Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland Presentation Carbine on Gunbroker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland Presentation Carbine on Gunbroker
    Posted: Jan 16 2017 at 9:38pm
Gunbroker Auction

"This gun has been personally inspected and guaranteed to be right and not a fake by Larry Ruth, one of the country's best and most knowledgeable military carbine experts."

Ummm.....if it is an original presentation carbine, why is there a cross cannon acceptance stamp on the right side of the stock?

There also appears to be some "homework" done to the receiver ring marking.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2017 at 7:34am
M2 - contraband. All NFA Rules Apply.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2017 at 8:25pm
2.3k and climbing. A pot belly stock?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 7:53am
Didn't go much higher. The IP did though. Loved the parked bolt.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 8:27am
Same bidder won both the Inland XD and the IP. That's around 7k for some flawed weaponry to one degree or another.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 8:56am
Yup, watched the same bidders go back and forth on both. Sometimes, pictures raise question or the lack of pictures of important areas raise more questions. Trying to rationalize but maybe that doesn't apply here. If the issues with the presentation weren't brought up here and at CMP forum, wonder what it would have went for? The whole thing was a real head scratcher.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 9:21am
The new owner will soon, technically, be a felon. All NFA Rules apply.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 9:51am
The datasheet notes the "1" is hand stamped. Didn't see a close up enough picture to evalute if it was a good or bad handstamp.

At least the new owner can spend their "free time" finguring out how to correct the IP.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 10:23am
I believe that this Carbine was marked "M2" originally. The marking was not shown in the auction, probably intentionally. If it has been overstamped with a "1," that's interesting, though it does not matter. If it was originally stamped with a "1," then it's anomalous to other presentation Carbines like it. I doubt we will be able to see a picture of the marking on XD100.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 10:38am
Zooming in on the pic which is pretty grainy, it does look like some discoloration around the area where the 1 is stamped. Interesting. Once a 2, always a 2.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Zooming in on the pic which is pretty grainy, it does look like some discoloration around the area where the 1 is stamped. Interesting. Once a 2, always a 2.

Affirmative. All NFA Rules Apply.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 11:01am

At least the new owner can spend their "free time" finguring out how to correct the IP.

It looks like some has already tried to me!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

It looks like some has already tried to me!

An incomplete job...more work to be done. Parked bolt stands out like a sore thumb. Maybe some of the early IP's had parked bolts?
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2017 at 9:24am
You can talk about it all you want, but if I had an Inland presentation carbine that was marked M2, I really wouldn't be too worried about it. The presentation guns were never made as full auto and that would be a valid argument if,... if ATF wanted to pursue it. I've never heard of a case so far. What jury would throw your ass in jail for having a carbine marked 2 instead of 1? JMO
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by NewScotlander NewScotlander wrote:

You can talk about it all you want, but if I had an Inland presentation carbine that was marked M2, I really wouldn't be too worried about it. The presentation guns were never made as full auto and that would be a valid argument if,... if ATF wanted to pursue it. I've never heard of a case so far. What jury would throw your ass in jail for having a carbine marked 2 instead of 1? JMO

NewScotlander,

It's certainly your prerogative to disregard my input. I value my personal liberty much more dearly, and would never want to leave it to a jury who could be influenced by government agency attorneys with virtually unlimited funds to prosecute a case, and who would make crystal clear arguments as to why an unregistered, M2 marked Carbine is a machine gun. Even if the jury did go the M2 owner's way, the cost of defense would be astronomical. I want no part of that. All NFA Rules Apply, and should be respected, in my opinion. Anyone who owns an M2 XD Carbine that is unregistered under the NFA is technically a felon. This is not an opinion. It is fact.

Conversely, I think the status of XD M2 Carbines should be respectfully challenged with ATF. I will discuss such an effort in more detail soon.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2017 at 6:25pm
Shame it appears to have been "corrected". Saw an IBM presentation at NRA museum. Was pretty cool, but would rather have an experimental.
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2017 at 7:06am
Several IBM presentation carbines have been reported in the CC newsletters.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2017 at 7:32am
Were any of the IBM presentations nickel plated? Think I saw one at museum here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/featured-carbine-irwin-pedersen-1775265_topic2605.html

Second picture. It is carbine at bottom of pic. Think I have other pics of it somewhere. Looked pretty nice from what I remember.
 Post Reply Post Reply