Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland s/n 373872

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland s/n 373872
    Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 5:13pm
A few weeks ago I got me an Inland .30M1, Ithaca 1911A1 and S&W Victory .38spl from Classic Military Arsenal in the Netherlands.
John also collects carbines, and has a very impressive rack of about 10 early carbines & lots of Winchesters (he a big Winchester fan).

Brand: Inland s/n 373872 (June '43)
Barrel marking: Inland MFG General Motors 5-43 rebarreled by AI (Dutch arsenal Artillerie Inrichtingen) 1-64

New sling with "knip hier" marking (so Dutch)

SG (Saginaw) marking underside of operating rod

KR marking on leftside of hammer

E.I. marking on backside of magazine release

W (Winchester) marking under the hammer spring

Inland marking leftside of trigger group

IO 2 marking on bolt lug never saw this before, I wonder what it could mean

bolt lug shape

black recoil plate

It looks like there is a new stock on this carbine. It is quite light in colour, looks like birch (yellowish colour).

Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 8:03pm
Nice pick up, Congratulations!

Without being too nosy, but more curious than anything, how do EU prices compare on USGI items to the US? Since you’re a member here I assume you follow pricing like most all of us do on rifles, pistols and accessories.

Please don’t misunderstand, not asking what you paid for this or any others in your collection, just wondering how the prices compare.

Thanks!
Danny Fowler, NCCS, USN (Retired)
NRA Life Member

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it.
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2021 at 4:38am
Dear Danny,
As a serious collector I follow the prices of course.
Thanks for the compliment. Prices in the Netherlands for .30M1s are relatively low compared to the ones in your country. That is I think, because the Dutch military (airforce/army/navy) and police made extensive use of the .30M1s and they got sold off later as surplus.
Price levels are depending on the purpose.
A normal sport shooter cabine (no early stocks/flip sights/safety etc.) goes for somewhere in between 300-500. Many arms shops have a few carbines in this. Almost all with replaced non-marked stocks/rebarreled by the AI (artillerie inrichtingen Dutch arsenal) somewhere in the 60's.
Next level is the one here: a low serial number. This one cost me 600.
Winchesters, early stocks, flip sights etc: that is not very interesting to a sport shooter, then you get into the collectors market. 
A Winchester quickly rises to 850 euro's.
But sometimes you're lucky because a sport-shooter ends his licence and has to get rid of his weapons quickly, because his licence ends that specific month. Got my 1943 I.B.M. (my 1st .30M1) for only 100 euro's. 
With Garands you quickly have a 2000 euro's price tag. 1903s go for around 1000.
An original 1911A1 quickly goes for 1000 euro's.
Last year I was lucky, got my a 1918 Eddystone P17 for only 200 euro because the sport-shooter had to get rid of it.
But anyway, some other Dutch guy may tell you differently of course. This is my personal experience.

Having strict laws regarding weapons also has its benefits: nobody is allowed to have them, so the prices drop.

Here I'm at the range with my .43 I.B.M. Won many matches with it. It has a replaced unmarked (probably non WW2) barrel and is serialized number by number by hand on the leftside of the receiver. Looks like a rebuilt one. More on this one here: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/ibm-30m1-sn-3675209_topic1159_post2582.html?KW=#2582

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2021 at 10:31am
Nice
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2021 at 11:27am
Thank you Patrick! You are a wealth of information sir, I found it very interesting. Particularly the pricing of Garands…Please don’t let the CMP hear that or they’ll raise their prices, kidding of course. I recently bought an all matching 1943 Colt 1911A1, 1000 Euros would have been MUCH cheaper. But seriously I know you were giving me a general price, and as they say, condition is everything and quickly changes the game.

Your mention of the licensing made me do some light research on ownership in the Netherlands and the application process, interesting reading.

Nothing wrong with strict rules as long as they are applied evenly, we should try that here sometime. But we have no time to enforce laws…we’re too busy writing new ones LOL.

Sorry, no intention of getting political, just joking around. Thank you again for the great information. A day is wasted if you don’t learn something, and you fulfilled that for me today!

