Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose gas nut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose gas nut
    Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 10:56pm
I was cleaning up my 6.67 mil Inland hand stamped tonight, I have never shot it and figured I would enjoy a few rounds down the barrel sometime in the future. While cleaning I noticed that the castle nut was loose and I was actually able to unscrew it with my finger tips. The nut, piston and threads are very clean and undamaged. It looks to me like the original staking just never made it to the threads as they are not goofed up either. I have a USGI nut wrench but before I used it I wanted to check with you folks to make sure I do it right. I’m assuming that once it’s seated finger tight I would use the wrench with a couple of fingers to just snug it up. I know to be careful not to overtighten which could crack the gas cylinder. Give it a try at the range and if need be thereafter some sparse blue lock tight to keep it in place again only if need be. Does this all sound correct? Many Thanks.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 6:35am
JimFhr View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFhr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Logman Logman wrote:

. . . . . .Give it a try at the range and if need be thereafter some sparse blue lock tight to keep it in place again only if need be. Does this all sound correct? Many Thanks.

Sounds correct to me. . . . .

I snug the nut up FINGER TIGHT after applying BLUE Loctite . . . .ignoring the original staking/prick punch mark . . .then when I want to clean the cylinder/piston, I use the ordnance wrench to break loose the castle nut for removal. (I’m a stickler for clean weapons!)

Been doing this for years with NO ill effects!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2019 at 10:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply