Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irwin Pedersen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irwin Pedersen
    Posted: May 09 2019 at 7:48pm
Here is a nice early example of a original IP . This carbine has all IP parts as most early in this SN block did . 

Edited by New2brass - May 17 2019 at 4:15pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 8:36pm
How close in serial number is this one to Big Red's or Red Special that was posted on CMP?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

How close in serial number is this one to Big Red's or Red Special that was posted on CMP?

Very close, but the last 2 digits are blocked out on the Red Special "Holy Grail" IP post on CMP. 17737??
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 9:12pm
That's what I had recorded. Also was wondering if they are the same Carbines.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 10:10pm

Also was wondering if they are the same Carbines.

I think this one is in better condition, also think Red Special's has a 1-43 Rock-ola barrel.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 7:57am
Note the N on the barrel. Last time I saw that barrel I said, I've got one of those backwards N barrels. Scott hadn't noticed it before then.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 10:25am
How common is that? I have never seen or at least noticed a backwards N before? I just had to go check my 1-43 U-Wood barrel, it's N is correct.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 12:06pm
Maybe like an UN-QUALITY? Scott's other was on an NPM. I have an IP with one, a friend has an Underwood with one. There were a couple I've seen at auction.

Edited by tenOCEE - May 10 2019 at 7:22pm
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Very close, but the last 2 digits are blocked out on the Red Special "Holy Grail" IP post on CMP. 17737??

The 2 IPs are close But no cigar . Probably its a good thing that we are not 1 digit off because we would more then likely be bothering each other to buy each others carbine ...
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 5:40pm

Note the N on the barrel. Last time I saw that barrel I said, I've got one of those backwards N barrels. Scott hadn't noticed it before then.

Good eye Doug , another one I didn't notice . so that makes 2 in my inventory ..
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 5:50pm
Do all of the Backwards N U-Wood barrels have the same date?

@ Scott, absolutely beautiful Carbine, I wish it was in my gun safe!!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 5:59pm

Do all of the Backwards N U-Wood barrels have the same date?

@ Scott, absolutely beautiful Carbine, I wish it was in my gun safe!!

Thanks Wayne , Yes it seems all the backwards N's are all 1-43 so far !
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 7:26pm
Not that I've seen the stamping device, but that's not something you can rotate like a clock hand and get a backwards letter. It would have to be flipped or someone would've made one backwards, which is probably how it happened? They made an N that was oriented correctly when looked at but since it's a stamp the impression is backwards.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 3:36pm
There are two methods that I know of to mark the barrel in that time frame.
one where the dies is straight and it rolls the mark as barrel is rotated. This can be a one piece die or a jig that holds individual stamps ganged together.

the other is where the marking die is a wheel. Picture a pipe cutter and the cutter is instead larger and has the letters incorporated into it. The device has pressure applied and then rotated to put the impression of the letters into the work-piece. This can also be a machine like above just a different die

If you flip an "N" upside down it is still a "N" 
In either case the N was created backwards on the die.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 4:57pm
If you ROTATE an N it's still an N.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 10:45am
If you rotate an N would it not look like a Z? Confused
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Only if you half-A rotate it.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 1:42pm

Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Only if you half-A rotate it.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Smile
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 8:35pm
You know where you can rotate it? CensoredLOL
RedSpecial View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 4:54pm

Also was wondering if they are the same Carbines.

I think this one is in better condition, also think Red Special's has a 1-43 Rock-ola barrel.

Yes, 1-43 Rock-Ola. Last two "00", this one is in better condition most likely. Mine has patina all over it, it had surface mostly on the right side but that all cleaned up with a little elbow grease. My IP is missing the sling swivel and the barrel band screw was replaced with a standard hardware shop machine screw. 
-Neil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>