Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 30 cal rechambered to 22 cal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scandia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 30 cal rechambered to 22 cal
    Posted: May 06 2017 at 4:57pm
I have a National Ordance .30 cal M1 rechambered to .22 cal. My research indicates that it should chamber 5.7 mm spitfire Johnson cartridges. This rifle has a 20 inch ,22 cal barrel and takes a .30 cal mag. It doesn't appear to be a Johnson - Tucker chambered carbine.  I am requesting information regarding the correct cartridge. I haven't obtained and tried the 5.7 mm spitfire Johnson yet.
Any advice is appreciated.

Scandia
Scandia
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 6:16pm
We have one in that cal, 5.7MMJ Spitfire, is really a fun cartridge. Best if you get it or have it would be to slug the chamber to be sure of what cartridge it takes as their were a couple other '22's made. If you are not into reloading their is no commercial ammo made, is quite easy to make your own. If we can be of any help just ask. Cheers
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 6:28pm
+1 on slugging the chamber
Scandia View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scandia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 12:51pm
Dear SWANEEDMB

Thank you for the information in your reply to my request regarding my rechambered M1 Carbine.
I am not into reloading and am not sure what you mean by "slugging" the chamber to determine the right .22 cal necked down cartridge. I would like to buy some .22 spitfire Johnson cartridges if you can direct me to a source.  Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Scandia
Scandia
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 1:33pm
    Good to see your response, if you would care to give us your e-mail we'll get you much more info, on the cartridges I don't know of any supplier, we could possibly help you out but first you have to know for sure the correct cartridge it takes.
Cheers, SWANEE
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 7:48pm
Scandia, I think it best for you to take the carbine to a gunsmith and have it checked for the headspace and they can do a chamber slugging, who knows who may have made this carbine. Best be safe than sorry, just my 2 cents.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 2:47pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 7:26pm
Only thing I could find on it was written in Spanish....I think.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 7:29pm
It's .22 Spitfire.

David
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 7:35pm
Most of us have our little quirks and I surely have mine, but for the life of me I just don't understand why somebody would want a firearm that nobody makes ammo for. For me, if it's not a caliber I can find on about any street corner, I don't want it. That limits me to 22LR, 45acp, 9mm, 38/357, 5.56, 7.62x39 and 30-carbine is my "have to hunt it or reload for it" round.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 9:31pm
I too looked for that cal--Oresky 22, did not find a thing, not even in my conversion book. The 5.7 MMJ Spitfire is very easy to make, I use CH4D custom 2 die set, have not had to anneal, just run the very lightly lubed cases in die and we have the 5.7 case,  have not had to do any trimming either. Have not lost a case from splitting but a few in the grass. Have pretty much narrowed it down to a 40gr Sierra .223 bullet, we don't do any hot-rodding, just enough to work the action, have had some very nice groups @ 50 yds, does open up a bit @ 100 yds tho.
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 1:59am
A number of years ago there was a company , IWI not sure what that stood for at this late date, but they were affiliated with IMI, Israeli Military Industries and they sold M1 carbines chambered in .30 carbine or 5.7MMJ. They were located in Texas. The ammunition, 5.7MMJ, was made by a Texas gun range specifically for IWI. When IWI sort of went out of business the ammunition was available for a while from Gun Parts Corporation in New York.
  I had purchased 100 rounds with my carbine and several years later wanted more and it was unavailable.
  Reloading this caliber at the time was going to prove pretty expensive as I would have had to purchase the reloading dies as well as the re-sizing dies and that would have come to about $300 plus cases, bullets, powder, etc. Fortunately, one of the boxes that the original ammunition came in had the name of the gun range/manufacturer. I called them to see if they had any more ammunition but they said no because there was not a very big market for it. I explained my problem with reloading and was told that they had lots of preformed brass and would sell it to me. Long story short, I bought 1000 rounds of sized, decapped brass for .02 a round. Problem solved.
  I'm pretty sure the gun range is still in operation, I'll go look it up and post the name on another post.
smaugmra View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaugmra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2023 at 9:12pm
Precision Cartridge was making them at one point.  Graf & Sons sells a basic straight walled Basic 30 Carbine Case with a .22 Johnson headstamp, but they need to be annealed and necked down.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2023 at 12:51pm
Hey Floyd! I shoot 7mm TCU in both rifle and pistol. It is a supremely accurate cartridge. You have to make your own cases for it. Yes, it is classed as a wildcat. Why do I do it? because I like the superb accuracy and low recoil. There are lots of us wildcatters out there. Its kind of like asking why would you change the caliber of an M1 carbine when the original caliber is so much fun. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2023 at 1:16pm
I like the convenience of having companion rifles and hand guns. I most like the convenience shooting 9mm that you can purchase off most any shelf for MUCH less than 30-Carbine….and it’s plentiful. 9mm will do anything 7.62x33 will do at short ranges. My conversions are not destructive to any valuable or rare carbine component. I certainly luv the little carbine in 7.62x33 and will forever have a couple, but the platform is suited for other calibers. One will learn a lot in the process.

