Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Cheers or Jeers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Italian surplus M4 Bayonets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 11:38am
Got 2 from Midway - Grade 1.
Both are AET. 1 is 1959, SN 104448, appears unissued with a repainted scabbard.  The other is 1955, SN 29666, appears unissued with a USM8A1 - PWH scabbard.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 5:40pm
I just received my second Italian bayonet, this time from Midway, ordered April 20 (6 days). It's a select Grade 1 and is a pristine un-issued A.E.T., serial number 116513, dated 1959 with a slightly used repainted scabbard.   
JackP
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 7:30pm
I was away on a trip to FL for 6 days, and my second CF order came in while I was gone.

I received 2 more bayonets, as follows:

A.E.T.     1956     33996     M8 Copy, Unissued     Excellent condition, still in cosmoline     

A.E.T.     1957     46131     M8 Copy, Used     Well used condition, edge has dents from hitting metal     

The data is much clearer now. We've moved forward by 5 years of production, as two of us (myself included) initially misread some year markings. So, these did not begin in 1950, but probably 1955, and the serial number data now correlates by year.

Here is the latest update:

Thank you very much for your data.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 8:29pm
Has anyone received an F.E.T. manufactured Italian bayonet? I'm thinking they are probably a misread of an A.E.T. marking at this point.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 9:25pm
I agree that A.E.T was probably misread as F.E.T. CF's description initially mentions "AET Manufacture" only. It's only later in the description that they add FET. Midway's description only says "Made in Italy" and their picture shows only the AET marking. Other forums discussing the subject sales by CF and Midway mentioned only A.E.T.
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 10:06pm
There was a mention on the CMP forum of an AEP bayonet but I bet that was misread as well. A couple of individuals there requested FET markings but received AET instead.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 9:36am
A.E.T. is Arsenale Esercito Torino which is the Turin Army Arsenal.

From my notes when collecting Mannlichers, I had a very hard time finding the fabricators, armories etc in Italy.  And if I butchered the translations I apologize in advance as I have to use google to translate.

Fabbrica d'Armi Di Terni which is Firearms Manufacturing of Terni, made Carcano bayonets. But I suspect if they made them the mark would be F.M.T. or as we carbine guys know from stocks F.A.T.

Fabbrica National d'Armi Brescia =National Arms Factory in Brescia

Fabbrica d,Armi Pietro Beretta  in Gardone, uncertain if there is a separate Gardone Arms Factory

There is a bayonet for the BM59 made by A.E.T. some were reported as A.E.P. This is similar in construction to the ones offered for sale in this thread. the ring was bigger to fit the BM59. Think these will also fit the AR15

The BM59 was a derivative of the M1 Garand which had a removable magazine. 
There are Italian made Garand bayonets with the marking AEP over a number in an oval. But these look like traditional M5 bayonets grips with larger ring then the M4.
These are believed to be Arsenale Regio Esercito di Piacenza = Arsenal of Piacenza City

Bit off topic but if anyone knows any other Italian Arsenals please let me know.

Back on topic, What I would be interested in is if the logo changed over the years on the A.E.T. Bayonets. Might help with those reported with no date as being a different manufacturer 

Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Might help with those reported with no date as being a different manufacturer

New2brass,

Did I miss a report of an A.E.T. bayonet with no date in this thread, or was that information gathered elsewhere?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 9:33pm
Probably on CMP. But i have seen threads in several places from several years ago.

I think these bayonets have been imported for about 10 years now.
Northridge and a few others have had them for about that long.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 8:42am
Mentioned above was a M5 type BM 59 bayonet that had the AEP in oval

Here is an example of a AEP but is for the BM 59. Notice the guard has a larger hole.
Very conceivable that AEP made a M4 version

LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2018 at 10:53pm
Excellent work David, and thanks for taking the time to chart out the data. I also really appreciate the very informative replies from other members, and Dan's usual knowledge bombs that he drops in everybody's thread:)

I posted a review on the CMP forum about the Italian surplus AET 59 bayo/scabbard I received from Midway on Friday of last week for $29.99, however I'm just now discovering this thread so figured I might as well add another data point, and some pics.

Mine appears to be somewhere in between a grade 1 and grade 2 imho...as it's blade hasn't ever been sharpened, and only has slight superficial damage on the flat sides of the blade from being inserted in and out of a scabbard numerous times. The plastic grips, screws, nuts, guard, and locking mechanism/butt are all in NOS condition. It fits nicely on a carbine with a little play once fully locked in. The scabbard isn't a U.S. model, but rather the generic Italian copy that has already been discussed in this thread. It's got a rack number, and it's repainted finish has chipped away in a few small places.

The Make and Year are:   AET 1959.   
Purchased from MidwayUSA on 8/7/18.
Price was $29.99.
Serial number: 121052
Scabbard: Used M8 copy
Condition: Excellent condition, only superficial blade marks with unsharpened blade, and heavily coated in cosmoline

Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and would recommend this product given it's quality and price.

Front side of the full bayonet and scabbard:

Back side of the full bayonet and scabbard:

Up close markings on front side of blade (AET 1959):

Up close marking on rear side of blade:

BROKEN DOWN PICS:

Front side of Bayonet broken down:

Back side of Bayonet broken down:

Marking at the bottom of the tang near butt beneath grips (MS5V...?):

Marking in the middle of the tang beneath grips ( AET59 in a box):

Up close of the locking mechanism:

Up close of one side's weld connecting the guard to the tang:

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 6:34am
A.E.T  1957  42730  USM8A1-PWH (metal tip)  floydthecat  Midway Grade-1 Excellent Shape

$29.99 plus shipping

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 9:52am
I have a question. My scabbard appears to have had a wire-loop that has been removed. The top of the loop is stitched as if it once had a hanger. Was this common practice for those carbine-gifted allies that did not use the loop?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Was this common practice for those carbine-gifted allies that did not use the loop?

Yes, I believe the Italians removed all the wire hangers from the USGI scabbards that they received.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2018 at 9:12am
I bought another bayonet after Midway dropped the price. This one is "A.E.T. 1955, 16234, plastic grip. In a unmarked sheath. Both look to be almost new. Very happy.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2018 at 7:00pm
Here's an update to the Italian M4 Bayonet spreadsheet. Thanks to all for providing the additional information.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2018 at 10:19am
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
watchdog49 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 11:26am
Still available from Midway advertised at "CLEARANCE" price -- ordered one today.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 9:05pm
I've ordered a few of these and here is what I got:
Classic F.:
AET 1959 s/n 118776, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
MidwayUSA Grade 1:
AET 1959 s/n 96242, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 127835, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 142241, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard

Out of my Midway orders, I had to return 2 grade 1's. One was well used and the bayonet guard weld had separated. The second bayonet was nice but the cloth on the scabbord was very frayed and torn across the entire right side.
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2018 at 4:51am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

I've ordered a few of these and here is what I got:
Classic F.:
AET 1959 s/n 118776, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
MidwayUSA Grade 1:
AET 1959 s/n 96242, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 127835, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 142241, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard

Out of my Midway orders, I had to return 2 grade 1's. One was well used and the bayonet guard weld had separated. The second bayonet was nice but the cloth on the scabbord was very frayed and torn across the entire right side.

The one I ordered looks unused and has  AET w/cross cannons, flaming bomb & 1958 on one side. The number 85382 is on the other side of the blade near the grip.
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>