Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1 Stock Cracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A1 Stock Cracks
    Posted: Feb 19 2017 at 11:31am
There are two hair line cracks on both sides of my M1A1 stock. They extend down from the bottom of the recoil plate cover towards the magazine catch area. I understand these are not uncommon. The cracks are hardly noticeable, and everything is tight...there is no movement in the wood. From the inside, there is some evidence of the crack on the left side...not noticeable on the right. After a session on the range yesterday, I noticed a trace of lubrication oil weeping through the left side crack. Couple questions...Should I be concerned about this? Do I risk damaging the stock further by firing the carbine? I assume this is repairable? Who would you look for to fix something like this? Any recommendations?
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2017 at 3:12pm
First thing you've got to do is disassemble the weapon, stop any more oil from getting into the wood. Oil would make gluing impossible. Next, you will need to find something to neutralize the oil and let everything thoroughly dry. There is a very special wood glue I have used on furniture that is in liquid form that absorbs deeply into cracks but first you must determine what clamping method will be used, regular clamps on flat surfaces, radiator clamps or even surgical tubing or similar on round objects such as gun stocks. Pictures would helpful.
Hope this helps. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2017 at 3:37pm
Thanks, Charles. Now I think about it, it was probably bore cleaner, not oil that found it's way to the back of the carbine. I have broken it down, and it's dry in there now. The crack is tight...it doesn't spread at all even when I put a little pressure on. I don't know how I could get glue in without really forcing the crack open...which I don't think I want to do.   
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2017 at 3:53pm
The beauty of this stuff is you don't have to open the crack, it works on the osmosis theory
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by BEBIII BEBIII wrote:

Should I be concerned about this? Do I risk damaging the stock further by firing the carbine? I assume this is repairable? Who would you look for to fix something like this? Any
recommendations?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes (some say fix, some say leave it alone).

The only one I know of here with skills repairing wood is Charles.  There may be others, maybe someone else can chime in?  There are a couple of other people on other forums who do stock repairs.  A GI fix would involve brass pins.  Some use glue though I've read this might not be enough to stand up to recoil.  I've also read a fiberglass repair using the same materials for bedding a stock could be done.  A tough choice as some repairs will show more than others.  As mentioned, a brass pin repair would be ideal but have never heard of someone with those kind of repair skills.

Was the stock not cracked before it was shot?  Any repair must be sturdy enough to hold up if it will be shot again.  If your stock is GI, can buy a cheap stock and shoot it thus preserving the good stock. I almost cracked a hand guard while holding court at the range (Charles knows the story) and was fortunate not to break anything.  Haven't shot anything USGI since.  Would love to see pictures of it.

Again, JMO.

Picture of a GI brass pin repair

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 7:52am
JMO, I second m1A1fan and would err on the side of caution, "If your stock is GI, can buy a cheap stock and shoot it thus preserving the good stock."  

cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 8:20am
expert carbine stock repair would be Frank Derrico, here are some of his threads ont he MILSURPS forum.

https://www.milsurps.com/search.php?searchid=7993042

His email contact is frderrico@ceas.coop
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 8:57am
@cali, thanks.

The other guy I was thinking of can be found here:

http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=146366&sid=f08fcf98f899fe957663258868a20d10&start=15

Was thinking about this yesterday, but could a crack form when taking apart an M1A1 stock? I've cracked a piece of the the pistol grip off. Can't remember how I did it, but it was already cracked. Think I removed the hinge screw without removing the grip screw first. Can't think of a scenario that would cause the horizontal cracks as described.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 8:59am
Thanks, guys, for the advice. The cracks were on the stock when I purchased the gun, I'll reach out to Mr. Derrico to see if this is something he can help me with. I do like to fire all the rifles in my collection...that's half the fun of owning them. Will attempt to post pictures later.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 11:26am
Not intended to discuss whether to shoot it or not (to each his own), just wondering if the cracks have spread since you've shot it?

If you are going to fix it with the intention of shooting it again, it's probably a good idea to let Frank know.  Not sure if the fix would be different....

Look forward to seeing some pics.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 11:28am
No, no noticeable difference with regard to the cracks. I ran a hundred rounds through it Saturday.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 11:32am

Here are some pictures. I'm new to this...hope they come through.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 11:35am
Good news.  Something to keep an eye on.  I have one with a crack in the same area as yours but only on one size.  It's smaller length wise, but larger top to bottom.  Took pictures and measurements to keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't spreading.  Don't think it could be fixed with glue though as it isn't narrow enough.  Combing trough the CCNL's to see if there's any mention of the cause.  I know it was a weak point and I think later stocks were changed to address this problem.  If I can find something, I'll post it and a pic of the crack on mine.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 2:25pm
Pictures are coming through loud and clear.  That's a beauty of a 2nd prod.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 2:51pm
Quick thought on why they crack there. The cut out for recoil plate creates a natural stress riser. Combine that with the fact of having a pistol grip causing leverage.  

Chances are many hold the grip without stock to firmly in the shoulder so the energy goes straight back. Instead the energy from recoil gets changed by the recoil plate down to leverage of the pistol grip.

Think of many tiny hits to the back of the pistol grip over time creating the crack.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 3:37pm
Most of the cracks I've seen slope (relatively) gently down away from the recoil plate.  Both of these slope more aggressively down especially the one on the right.  They are almost nearing the underside of the stock.  It doesn't appear they are following the grain of the wood.

I remember a seller on GB with a nice M1A1.  Think it is still for sale almost a year later.  When it was first listed, I think it didn't have any cracks in the stock.  Now it does.  Weird.

Nice cartouche on the pistol grip btw.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2017 at 9:29am
Now that I have seen pictures of the cracks in the M1A1, I have to say it is not a simple glue job. I would hang it up or as suggested, get a shooter stock. 
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2017 at 9:52pm
Have you removed the action from the stock, and examined what the cracks look like inside? It is probably unlikely, but I wonder whether the crack has already been internally repaired? The crack looks very tight and uniform. Does it have any rough edges? It doesn't look like it in the photo. I'm curious whether it already has some kind of repair performed inside the stock.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2017 at 7:44am
From the inside, the crack on the left side is visible, but I can't see much on the right side. I also wondered if it might have previously been repaired. There is some residue that might be glue...hard to say. No rough edges anywhere. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2017 at 7:32pm
Interesting that it might have been repaired in the past. I'm no woodworker, but I think it is going to be a tough fix especially if you want to shoot it again. I've seen a few glue jobs, some done very well, some not. All were visible to some extent. Para stocks seem so fragile, it's a wonder any survived.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>