. I've found ARDEC here in the states a very useful resource for such technical info on the M2 if you can get to the right person but I doubt they would provide anything to you abroad (another ITAR issue).

I know nothing about Thompsons.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 5:19pm
Also look for Bruce Canfield's books on the M1 and M1 Carbines. He also has a good book on US WWII weapons.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 6:22am
Thank you again to everyone that has responded and for the book recommendations.

DAVID P. WILLIAMS
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 9:29am
Hi David,

As fas as Thompson books, if you favor M1/M1A1 Thompsons, then get "American Thunder III," by Frank Iannamico, which focuses on military Thompsons. If you want an all-around Thompson book, then get "The Ultimate Thompson Book," by Tracie Hill. This book is now out of print, but Tracie still has some for sale directly for $150 plus shipping. Email me if you need his contact information. If you want the in-depth historical account of the development of the Thompson, then get William Helmer's "The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar." The revised Helmer book is available through Small Arms Review/Chipotle Publishing. I have several more recommendations, depending upon your area of interest, for instance if you like British Thompsons, you'll want to get Tom Davis" book titled, "Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story." You may also like Tom's other two books on Thompsons.

For Carbine books, I agree that Bruce Canfield's book is the easiest to use for a quick reference. The Ruth books have amazing detail, but are expensive, and are now all out of print.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply