Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 carbine magazine pouch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 carbine magazine pouch
    Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 2:11pm

Does anyone know where I might gain some knowledge on the above subject topic? Also, where I might buy an original pouch. Thanks in advance.
rtr091112 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtr091112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 2:25pm
You can find them on Ebay or CMP forum members have them for sale sometimes
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 3:08pm
I really would like to know more about the pouches i.e. who the prime manufacturers were, production numbers, dates, etc. Photographs would be really helpful. Thanks.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 3:26pm
The most complete source of information that I have found is Larry Ruth's War Baby III, Chapter 133. There are lists of manufacturers, production dates, pouch colors, photos and types. However, I have not seen anything that shows production numbers.
JackP
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 8:24pm
Exact production numbers have not been published, to my knowledge. I second jackp1028's recommendation of WBIII for the broadest information on the subject. Its predecessor, War Baby II also has almost the same information. WBIII has the most recently updated information. It's an expensive book, so if you're looking for a cheaper alternative with some information on pouches, Craig Riesch's "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" has a few pages on the subject that will show you what to look for, but it does not include a list of manufacturers like WBIII does.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 8:39pm
Jack/David - Thanks. Given the price of Larry Ruth's "Wartime Baby 111" I think that I will start my research project with a copy of Craig Riesch's "US M1 Carbines Wartime Production".
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 9:13pm
Paul,
Here is a very old thread from gunboards about pouches, not really filled with info but it is interesting.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?666-M-1-Carbine-pouch-information
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 9:25pm
Paul1262,

Another suggestion is to look on eBay, and gather photographic examples of M1 Carbine pouches. You will find quite a few manufacturers, and observe marking differences, etc. You can combine this with the basics as covered by Riesch, and probably get to where you want to be. Maybe take a look at WBIII at a gun show, and decide if it's worth the investment in the long run.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Edit: I just took a look at the Gunboards thread that W5USMC posted, and the poster did a great job of photographically documenting the many M1 Carbine pouches in his collection. I suggest you use this as a basis, and see how many more you can spot on eBay, and add for your reference.
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 9:39pm
Paul, I hope you already have a copy of Riesch's book. Looks like prices have gone up, at least on Amazon.
JackP
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

Jack/David - Thanks. Given the price of Larry Ruth's "Wartime Baby 111" I think that I will start my research project with a copy of Craig Riesch's "US M1 Carbines Wartime Production".

Paul, Riesch's book is excellent overall and very inexpensive...well until it recently went out of production and has sold out. Grab a new or used one quick as prices are spiking. Surprisingly Fulton Armory has them on sale for $20.00!! Look under M1 Carbine accessories. Amazon has some priced insanely high.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 7:56am
Amazon is overpriced in my opinion!
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 10:48am
I jumped too fast and posted here about my price shock then I found the book on ebay for $20+6 from a guy in Canada.
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 4:27pm
First and fore most, It is a magazine "Pocket" Stock no. 74-P-143-60 which was found in a quartermaster supply catalog 1943. see CCNL 213 and 276. Though the club has also used the common name as pouch over and over again.
From CCNL 190 has 6 pages of manufactures and markings with an update in CCNL

Jim Flavin did a comprehensive update and separated the early belt pockets which are referred to stock pouches in CCNL 261 followed up by the later in CCNL 262 which also has info on 30 rounds pockets/pouches
without counting I am sure there are over 100 variations. 13 previously missed markings were reported in CCNL 293

In CCNL 121 (keep in mind time frame) that there was over 60 manufacturers of pockets. It points out discretionary issue to officer or enlisted men carrying a carbine was 6 pockets. With over 6 million carbines produced this would be 36 million pockets without counting spares!

There are over a dozen newsletters with tidbits including the reproductions being spotted that many are buying now as original.

For those that are unaware go to the CCNL back issues and index section and download the 3 searchable indexes

Using the ctrl F (control button and letter F) will open a search box. You can cruise through the indexes to find which newsletters have info.
In this case if someone is seriously interested in this topic just ask and we can point out which newsletters would be a must have.

What I did not touch on if the foreign versions reported.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 5:09pm
New2brass - Thanks for the detailed sources of information regarding "magazine pockets". I continue to be amazed at the level of knowledge forum members have. Thanks for taking the time and effort to prepare this guidance.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 5:12pm
W5USMC - Thanks for the information. The gun board thread was really helpful.

Paul
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 6:32pm
I don't see anything here that looks anything like the butt stock pouch I have. Probably an after market?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5142/M1PouchJTL1942.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Nov 25 2022 at 9:15am
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Road Rat Road Rat wrote:

I don't see anything here that looks anything like the butt stock pouch I have. Probably an after market?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5142/M1PouchJTL1942.jpg

Road Rat,

Yes, your pouch is a reproduction.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Edited by New2brass - Nov 25 2022 at 9:14am
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2018 at 9:34pm
Thanks.  

It doesn't bother me as I am not a collector - just an accumulator and this one matches my 1942 Carbine so my display looks good. 

Appreciate the response.
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 7:33am
I look at the snap stud first, the quickest way to tell a fake.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by shadycon shadycon wrote:

I look at the snap stud first, the quickest way to tell a fake.

That would "assume" I know the difference between the two.... LOLLOL
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>