Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LOTS of problems with a Winchester..1st range trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 2:20pm
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMP_Carbine_Notes_2007.pdf

Paragraphs (4)-(4c4) of the above article, Carbine Shooting with Accuracy from the CMP, describes how to get proper recoil plate/receiver fit. The way it is explained in the article somewhat contradicts what is written in some of the posts above.

Also in the picture you posted of the slide after you chalked the stock makes it look like the slide is hitting the stock mostly on the right front side? Are your barrel/receiver index marks aligned? Are the flats level?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMP_Carbine_Notes_2007.pdf

Paragraphs (4)-(4c4) of the above article, Carbine Shooting with Accuracy from the CMP, describes how to get proper recoil plate/receiver fit. The way it is explained in the article somewhat contradicts what is written in some of the posts above.

I am not a shooter, I do not engage in the competitions. 
I would say that there is sound advice in that PDF, However understand there are different types of competitions that the CMP (and NRA) hold with different rules.

Section 4.2 page 35 has the rules for "as issued military rifles" and in each category states:
The use of shims made of any material in the action and barrel bedding areas of the stock is prohibited 

However other competitions such as the EIC Excellence in Competition rules allow glass beading.

Bottom line do your homework and read the rules. "I read on the internet" does not make it so.

Basically the PDF and what I wrote are similar yet different. Tighten the recoil plate with action in place. If you were to tighten the recoil plate firm without action  you may be damaging the stock by over compressing the wood, then creating damage by pulling barrel down with hand guard and band.

What was good in the article is it pointed to  TM9-1276 Feb 1953 pages 125 and 126:
"where recoil plate is bedded so deeply in the stock that it interferes with proper alignment of action, the stock must be rejected"

I guess this is why I see stocks with the glass beading or epoxy trying to fix them. Later stocks have more recoil support at the bottom. there is only a slot for the tang on the rear of recoil plate, so the recoil plate engages the stock much better.

so consider what the interaction of the recoil plate to the stock is, if you have a stock that recoil sits too low would you shim or bead under the tang or where the bottom of the recoil plate locks up, or both?
again my method would be a start to see if that is the issue causing the slide from binding with stock. 

looking at tm9-1276 5 June 1943 page 107:
"Recoil plates of the latest design have integral spring which provides spring tension between parts and takes up slack due to wear"

This is where the OP was concerned with the bottom of recoil plate not bottoming out, it is not supposed to.
I do agree that the recoil plate should fit between the receiver lugs. Further if there was slop it would let the receiver walk side to side. Should be snug if possible.

the TM's and the CMP pdf both mention that there must be some barrel float. The PDF mentions that if the barrel is more than 1/8 inch high that you could cause damage.

blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 9:02pm
Is the CMP 1/8 inch "spec" for barrel "float" as shot or does this 1/8" represent elevation of the barrel PRIOR to seating of the action into the stock???

Why might there be a difference? (it's the tab)

I note that the handguard does NOT compress the barrel into the stock, at least not after banging the buttstock into the rug or firing a few shots. If you subseequently remove the barrel band/hanguard, the barrel does NOT spring 1/8" up. At least mine doesn't, does your's???
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 10:39pm
Gentlemen thanks so much for such in depth replies, and suggestions. Seriously it's truly appreciated.

The escutcheon appears to be a bit off a bit, but not by much.

The barrel/receiver index marks are all lined up, and when on a flat surface the bottom of the lugs appear all level.

When I put the reciever into the recoil plate and seat everything properly, I can still move the barrel left and and right...as in the recoil plate doesn't hold the reciever in the same alignment once it's seated.

Anybody have spec stock wall measurements?

Also my recoil plate's bottom slot that fills the reciever's lugs doesn't fit flushly, or anywhere close as show below, and compared with the one blackfish posted last page....

Mine

One Blackfish posted (org. from BQ97) ....

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 11:50pm
A picture speaks volumes.
You need a recoil plate.
Pm me your address, think i have a better one on the bench.

Blackfish, the CMP pdf stated 1/8
I think the TMs either say some lift or specify a ammount..
Will check in morning. I would think that the barrel should spring up after seating, but will confirm tomorrow.

