Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

July 1945 Built Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: July 1945 Built Winchester
    Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 9:49pm
Picked this Battle hardened late Winchester from Ken Otero. Its all correct Winchester parts and stock. 
You can tell from the machining marks that they were building these late War Carbines Hard & Fast...

HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 9:58pm
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 10:08pm
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2021 at 11:47pm
Looks like it's been to hell and back!
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2021 at 8:44am
Hammer-
Nice pick up. Ken has always had nice stuff and is great to work with. Hope he makes it to the SOS in February.
Glenn
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2021 at 11:11am
Great looking rifle! While the stock does look to have been around the block a couple of times, the receiver, (especially around the chamber and feed ramp), the mag catch, and other visible internals, look to be mostly crisp. The feed ramp on my NPM shooter actually has two distinct depressions on both halves of the ramp with a small swale raised up in the middle of it.
Great addition, BUT put me solidly in the camp of "you're not through yet":)

John
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2021 at 1:39pm
IF I were to add just one more to somehow cram into the Cabinet, I would really only be interested in adding another Rock-Ola to the Stable. 

That's the one Make that I'm drawn to because of my Grandfathers Carbine being the 1st Rifle I ever owned, and Rock-Ola's making fewer than the other makers, and its beautiful wood. 

I was given the late RC by my Grandfather, and I was given the Inland 270 by a long time Marine friend, and honestly I picked up the Inland 3446 just to compare what my 270's pre-production (test?) parts looked like as compared to the earliest post testing parts.  

I got the two Winchesters just because of their makers historical US Military weapons connection and I feel that niche is complete with the early and late two I have.  

I know others are very interested in IPs, S'G',s and other Makes for different reasons but I'm really not drawn in any way to those other makers :-) 

Rock-Olas call to me like Aztec Gold though :-) 
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2021 at 5:29pm
"Rock-Olas call to me like Aztec Gold though:-)"

I know exactly what you mean but in my case I'm partial to Postal Meters. My 95 year old WWII vet Dad retired after 41 years with the USPS back in the early 90's and from the first time I learned that NPM was a manufacturer, it seemed like a natural. Not to say I wouldn't love to have a Rock-Ola (for the cool factor) or a Winchester (just because it's a Winchester) but based on no more than that, It's NPM for me.
Oh, and speaking of my dad, I went out to his place yesterday afternoon to sight an optical on an AR as he has relatively unlimited room to shoot compared to me and took the 4.14 NPM (the mixmaster) with me. I asked him if he wanted to fire a few rounds thru it and he put six of seven in 6" circle offhand at 30-40 yards. Not going to get him to Camp Perry but not bad. I shouldn't be surprised though. He doesn't look or seem his age at all. He has even had people challenge him in public when wearing his WWII veteran hat. He never says a word back to them, just quietly pulls out his drivers license and watches them skulk away mumbling an apology.

John

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2021 at 5:44pm
Sounds like you truly get where I’m coming from. I hesitate to even mention my lack of interest in other makers and models because I don’t want to offend the longtime Carbine collectors who genuinely are drawn to all makes and models. I just applaud their interest and enthusiasm :-)

That’s really nice you’re able to visit with your father. And that he’s able to still get out and shoot. What a great generation! We had to move my 86-year-old Marine father into a nursing home about a year and a half ago due to the onset of dementia. One thing he has not forgotten is that he is a Marine and he smiles and sits up a little straighter every time I talk to him about it.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 8:00pm
I don't have any favorite maker. What interests me mostly is the oddball stuff like lineouts or rare variations. It doesn't matter what make. Almost everyone has their own little niche that they particularly enjoy. But isn't that what collecting is all about? The thrill of the hunt and the war whoop when you find one????
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 8:10pm
Yes!!!

Marcus Rust has an absolutely amazing collection of what you call oddball Carbines that has quite a few line-thru’s and he just recently educated me on the rationale behind one maker sending their receiver to another makers plant in order to get it finished quicker to get on the boat to get overseas to the War faster. Absolutely amazing cooperation and collaboration in that Great War effort. America at its best demonstrated in these amazing M1 carbine’s.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 9:53pm
Marcus and I have corresponded for years. I have access to his on line photo collection. Incredible stuff.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2021 at 9:23pm
nice! I would love to find a 7mil Winchester that’s correct/original. 
kar6666 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kar6666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2021 at 9:36pm
I have always had a soft spot for S'G's. I guess because it took me the longest time to find one. After I found one it was always hard for me to pass one by if it were just a little different than the ones I had.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2021 at 8:52am
Would love to see some more pictures of the handguard-stock interface. Also, with production restrictions at this point of the war, I doubt WRA was just throwing them out the door to get them produced, ( thus the sloppy workmanship ) it was more their typical heavy milling marks being the hallmark of their work.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2021 at 8:47pm

Is this what you were looking for IRT Handguard-Stock interface?
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2021 at 7:55am
Yes, thanks for the pictures. I like late Winchester carbines like this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply