The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M2 in action at 240 FPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by BetsyMePoocho BetsyMePoocho wrote:

Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

My thoughts on the magazine lockup is that in combat you carry new prepackaged mags for each insert. So the beating the mags take means little.

If the mag's were only used once maybe that is why battles are so expensive???  Good thought David, but I have to wonder........

We resupplied for every mission with new mags as well as other standard and specialized gear. Our firearms were regulary checked by our armorer.  I can attest to the fact that when I dropped a mag it was no longer of any importance and I never picked them up unless covering our trail required it. I was carrying enough weight and  unless the mission required it humping back empty mags was not happening.

I believe from the slow motion video, once I heal up for my self loaders I'll go through and recheck my mag stores, fix the marginal and inventory all good mags. I'll shoot a specific set until they get wonky, especially from my carbines.
David Milisock
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 10:11am
I have not seen production numbers of magazines post WW2.
I believe WW2 magazines required from production were 100 per carbine produced, I do not think this was a requirement of the prime contractor but what ordnance ordered.

this would mean over six hundred million were produced!

I suspect they expected a lot of mag casualties, but at only 100 per carbine it would seem that they were expected to be recouped and reused if possible.

Just the same with those high number made I still have trouble finding some of the manufacturer codes. Either someone has a heck of a horde or they are lost to the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12