The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is My Slide Stop Working Correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is My Slide Stop Working Correctly?
    Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 4:56pm
I have my M1 carbine disassembled for inspection, cleaning, and completing a data sheet. I have a Type V slide. It has the angled cam and part # 7160091 stamped on it. Therefore it has the later slide stop pin and spring.

When the rifle was assembled the slide stop functioned just fine. However after disassembling the rifle I noticed that if I pushed in the slide stop pin, it stayed pushed it. It did not return to its original position. Next, if I push the slide stop pin back out (from the bottom of the slide arm) to its original position, it stayed in that position.

Is this normal? Or should the pin be under spring tension and therefore return its normal position of protruding from the top of the slide arm? I am thinking I need a new spring.

If I need to replace the spring, how do remove the slide stop and spring from the slide? I checked YouTube and I could not find any videos for this but perhaps I am using the wrong search phrase.

Thanks,
Quibbley
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Quibbley Quibbley wrote:

Is this normal?

Yes.
In use it gets pushed into the recess of the reciever and the slide allowed forward until the pin hits the wall of the recess.
To release, the slide is pulled back smartly.  The pin rides up the sloped back of the recess.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 6:31pm
The plunger is held in place by a small spring in a blind pocket behind the plunger. It can’t come out from the top, but can be pushed out through the bottom....with the slide dismounted of course. These little boogers rarely need attention, but can be removed for cleaning. It’s sort of tricky to get it back together and is better of left alone if it is functioning.
Quibbley View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 8:57pm
It seems like it working so I will leave it alone. But it’s nice to know how to replace the spring if ever it’s needed. Thanks guys.
Quibbley
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 3:05pm
Welcome Quibbley,  Clap
Matt and Floyd have explained it well.
The spring just applies sideward friction.

Sometimes the bottom tip of the pin wont hold the Slide locked back.
Because it develops a beveled edge from wear.
Often by just rotating the stop pin 180 will cure that problem.

I had one that when released wasn't popping completely up causing drag on the Slide.
I found a finish wear line on the bottom rail, caused by the bottom of the stop pin not fully retracting. When I replaced the spring I could see the old one had uncoiled somewhat and assume it was binding the stop pin. I believe the old spring had been mangled by someone trying to incorrectly R and R it.
Fresh spring made a big difference. I now have the habit after releasing the Slide Stop of pulling it up from the top, so I know it's in the full upward position.

I believe you'll be able to see in this picture the Wear / Dragging the bottom of the Pin was doing before replacing the spring:

FWIW,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Quibbley View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2021 at 3:03am
Hi Charlie - Thanks for the info on the slide stop pin. Nice to know about the pin being able to develop a bevel and how to workaround that. I will keep an eye out for this and signs of the pin dragging on the receiver. 
Quibbley
 Post Reply Post Reply