The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose handguard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 5:36pm
Just me, but I am not a believer in shimming anything to make it fit. It just ain’t natural on a carbine.😁
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 5:55pm
okay I think I got it. I had none of the materials you listed, but have electrical tape and a razor blade, so I buy tiny strips and put on end of the metal rivet. Looks like it will hold and my band and spring are butting up against each other. Will shoot 100+ rounds tomorrow and see how she does. Gotta shoot my new QH also. But just testing it out. Thanks a lot Floyd. I am still wanting to find a longer handguard though. I don’t like Jerry rigging stuff haha
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Just me, but I am not a believer in shimming anything to make it fit. It just ain’t natural on a carbine.😁

YES ME EITHER. I’m anal about my stuff. I want it done right. But I really do not want to change out my barrel band. I have 0 problems with accuracy with it, and it looks awesome. I NEED a longer handguard. If you have one long I’ll pay you more than what it is worth. It’s like an addiction, once it’s in my mind I can’t get over it. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 6:38pm
I have one I can send you to try, but it’s not one you’d prolly like to have on there. I would surely take that band spring out of the one that fits over to the one that don’t. They appear to be of the two different types and if it works, you can pretty easily find one of that type. I never had any luck in finding one longer or shorter enough to make enough difference, but Smokepole indicates he has. If you can get enough to prevent the guard from popping out, it can be tightened if it’s only slightly lose. All you have to do is slide the band up and take a small punch and tap the band out from the small hole in the left side. I would just have to try that.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I NEED a longer handguard. 

I have a handguard that came with some stocks I got from JLG, it is longer than any handguard I have ever seen, maybe foreign wood. Very long lip up-front, it may work for you, may even need sanded down a bit to fit. You can have it if you want to try it.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 6:59pm
Jump on Wayne’s offer with both feet Rebel! I find Universal and Iver Johnson guards to be a tad longer and have one on a USGI carbine now. Wayne has one he knows to be long……can’t beat that.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 7:57pm
yessir I will take it! Let me know what you want for it and what I need to do. And what is “JLG”?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 8:17pm
PM sent, it will cost you the price of shipping. I meant to say J&G not "JLG" I must have been thinking about my Heavy Equipment days when I was typing. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 8:32pm
Thank you! Let’s see how it does! Thanks for helping a newbie 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2021 at 6:22pm
WAYNE Hooked me up. Not only does it match, but my barrel band now comes into to contact with the band retaining spring. Thank you, sir. Handguard no longer moves, even with the band screw un- tightened 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123