Hmm last pic caught my eye!
Anyone want to play?
Look at data sheet and ccnl 336.
Anything out of place?
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 1:44am
Wow, what an amazing offer New2brass, talking about paying it forward. I will certainly take you up on your offer and send you a PM.

This recoil plate never had any markings, and upon it's first cleaning/inspection I discovered a large pitting area on the side of it. Now that I read more about the recoil plates, I see that mine's cast as seen by the faint cast line down the middle of it. What has me really perplexed is why it had such a small tab to fit inside the larger area inside the receiver's lugs? Do they make a different recoil plate for the commercial versions of these carbines?

Also I dressed it (inside bottom area) a bit like I read to do above, and in another thread on the CMP forum....and brought the rear face closer to being flush with the receiver. Then I repeated the flour test for a rub.....and the results appear to have at least reduced the amount of rub based on the first time. I used the same test method both times as well.

first time...

after recoil plate adjustments..
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 6:55am
The dimensioned drawings I have suggest that in that region of a (potbelly) stock, the wood has, ignoring tolerances, an outside width of 1.8" and a well width of 1.2", meaning the side wall thickness should be about 0.3"

I would wait for a good recoil plate before making permanent changes to your stock.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Hmm last pic caught my eye! Anyone want to play?
Look at data sheet and ccnl 336. Anything out of place?

OK Dan, just read CCNL 336 and looked at his data sheet. I'll give it a shot. According to his serial #, his receiver should be a type 3 with an integral op spring housing.

Concerning the barrel lift with proper recoil plate/receiver fit:

Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual, page 187 says:
"Ideal recoil plate fit is achieved when the recoil plate cam positively engages the receiver hook and secures the receiver- and a slight downward pressure on the barrel (approx_1-3 lbs.) is needed to make the front band (i.e., the inside front band ring) contact the nom. .37" radius barrel relief cut in the forestock."

TM 9-1276 Feb 53, page 125-126 says:
"With slight pressure tending to push the barrel in the stock, rap the butt end sharply; the action should snap into place. The action should be suspended by the recoil plate with clearance under the receiver and barrel. Test the action for longitidinal play. If such play exists or the action does not lie properly in the stock, a new stock assembly should be selected or the recoil plate replaced in order to meet the above requirements."
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
markdam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote markdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 1:26pm
LMTmonoMan 

I know this has been a PIA for you   but I LOVE this Forensic method of problem solving and it also allows us  newbies (myself namely) LEARN   so much!

Thanks for your patience and thanks to the Forum "experts" being so helpful....  
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 6:32pm
Blackfish, thanks very much for the specs. I agree I'm not gonna alter the stock. I was just curious to see if mine had swelled if I were to mic the walls.

You carbine gurus have me interested in what that potentially means with regards to the CCNL 336. Some of you guy's dedication to the historical accuracy of these rifles is amazing.

I can now see two sides of the carbine love affair, both the collector and the shooter, and then the mix of the two.   My guess is that it's gonna get harder and harder to fall squarely into the shooter category of these rifles in the future given their age, almost completely diminished parts supply, and preserving their extremely important place in firearm history. Ever since I got the carbine I've been watching a lot of WWII documentaries, and it's awesome to see all the carbines in use. Watched a great Iwo documentary, and was stunned at the amount of carbines used by what appeared to be front line Marines.

Markdam, thanks for your encouraging words. I completely agree about giving a huge thanks to the forum experts for being so generous and patient with their time.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 7:01pm
Here is some more accuracy info that I've collected so far fwiw....Normally I do three groups of ten rounds when testing any modern day rifle with magnified optics, but my technique & perhaps eyes aren't repeatable enough for more than 5rds at a time. With practice I hope to change this. I was quite surprised how hard it is to shoot a group at 100yds with irons.

Monarch vs USGI ammo....50yd/100yd

Also compares back to back range trip 50yd groups w both types of ammo.

Some personal observations, the USGI 100yd group made me smile ear to ear. If I can repeat that over and over again with USGI ammo, I'll be tickled pink.

