Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 carbine sheath ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 carbine sheath ?
    Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 1:29pm
Does anyone know if this sheath was ever an issued item? War Baby II says it was experimental, and I can find no reference to it ever being issued to the troops or with the carbines.
Many thanks.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 2:40pm
Reed, here is an old thread on the "Holster Experimental". It does not answer whether or not they were ever really issued but offers a bit of info. I swear I saw an actual wartime picture either here or another forum maybe from Korea of a troop actually wearing one of these, but I can't seem locate it.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 3:53pm
I seem to recall seeing that same holster on one of the firearm auction sites. 

Following.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 4:41pm
Thanks, Wayne
From that 2019 thread, I speculate that the holster maybe did make it past the experimental stage, and may have been used in a very limited fashion. Perhaps we will never know for sure. 
Take care, and be well.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 6:20pm
Look up lineman's holster. They weren't experimental. They were a standard ,but limited issue item. I have one myself.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 8:10pm
I have never looked into the M1 carbine holster but it seems they are all over the place. They all seem to be in excellent shape which is curious.

It seems they are popular with the re-enactment groups and those that cater to them. Prices range from $35 to those spelled out as reproductions to $150-250 for those claimed as USGI
Click on the links

Then there a ton on eBay. Some say reproduction, others experimental and others claim USGI.
I do not know what is what or if they were ever actually issued.

The 90th Infantry Division Preservation Group is a group of re-enactors and they do history and research.
they have a page that shows the M1 carbine holster taken from the "Manual of the Carbine"
I think one of the newsletters had used these pictures.

I will say that at times the manuals and publications may have information that never went into effect.
I did not read the above page, and it is not an endorsement. Just quick google foo as I do not have the time right now.

Was there an experimental M1 carbine holster? YUP!

Below a training film where you can see the holsters and carry bags in different orientations.
I suspect they were trying to establish what was best.

World War 2 D-Day Training Braunton Burrows - American Troops practicing on the replica concrete landing craft

Maybe someone would like to take on the project and catalog the makers markings and note if it is claimed as a reproduction or USGI. See if there is a marking that is claimed as both!

From there maybe we can find some actual contracts to get an idea of what is what.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 8:15pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 10:19pm
Can anyone tell if the crew shown starting around 0:41 has the same sheath on their carbines?
I'm not sure but it looks like they are using the carbine sling to carry it on their backs. 
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 6:19am

From early 80's Universal accessories catalog.

Anyone have one that was known to be manufactured for Universal, that can be reviewed?
Did they have the wartime manufactures stamped inside them?
Is it possible someone came into a supply of these, that marked the wartime manufactures in them for better sales later on?

I will post pics of my well used LUB PROD. Co. 1943 marked one in a few.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 6:53am

Photo album with additional pics of holster.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Z5XZb1kMxKa4cSD8

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 7:37am
Known reproduction of holster.

Note: rivets, female fastener no-dot, font of manufactures stamp and weave used on the strap.
Some of the traits that caught my eye.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 7:19pm
Mine is also a LUB. PROD. 1943 in slightly better condition. Most of the rivets show the type of corrosion you would expect on a piece of equipment  almost 80 years old. All of the stitching is done with cotton thread, no nylon present. One thing worth noting is the rivets at the bottom of the holster. The back of these rivets look like a flower blossom. Those rivets can be seen clearly in the photo of the holster shown on page 649 of War Baby II. I looked at the pictures of the repros and those same rivets on the repros are smooth and round, not hollow centered and split like flower petals.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 8:45am
@Smokpole
Yep I took note of the peened hollow rivets as well; my center one is pulled through. Without it there the carbine barrel slides out the bottom. Guess they used this method to make a better hold on the canvas.

I liked the well worn look of this one and got it cheap. Hadn't thought much about it until seeing this thread and pulling it out. Over morning coffee yesterday I watched numerous Signal Corps videos hoping to spot one but came up nil.
Searched through the Listing of Major War Supply Contracts docs I have but didn't find anything regarding the holsters.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 9:03am
Excellent stuff!

the problem with the cumulative contract listings is that it only reports contracts in excess of 50k
Then there is some of the terminology used. If you can find what "bags, canvas" are then you can rule that out as a holster.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 8:04pm
Started a thread on milsurps earlier today for research reinforcements on the holster.
https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/367257-the-m1-carbine-holster/

Member shared a great photo of the m1 carbine holster in use, shown below.

"31st Infantry, New Guinea, September 1944."

jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2022 at 2:22pm
I found this paper folded up in one of these scabbards I own.
USMC Dated 2-15-44, either shipping or receiving 60 scabbards, canvas, Carbine cal. .30

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2022 at 8:33am
Good find @Jangle; thanks for sharing that.

Found this to be interesting.
Taken from the Military Establishment Appropriation Bill For 1944 hearings, that took place on Wednesday, May 26, 1943.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 9:04am

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 10:44am
The rifle, M1938 was a leather scabbard. In 1943 and 1944 we see the carbine leather scabbards. This may have replaced the canvas carbine scabbard.
Need to look for a 1944 Quartermaster catalog and and see if things change, as per the 1944 appropriations bill.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 9:10am
@Dan
I have poked around looking for QM Catalogs but haven't  had much luck. Don't have any copies myself.

Any club members out there that own originals or copies of QM supply catalogs they could take a look at? 
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>