The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LC 52

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 9:49am
Here is another page on the Chinese LC 52 which shows a cut away case with the berdan anvil

It might be better to take pictures of your cases on their sides and as straight on as possible to see if the case is shaped differently.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 10:32am
Thanks Dan, I had not seen that article before. 

It is just baffling to me that neither of the cases marked LC52 are not berdan primed (only have one flash hole) and have different headstamps. I dont know what I should do with them, to be honest. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I dont know what I should do with them, to be honest. 

If they are for sure not Berdan primed, I'd say shoot them. As Jond41403 said, maybe just a case of 2 different legit headstamps during that timeframe at Lake City. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 12:09pm
Thanks Wayne. Will all Berdan primed cases have 2 flash holes? Though I read that not all will have 2.. but I am not sure how accurate that was. Is there another way to tell, other than the flash hole (1 vs 2)? 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 12:17pm
Not 100% sure, I had always thought that all berdan primed had 2 flash holes, I did read that post on one of the links above that said some berdan primed only had one hole, but the hole is not centered. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 12:51pm
I have had Berdan cases show up in factory Boxer ammo, overseas stuff. You never know until you try and decap one with a sizing die.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 5:32pm
aint nothing every simple and easy is it? 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

aint nothing every simple and easy is it? 

It's as easy as a sealed LC spam can ;) I haven't seen those faked yet. But not so easy to find anymore!
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 6:38pm
Back in ~1989 I bought a USGI green ammo box full of M1 Garand rounds all neatly packed in 8 round clips w/ the paper covering over them.  Headstamped "LC 62 MATCH".  Red primer sealant present.  Comparison of the headstamps on the Garand cartridges with those of Rebel's carbine cartridges reveals: 
1) Light stamping on Garand similar to that on the headstamp on left of Rebel's carbine rounds.
2)  The letter 'C' on Garand round is almost closed as in Rebel's carbine round on the left.
However:
3)  The number '2' on the Garand round more closely resembles that on Rebel's round on the RIGHT.  If you look closely at the Rebel round on the right the straight horizontal part on the bottom of the number '2' appears to protrude out farther than the curved part of the '2' above it.  That is evident on my Garand round.

Are we all confused now?
I'm fixin' to have a beer and forget about it. 
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 8:52am
Yep confused.  I’m gonna reload it, then Imma shoot it and hope I don’t explode. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

where it is said that when compared side by side there are slight differences in the shape.

https://www.oldammo.com/march06.htm
See the second photo and description in the article linked above.
Currently for sale as real Lake City.  Thumbs Down  Fortunately the seller shows the box. 
https://www.mmiammo.com/products/lake-city-usgi30c-usgi30c-usgi30c-5392
Probably a good image to save to everyone's Chinese LC52 file. 

Edited by Matt_X - Dec 21 2022 at 11:17pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 11:03pm
Good link, Matt. I will save that for sure for future reference. 

Guess I should have updated y’all on what I learned. I shot some of both, it all went bang and I still have all my fingers. Also have reloaded some, and it did not break my sizing die so I reckon it was ok!
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 11:20pm
I'm now sure the bottom half of the 5 on the casings you posted are not the same shape as the fake 5.

Check out the additional article I just added above -

Apparently the PRC (communist-China) casings are about 4 grains lighter than Lake City.
Also very difficult to remove the primers.

PS. With the maryland munitions webpage, either download the photo and/or open its own window (rt click) and its much larger with more detail.
With the Oldammo article, right click and open the photos will also lead to larger photos.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2022 at 6:26am
On occasion I will run across a piece of Berdan primed commie brass mixed-in with Boxer primed brass. The stuff shoots just fine and I only realize it when I start to decap it.

(Sort of a duplicate post I think. Old age kicking-in.)
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2022 at 9:20am
Maybe its a duplicate but its good to mention it again since the stuff is apparently on the market again.   If its true that it was manufactured to resupply their allies, then it ought to be safe to be shoot.  If it was just a copycat effort to make money, then all bets off.   Your experience at least indicates its probably OK stuff. 

Buyers should know its not Lake City; but is Berdan primed, and possibly corrosive.
In my opinion its not nearly as valuable as in-spec commerical or military ammo.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2022 at 12:13pm
I agree it's not as valuable as USGI ammo, but would probably be wise to put back a small amount of them just as a collectible. They will start drying up eventually as everything else does. Back in the day I was lucky enough to realize that black talons were going to go away and dry up so I bought quite a few boxes of them before they did. It is unbelievable now what a box of 20 of those go for, regardless of the caliber
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2022 at 12:18pm
I agree. I have been looking for a box and cannot bring myself to pay the real LC price.

Thinking about it, anyone have spent cases?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 9:04pm
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966624075

Some more going for non Chinese prices 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12