Secondly, it's amazing how much more accuracte 40+ year old USGI lake city ammo is over currently produced quality brass commerical ammo like Monarch. Sadly it's just to pricey for myself to aquire much of at a time, therefore I think I'm gonna settle on Monarch as the primary ammo for the rifle.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by LMTmonoMan LMTmonoMan wrote:

I can now see two sides of the carbine love affair, both the collector and the shooter, and then the mix of the two.

I think we will all agree no matter where we fall as a collector, shooter or both, we want your carbine to work correctly. I for one am hoping that a different recoil plate is the solution, if not than a different stock may do it and if it comes down to that I have an unmarked pot belly that I could send your way for next to nothing.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 9:55pm
If the OP's recoil plate is cast, then it's a RIA and the tab is only ~ 7/16" wide. Most others are ~ 1/2" wide. So don't replace it with another RIA recoil plate. The Data Sheet in first post noted "W" for Winchester so I was surprised to see it so narrow in the picture that was later posted.

Also, the dimension of the receiver opening in the stock should be 1.23" max. It should be a pretty snug fit with the receiver and center the barrel properly even with a loose recoil plate.
JackP
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 11:09pm
Thanks Wayne for the offer, if this doesn't fix it I'll definitely be in the market for a new stock.

Fantastic catch, and information Jack...I filled it out within days of buying the carbine, so I wasn't clear on some stuff. I also marked M1A1 instead of the shape of the recoil plate so apparently I thought something else must have been the recoil plate.

I need to go over it again thoroughly now that I have more knowledge to correct anything else wrong. I will make note of any corrections and most likely just redo another sheet for it.

Really wanted to know why mine had such a smaller tab on bottom.

You guys are wizards:)
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 11:26pm
Jack, according to your measurement, mine is indeed quite out of spec....

Another measurement a few inches forward right before the stock bridge was 1.2485"
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 3:42pm
That measurement is not out of line for a well worn stock. I have a few that are almost that wide. Maybe a few layers of masking tape on the right side will suffice until you get a tighter recoil plate. What's the dimension of the opening in the receiver?
JackP
topsoldier View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 4:09pm
Well... I see this small problem is going sideways....and up and down...
:-)
First off...the M1 Carbine was not built to be a MATCH rifle. They are fairly accurate...fairly....UNLESS...properly bedded and barrel tensioned to the stock front band area..
This problem that the WINCHESTER is having..is super common..and - can be corrected....but...it requires some small amount of bedding...which is simple - and permanent. Unless you have bedded a rifle before..it will require some explanation... Would take about an hour or so... no - not the explaining.....the bedding job...
I built MATCH Rifles and SNIPER Rifles for Uncle SAM....many of them...bedded over 500 rifles... DO NOT use tape.. WW2 Soldiers used that black "cloth" electrical tape...when in combat, the weapon would heat up and the tape would stick to the stock and rifle...basically bedding the rifle...
Made them shoot a lot better..but were an absolute nightmare to dis- assemble afterwards..
Buy yourself a "kit" .. of 2 tubes of DEVCON PLASTIC STEEL or ALUMINUM....DO NOT buy the fast setting type..You want the 24 hour set of it.. Comes in 2 tubes..like a glue..
After you get it - get back to me and I will lay out - what to do....
Have a great one...... Gene

NAVY/ARMY ARMORER - MATCH - SNIPER
markdam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote markdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 7:42pm
 🍿 🍿 🍿
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 6:00pm
Just curious..
If the wood ledge the Recoil Plate bottom sets on is 'Mushy' ?

Regards,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 7:40pm
Thanks guys for continuing to show interest, and provide fantastic feedback.

Firstly, I went ahead and did another CC sheet for the rifle to update some parts replaced, as well as correct an error or two. I still found it rather challenging at times to figure out which option to pick. It can be found in the original post of the thread

Secondly, Jack.....thanks for letting me know that it's at least still in usable spec range. When you say what's the dimension for the receiver opening...what area are you referring to?

Gene, thanks firstly for your service, and secondly for the wonderful advice and suggestion. If this comes down to bedding the recoil plate, I'll certainly go buy the materials and get back with you for instructions.

Charlie, it's very firm under the recoil plate as far as my tactile sense goes...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>