The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 attachments? Millville muzzle extender?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HennMike89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 attachments? Millville muzzle extender?
    Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 11:55pm
Does anyone know about or where to look up the information for the Millville muzzle extenders for the m1 carbine.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 10:00am
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-M1-Carbine-Millville-Muzzel-Extende
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

HennMike89 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HennMike89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 10:54am
Thanks but need more info on the extender because not sure about price or how much they are really worth. I was looking at those trying to put m1 carbine collection together. I have an original rock-Ola m1 carbine.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 1:19pm
With Millville in business in the mid to late 50's and did sell surplus GI parts do we know if this was a GI produced item or an aftermarket made by Millville (or Plainfield which did some work for them before making their own carbines)?

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_millville.html
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2017 at 12:59am
Not a USGI item. Were you looking to put that on the Rockola?

Edit to add: This was reported in CCNL 230
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2017 at 6:24pm
I would not recommend installing this on a WWII era M1 Carbine. In my opinion, it's an early aftermarket curiosity that may enhance a collection, but installing it will reduce the value of, and damage an original M1 Carbine. Most firearm collecting genres include items like this that are fun to look back upon, and collect as accessories or oddities. Back when this was being sold, M1 Carbines had no real collector value, or appreciation.

If you want to install it, put it on an aftermarket M1 Carbine.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2017 at 9:57pm
I agree, you would be destroying the authenticity, value and heritage of a true American collectable.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 9:22am
here is one of those extensions attached to a Rockola barrel.

I wonder how you are supposed to get the barrel band on?

Millville Ordnance was involved in all kinds of surplus and commercial gun stuff, not just carbine parts. Their ads in Shotgun News in the early 60's typically ran 2-5 full pages of small parts.

Millville was not the only one making these extensions. Most I have seen are rotated 90 degrees

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 10:54am
Simple, sweat the extender off. The clamp should have been put on first.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 1:47pm
I have to admit that it looks kind of cool attached to the muzzle. Back when Carbines had little value, I could see adding one on to make it just a bit different in style. The gun world has always had items like this to accessorize our favorite firearms, just like the car world has a multitude of similar items.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 7:04pm
Some places like Canada, need a barrel a bit longer than the standard carbine to be legal, this would make it so if permanently attached.
manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2017 at 9:57pm
cali201....not true in Canada. Extensions to muzzles are not acceptable to take the M1 carbine off the Restricted list. Our regs require a fully rifled barrel of greater than 18.6" on any semi-auto centre fire rifle to qualify in a class that has no restrictions. Easy to own a USGI M1 carbine here, but in a Restricted classification, ie can only take it to a certified range and shoot it there. Non-restricted allows it into the bush for target practice or hunting. BTW, our 15 and 30 rd mags have to pinned to only allow 5 rds max.

I-J made 20" barrelled carbines in the late 1980's and exported them here, A-O is doing same with 18.6 " now.

cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2017 at 6:23am
well you learn something every day!!
 Post Reply Post Reply