Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1 buttplate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cipollinaj11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A1 buttplate
    Posted: May 09 2020 at 7:37am
when I first was purchasing my M1A1 
I used this site's visual reference page to identify all the parts to see if correct.
They mentioned they did not know the foundry that did the wagon wheel marking
on the buttplate castings.
I recently found this in an article....I cant verify if its correct but it may be helpful :

"  I finally  located the information about who manufactured the original, Legit, M1A1 Butt Plates. This company was right next door to Plant #2 of the Saginaw Steering Gear Machinegun Plant, in Saginaw Michigan. This company's name was the Malleable Iron Works, Central Foundary. The "Wagon Wheel Logo", cast into the metal; on the M1A1 Butt Plates, was this company's "Logo". All Inland M1A1 Buttplates were cast at this plant, shipped in wooden kegs to the Inland Manufacturing Division of General Motors, to be machined and finished up there. The numbers on these Butt Plates, (#12 being the highest documented, to my knowledge)... were the "Steel batch numbers", used for the casting of each lot manufactured. Saginaw's Plant #2 property went up to the start of the Malleable Iron Works property. Planes landed daily for pickups and delivery of parts to and from both plants. Source: Interview: James Flynn, Malleable Iron Works, Saginaw, Michigan...former employee and supervisor. "

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 7:59am
Thank you for reporting

The web pages were written quite a while ago and it has been an ongoing project of updating and correcting as we move along.

I would like to see that interview. to the best of my knowledge the numbers were not batch numbers. They were cast 12 at a time and it was a mold position or sprue number

cipollinaj11 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cipollinaj11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 9:05am
Yes,
I need to find that article again.
For a while we always accepted  it as a mold position or sprue number .
Whoever interviewed this former employee
seems to have  obtained first hand information that was a little different.
I agree, I think we need to look into this further.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 10:02am
It may well have been a legitimate interview, but it might very well be a misinterpretation of what was said. Did the writer even understand the concept of position numbers on a tray? If they were batches that would mean there were 12 batches total?

I still support the 12 position tray. If you reuse the tray impression for pours with the 12 positions and there is a defect that developed at say, position #1, then you go to the #1s to cull them and/or correct the tray cast at that position. If a correction couldn't be made, they'd eliminate that impression and still cast the rest.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
cipollinaj11 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cipollinaj11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 10:50am
Well that would make sense.
You would be able to isolate a defect much quicker and 
make the necessary corrections.
I wish the interviewer was able to  clarify the  description 
of  " a batch "  a little better.

-----3 /13/20 ... I also see the info on the M1A1 visual reference page on buttplate markings
 has been updated...   thanks.

Edited by cipollinaj11 - May 13 2020 at 8:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply