Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland XB 271

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland XB 271
    Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 5:10pm
Flip sight staking:

Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 8:45pm
Is it real?
Dave
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 9:16pm
I don't think so. No "S". Did you know that "S" stands for "sinister", Latin for "on the left side", opposite of "dexter".
JackP
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 9:30pm
The rear sight is unmarked and staked the same way on both sides

Gas cylinder. The rainbow color is from CLP and my suspect picture taking skills.

Barrel Band

AS marking (or is it PI....)

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 9:48pm
Looks like a very early Inland with a removable, "pinned" gas cylinder. American Swiss Type 2 barrel band. I would have expected a Type 1 barrel band with this barrel. Parts appear somewhat polished.
JackP
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 10:02pm
@davet: I think it is a real rear sight but with no markings and such strange pin staking, it is hard to know for sure.

@jackp: Great observations. It is an early Inland receiver. The entire barreled receiver is blued and polished.

An early Inland should have a type 1 band, but this one was presented long after the end of the war.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2018 at 9:41pm
Receiver, stock, handguard, trigger housing, M2 slide and other parts

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 11:02am
Nice cherry stock.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 1:02pm
Thanks Charles. Did not realize it was cherry. Still not great at identifying wood but thie stock is marked OI in the slingwell. There is no cartouche as one would expect. Hand guard is also marked OI.

Any tips as to identifying cherry wood?
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 1:56pm
Unfortunate to have been reblued of a high polished Colt type blue. Typical of what many gunsmiths do to sporter rifles. The trigger housing is of red color due to being a cast piece. When Ruger came out with the M77 their recievers were of investment casting and they struggled a few years with that problem. My early M77 reciever was reddish color and since it never shot well, rebarreled with a douglas barrel. My friend in Oregon who is into the Winchester rifles reblued my M77 and just blued over the reciever without touching or polishing. Barrel was spun with his secrect grit and the special blue to duplicate the Winchester color is secrecative to very few in that business. To this day it is hard to detect any reddish color in the reciever. I have a Win 1890 that was in a fire and draw filed and reblued. When I get picture educated would like to post picture showing this barrel. If carbine was mine, I would repolish to courser grit and reblue or parkerized. Sure like the stock also. Jim K.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 3:06pm
Hmm, I do not believe Overton ever used cherry.

Who says it is re-blued and not original blueing? This is a presentation carbine with what I believe to have a special history.
Many presentation carbines were polished and blued. As to the trigger housing, take a very close look at it. Notice anything?
Interesting call on the TH being cast. Cast parts have been observed with redish hue, however we have seen parts such as receivers being a plum color due to the metallurgical composition of the metal used and not being blued at the correct temperature for said metal.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 6:02pm
The trigger housing is an M2 type VI, unless my lousy computer let me down again.

Yep, it did let me down, not a VI.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 6:34pm
Having only a photo as an example I still think it is cherry but having 40 years experience as a cabinet maker I do believe it to be cherry.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 7:06pm
@Charles-The stock is marked OI in the slingwell. I see wavy and straight grains. Walnut can have wavy or curly grains. Have an old wood id book and it looks like walnut to me.

Edit: Added more pictures of the stock. Will reserve judgement on the type of wood until they are reviewed by the experts and a consensus is reached.

Note the saw marks still in the wood under the buttplate

Good call on the trigger housing as it is thought to be cast. There is no hammer spring recess. Side note: It is a giant pain to get it back together without the recess. It is unmarked except for an A on both sides of the rear section of the upper trigger guard.

old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2018 at 8:59am
I observed an Inland presentation carbine recently marked "M2" on the receiver ring. How is this one marked? 
Retired Army Guy
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2018 at 9:18am
The ring is marked M1
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2018 at 10:55am
Ted, if was  a presentation as Dan seems to think, isn't it possible they may have used cherry, being a more exotic wood then walnut? May I suggest removing the butt plate, if it has not been stained, you can get a better idea of what it is or I could.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2018 at 3:59pm
No doubt in my mind this Inland presentation carbine (XB271) is the way it was put together long after production ceased. The parts were scrounged up where ever they could find them. The trigger housing is a remanent  of some experimental modifications. The only "X" presentation carbine above 100 for some reason. Maybe 271 was his lucky number or house number or his clock number..........etc
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2018 at 9:15pm
I agree with Grunt as not a type V1 M2. The curvature on side of trigger housing wrong, but agree is for an M2 but here I am again back to a blued cast iron piece turned red which makes me think could even be an Erma in a period of time cutting corners to cast instead of milling parts in my opinion.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2018 at 9:24pm
@arthur- trying to find more information other than what is known, but no luck so far. Will keep trying.

Wonder what the A marked on the either side of the housing signify?

Does not look like receiver and ring are roll stamped.

Receiver

Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>