Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

JM type III barrel band with screw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JM type III barrel band with screw
    Posted: Aug 11 2020 at 8:13pm
I recently picked up a carbine that looks like someone loosened the screw too much and stripped out the threads. So I’m replacing it. It needs to have good parkerized finish, screw, and obviously, not stripped out. I can be reached via email or text message. 

Justan McKinney
804-912-3391
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2020 at 9:00pm
Some screws have a hardened flattened tip on them. If someone removed that type of screw instead of just loosening it, that could strip the threads. I've seen that done on several barrel bands. The idea was that a flat tip would prevent the screw from coming out and getting lost when the carbine was disassembled for cleaning and maintenance. Some folks didn't get the memo!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 8:03am
I have had and see bands for sale routinely with stripped threads. About the only fix is to go to the next size, which is usually 1/4. It makes for a gaudy assembly, but it works. I have attempted to peen them, but they are hardened. Not much success.

Replacement T3’s can be had for about $20 plus shipping, or pay 3x that off epay.
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2020 at 5:04pm
that’s what I think happened, I’m just going to replace it 
 Post Reply Post Reply