The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought my first carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuyAmer1can Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought my first carbine
    Posted: Dec 30 2021 at 12:50pm
Smile So I am fortunate enough to have a friend who sold me an Inland carbine and I'm trying to get up to speed with carbine info.  The rifle had been in a safe for over 30 years and had black grease and dirt all through the action.
I cleaned it up but there is a few spots of what appear to be black paint on the butt of the stock.  I'm not a wood expert so I'm going to put it out there.  Should I use a paint remover, or mineral spirits on the paint?  Would that soak into the walnut and stain it?  Should I use sand paper and risk having a clean area on the stock and have the rest of the stock look 70 years old?  Would a light sanding and tung oil treatment for the entire stock be my best bet?  HELP
Nothing from China
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2021 at 1:19pm
Welcome to the forum. I have had good results using acetone to remove paint spots. Raw linseed oil only after that.

Tung oil is produced chiefly in China from the tung tree Wink
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2021 at 2:46pm
If it’s slapped on like some, it is placed over the oiled stock and did not soak into the grain. I have been able to shave most Korean markings or rack numbers off with a razor blade.

Welcome to the family!
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2021 at 3:13pm
Great advice above.

I would clean as gently as possible at first.
If there is lettering or numbers it may be an interesting part of the carbine's history.
If its splotch from cousin Joe dropping a quart while painting the railing, that's another story.

For the dirt, I'd start with damp cloth. Maybe mineral spririts. 
Take your time and assess as you go along.

When you remove the carbine from the stock, see if you judge condition of the wood and finish.  Is filthy inside?  Does it feel sticky? Look really dry?

The original finish for the stock was dunking in a vat of linseed oil. 
If the stock had any sections of lighter colored sapwood, those areas were often sprayed with a stain (before dunking).

BuyAmer1can View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuyAmer1can Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2021 at 8:13am
This rifle looks like its all original.  I field stripped it and photographed every stamped letter and number.  But being a newbie that's just a guess.  Anyhow if this rifle is "as issued"  I don't want to ruin it by making it look brand new. 
Thanks for the info.  And buy American. 
Nothing from China
JohnnyDollar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by BuyAmer1can BuyAmer1can wrote:

This rifle looks like its all original.  I field stripped it and photographed every stamped letter and number.  But being a newbie that's just a guess.  Anyhow if this rifle is "as issued"  I don't want to ruin it by making it look brand new. 
Thanks for the info.  And buy American. 
...and yet, I see no photos.... Smile
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2021 at 9:34am
Did you fill out a datasheet?

Regarding Tung Oil:
Though native to China, it was brought to the Americas at the turn of the century and cultivated in  Georgia, Florida, and across to Texas.  In south America Argentina and Paraguay were known for producing tung oil
It was actually declared a strategic defense item prior to WW2.
It was used to make paint, seal wood and several other uses.

Tung oil was sensitive to frost and several times US crops were wiped out. At some point it was found more economical to produce other crops and import tung oil.

In 1940 Japan attempted to embargo all imports into China. This prompted US oil exports and I am sure you know lead to the attack on Pearl Harbor Shocked

China had figured out how to use tung oil as a fuel.

why do I bring this up? Well there is a resurgence in tung growth in the USA and they have been testing fuel in small planes.
There are growers in the south processing tung oil, though not at the volume that the US once required.
So you can do a little research and buy US made tung oil

RLO is the approved finish for USGI wood with PTO being an approved alternate.

I think PTO used to be the approved finish and there are reasons why now RLO is the main finish

BuyAmer1can View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuyAmer1can Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2022 at 8:24am
I field stripped the carbine and took pictures of each part that had markings.  Where do I find the data sheet?  I'd like to print one out and submit it.
Nothing from China
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by BuyAmer1can BuyAmer1can wrote:

Where do I find the data sheet?  I'd like to print one out and submit it.

In New2brass's post, you should see the following in a different color than the rest of the text:

In my computer's browser its blue or purple.  Yours may be the same.
If you click on it with your mouse (or equivalent) it will take you to a thread with similar links.
The first link in that thread is a blank pdf datasheet.  You can print that and fill it out.
The second link is a word processor version, which you may be able to fill out on your computer.

The following link is to a post that can serve as an exceptional example.

It's a good example of both photos and a completed data sheet.
It's exceptional in that the stock had a name on it that Hunterman was able to track down.  That's a rarity for sure! 

Here's a 1944 Inland with good photos.
We could fill out much of the datasheet with just those photos.
 Post Reply Post Reply