smaugmra View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaugmra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2023 at 5:36am
There were multiple examples of the "Hey, let's neck down a .30 Carbine cartridge to .22!" back in the day.  So a chamber cast and a bore measurement would be in order. The Col. Melvin M Johnson, designer of the 1941 Johnson Rifle, and Johnson LMG - both used by the Para-Marines in the Pacific theatre, as well as by the joint US/Canadian Special missions unit in the European theatre - tried to interest the US Military in the concept in the late 1950's but he was always there at the wrong time since the M16 was already in full scale development, and he had already in 1939 & 1940 "injured" any goodwill with the armament "Powers that Be" by being so pushy about his Rifle as the Garand was in final adoption and about to be mass produced.  He did set up production for his cartridge called the "5.7 MMJ", as well as for his "Spitfire" Rifle and Carbine in the late 1950's and early 1960's, and built a bunch.  As well as having many Spitfire Carbines manufactured by his company Johnson Automatics and Plainfield for commercial sale.  He had originally proposed and marketed conversions by boring out the .30 Carbine barrel, relining with a .224 cal. insert, and brazing or welding in an appropriate for the caliber feed ramp.  Loads are very close to a moderate .22 Hornet load, with a 40 grain bullet pushing 3000 fps.  I have 1 original Johnson manufactured rifle and 2 Plainfield's in the 5.7 MMJ caliber.  But for some reason the cartridge has become commonly known as the .22 Spitfire instead of it's correct nomenclature of 5.7 MMJ, which in a way dismisses the designer.  Wouldn't want to do that to P.O. Ackley...

Edited by smaugmra - Jul 16 2023 at 5:52am
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2023 at 6:14am
It was a very interesting cartridge and still is. Too bad it came along a little too late and was steamrolled by the .223/5.56. The action-length and strength of the little gun limits what one can make it shoot. Ruger solved that problem with the introduction of the Mini 14. It will always be a handy little pistol caliber carbine that under-weighs any other commercially produced pistol caliber blowback carbine. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2023 at 6:50pm
If I could find a decent 22 barrel for a good price, I would be very tempted to go for a 5.7 x 28 conversion. The action is long enough and the pressure is a tad high, but under proof load pressures. I know a guy that could sleeve the chamber and ream it for 5.7 x 28. This cartridge appears to be the one chosen for future replacement of the 9mm as a standard military round and the ammo is available as more weapons are hitting the civilian market. 
smaugmra View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaugmra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2023 at 6:46pm
Ever since the 5.7x28mm was released I've considered doing something similar, but due to the higher pressures specified for the cartridge I have hesitated.  I believe there would be more work than just a relining and chambering, especially if you want it to work as a semi-auto.  If I were to do something along those lines I believe there would be some issues with feed and function due to the relatively smaller dimensions. The 5.7x28 is thinner and sits higher in the magazine, and seems to want to "pop out" without much convincing.  I think relining the mag with a couple of thin pieces of something, or trying to refit a Ruger 57 magazine?  Then springs might be an issue as well and certainly don't want to bend anything that functions the gas system.  The will has been there, but I decided to let someone with more time, money, and expertise do it first.  And my expert WW2 and post-war era gunsmiths and Carbine expert friends have all either long retired or passed on.
And you are absolutely correct about the increasing availability and (slightly) decreasing price of the 5.7x28 ammo.  It has made it easier and more fun to shoot my P90, though it goes through ammo at an alarming pace!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2023 at 7:18pm
I have built a few conversions, but stick with readily available barrels. Unless one could come across a 5.7 Johnson barrel at a good price, $$$ shoots this project down pretty quickly. Chambers can be inserted and reamed for 5.7x28. There again, you need a friend with the tools or it quickly becomes cost prohibitive again. I have used .223/5.56 cases to build Tokarev and fired hundreds of rounds thru that chamber, which is 9mm. I have not looked real close to the difference in brass diameter between a 30-carbine and a 5.7x28. Feeding issues might have to be solved the way they did it with the Johnson. I have had to work out magazine issues with conversions before and am sure that could be overcome.

If I were 55 instead of 75….I’d have to try it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>