The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 10:40am
new2brass, The numbers on the slide read "7161843" and below is "96567", yeah its a Frankenstein special lol I will try to improve my pics moving forward.

m1a1fan, not sure about all of the nomenclature on this platform yet what is the stock bridge? There seems to be a lot of circumstantial evidence of m2 conversion at some point (US, foreign or private) 
Semper Fi
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 10:56am
This is the bridge, yours is modified on the right side, as new2brass mentioned without the modification the bridge would interfere with the disconnector.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 11:14am
Roger that, I assumed that was it but I've learned not to assume anything with these old rifles.
Semper Fi
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 11:30am
Have you browsed the information on the Club's main page? If you click on the M1A1 pictured on the top of this page it will take you to the club main page. On the left there are links to all kinds of great info.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 1:57pm
Yes sir, such a great resource but between that and these replies I'm inclined to believe the stock is not authentic and the rifle isn't really worth anything so I guess I'll be passing on it. Thanks for your time.
Semper Fi
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 2:00pm
Someone modified that for full auto in their garage or basement. What you already know as a Bubba job being that you're into Garands. I wouldn't oil those bubba'd places. I'd have it repaired if mine.

For most here the SA barrel doesn't have the collector value in the first place. It's good that the correct barrel wasn't Blue Sky'd, but that Carbine action has possibly seen some action having been rebarreled and still shot out.
A normal Carbine Blue Sky with SA barrel is not high on the value side COMPARED to original and no import stamp.

The stock with it's issues will cost to have repaired. Wood repairs and leather repair

There are other ways to mostly determine if the stock forearm is legitimate M1A1, SA post war or other. Is the left side notched for the leather cheek piece? If so, is it gradual or hard lines to the dip down? Is there an S A stamped on the top rail where the hand guard meets the top of the stock? Those are the first two things to check.
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 4:09pm
I had that feeling from the beginning but wanted to believe there could be another explanation (field conversion, sloppy conversions from other countries, etc) but the lack of any patina or color compared to the rest of the gun is pretty convincing that it was done in the last couple of decades or so (there I go assuming again...) The cheek piece cut out looks like a steep cut to me but I can't find any other discernible markings on the forend anywhere. I think I know the answer to this question but is $800 too much with mags and ammo?

Semper Fi
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 4:21pm
In this area, the 800 area for the stock only would be a decent sale (with real wood). The wood can be repaired. It's a common modification. Verifying the forearm can be done to assure it's real. Take it off the stock and look for an extra hole where one shouldn't be (very unlikely with a low wood stock like that). When a normal stock is cut to M1A1 it leaves a hole where the recoil screw goes in regular stocks. Look for a small stamp in the barrel channel around where the barrel band sits. They sometimes look like a single letter. Shoot a closeup of the milling in the slide channel. Shoot a clearer pic of where the OI should be stamped sideways from that one you took. The camera can show what you didn't see at first.

EDIT: If i was just modded having an OI and without leather, still around 8. without an OI present the stock price is what? It's just speculation about the forearm and maybe 6. The Carbine action having it's value in addition.
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 4:57pm
Semper Fi
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 5:04pm
Semper Fi
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 5:16pm
Maybe someone can see the OI?
I like the nose channel characters. They look properly worn like I would hope to see. I don't see any part of the OI but my monitor isn't so great. I also look for different milling in the bottm of the slide channel. I'll post my pics later and maybe I'm not on the right foot depending on them. Plus diff densities of wood might respond differently.
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 5:29pm
👍 Thanks for your time.
Semper Fi
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:05pm
Ten, your nose observations are right on.
I am leaning toward a missed OI mark.

I would have to see what you are saying about the extra hole to remove doubt.

I think the 800 is a deal.

This may be one of those odd color ones I mentioned earlier

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:13pm
@new and others: Thanks for clarification on bridge removal and why. I've seen a few, but usually the entire bridge was removed.

@OP: Great pictures! I like the para...especially if picked up on the cheap. It's been places...
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:37pm
I've posted about the different wood grain structures/colors on CMP and Milsurps a few years ago in regard to one I located on a local internet board. That one having an odd grain structure and color as well, but has a cartouche indicating the second block M1A1 release and having only type II/III band marks.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:48pm
The pistol grip is walnut. The stock...no idea?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:58pm
From memory (worse each month it seems) the one I located was similar grain structure and definitely not like most Walnut M1A1s you see, at the same time undeniably authentic.
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 9:58pm
I appreciate all the responses and education
Semper Fi
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 10:31am
Don't have anything constructive to add, but I'm finding this thread very informative.
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2019 at 8:12pm
Well I paid the man today so I guess I'm in. Thanks for everyone's input and consideration. I look forward to continuing the search to learn more about this oddball.
Semper Fi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>