NRA Life Member

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2021 at 3:56am
Thanks for the nice message. Yes condition, proper markings and finish has a great impact on the pricing. 
Can you tell me what .30M1s & garands cost in your country? And a Krag Jorgensen?
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2021 at 11:16am
Hopefully others will chime in and give you more accurate information than I can, I do have a couple of Garands but bought my first 30M1 just this year.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (theCMP.org) typically has Garands for sale, both by direct sale and auctions. Direct sales of “Rack, Field or Service” grades can run from $650-1050 or slightly more. You are allowed to purchase up to 8 per calendar year if available. They take the very interesting rifles and put them on the auction. There are 8 auctions active as I write this, with lower bids around $1000 and some already exceeding $4000 for an unissued model. Personal sales of the Garand are all over the place, but I’d say most run in the $1000-1500+ range.

The CMP is also selling off, by random number generator sale, USGI 1911A1’s from $1050-1250 in those same 3 grades. My numbers may be off here but I think there were about 80,000 in storage, and the Secretary of Defense had authorized CMP to sell them. They were supposed to provide CMP with 10,000 per year to sell, but they have been very secretive about what’s been released so far. Members are limited to one 1911 lifetime at present. I was lucky enough have my number come up, and I got a nice Remington Rand Field Grade for $1250, with matching slide and frame. It’s like that mysterious box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get. Again CMP took some of the nicest examples to auction, where the prices skyrocketed.

The 30M1 Carbine is a completely different animal, almost impossible to find one for less than $1000, and nice/rarer examples routinely run into the thousands. This is a novice observation, but those with import marks bring considerably less than those without. All firearms must be import marked since the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968.  Even so, import Carbines in larger quantities don’t come around that often from what I’ve seen, and sell out quickly when they do. I got one of the Italian imports through Midway, a nice (about 1/2 matching parts) Winchester for $1450. Some of the nicer ones sold for north of $2k, and they sold out the same day they were listed as I recall. Someone will correct me I’m sure, but if I had to put an average price on a Carbine Mixmaster, I’d guess about $1500.

Sorry to say I know less than nothing about the Krag, anything I’d say would be pure speculation.

There’s an incredible wealth of information here, so I’m sure others with far more experience than me will chime in on pricing of these beautiful firearms.

I’ve been a Smith & Wesson revolver collector for years, there’s an old saying in that community that likely applies here. Did I pay too much, or did I just buy it too soon?

NRA Life Member

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2021 at 12:17pm
I think using the sales price from CMP, Midway, and RTI are a reasonable yardstick for general comparison. 
Anything with a known provinence has potentialy more value to some buyer or buyers.
For example a Bavarian marked carbine, even with post 1968 import stamp, I think can bring more/cost more than a mystery Midway Italian imports in similar condition. 

With carbines at least, I think its fair to say that earlier configurations and certain prime contractors  are more interest to larger number of collectors, and therefore can cost more.
I agree with the ballpark numbers NavySCPO posted, although I too am a novice.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2021 at 4:56am
So your Garands are actually quite cheap, here they are expensive, always around 2000 euro's.
But you can buy an Italian BM59 for around 1000.....it shoots great/better but its not the real deal of course....

Excuse me for going off-topic now (sorry about that). Here's the picture of the early 
'42 S&W Victory I just got, its serial dates it to march '42 so just before ordnance took over and started with simplifying the finish+grips. Above is the '44 Ithaca

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2110/IMG_8942_Ithaca_1911A1_en_SW_Victory.jpg

*EDIT NOTE* cannot use special character in file name. (&) ampersand removed

Edited by New2brass - Sep 10 2021 at 8:33am
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by patrickduis patrickduis wrote:

Can you tell me what .30M1s & garands cost in your country? And a Krag Jorgensen?

The Krags can be all over the place. It may depend on who made it or who it was made for.

I saw a Norwegian Krag M1894 made by Steyr sell for $3950
an M1925 went for 1675.

US Krag can go for $500 to 1500
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2021 at 8:52am
Ok thanks, I know a Dutch collector that has a Norwegian krag with diopter sights. It was a trophy rifle of a shooting match. A few months ago I cleaned a real U.S. krag at a collector that had a fire.
Didn't knew how to get the bolt out/in.......week later I came back, now prepared.....if you know how to do it the bolt goes in/out quite easy, but in a very special turning motion.
 Post Reply Post Reply