Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland #6710250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland #6710250
    Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 2:01am
I picked up an Inland carbine from my local Cabela’s this afternoon: serial #6,710,250. I had seen it a couple days prior but was so incredulous and disgusted by the fact someone would refinish and sand off the cartouches on a high wood stock (not to mention drill a couple holes in the butt to install a recoil pad) that I opted not to purchase it out of protest. 

Anyways, I slept on it and ultimately decided to purchase the carbine at $999. I guess my reasoning was that even the newly manufactured M1 carbines by companies such as Inland Manufacturing and Auto Ordnance (widely regarded as inferior to the WW2-era firearms they were made to mimic) would likely run me over a grand. It’s CAI marked and appears to be arsenal refinished, but it ought to make a good candidate for a shooter. My only other M1 at the moment is Inland serial “310000”, and it’s too beautiful to risk component (or God forbid… catastrophic) failure on the range.

I haven’t done a complete disassembly as of yet, but here’s what I’ve got so far:

Inland #6710250

Barrel: Inland Div. 12-44

Recoil plate: Rock-Ola

Mag release: W

Safety: SN

Sear: IP-SW

Hammer: LT-Q

Trigger housing: NL-Q

Slide: W

Bolt: A.I. Co

Trigger: RI

Piston: WI

Edited by Pro Libertate - Nov 07 2022 at 2:23am
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 2:11am
Firearm purchase included a 15-round USGI magazine, MRT Vietnam-era sling, and IS-marked oiler.

I was quite surprised to see the rear sight drifted over so far in its dovetail.

Any idea what this flipped “N” signifies?

Both the trigger housing and the hammer appear to be less common variants. From what I understand, the trigger housing is more frequently marked “Q-NL” and the hammer “Q-LT” (mine is “LT-Q”).

I thought this was interesting. Anyone ever seen the “1” stamped so far from/below the “M”?

Edited by Pro Libertate - Nov 07 2022 at 2:37am
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 8:15am
I see it’s got that circled 3 symbol or whatever that is below the serial number. Seems to only pop up on imports.
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 8:30am
Yep- the mysterious circled “3”- I have one of these too that came out of Germany/ Europe. Your finish has the dark park typical of these guns. Thinking likely they were the ones that varnished the stock as well
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 8:51am
early on there were markings on parts that were prime contractor-subcontractor (Q-NL)
orndance soon recommended that it be subcontractor-prime contractor (NL-Q)
evidently National Lock either popped out a ton of trigger housings early on or they ignored the change till later on. So that is a late housing

yes, many hand stamp have the one low or high

3 in circle

the marking on the front ring may be a clue.
can you post the 3 and the ring marking in that post. Maybe others will check their front rings
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 9:53am
$999 at Cabella's? That's decent for them. I'd have been tempted myself up too a few days ago to use a 7/44 Inland barrel I had and sold to someone needing a Inland barrel  
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

$999 at Cabella's? That's decent for them. I'd have been tempted myself up too a few days ago to use a 7/44 Inland barrel I had and sold to someone needing a Inland barrel  

I thought so too! Cabela’s Gun Library is kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes things are priced exorbitantly and at others they’re quite reasonable. I was one of those unfortunate souls who paid $1,800 for a rather rough Midway NPM during their most recent import from Italy, so $999 for an older CAI import seemed like a fairly good deal. For whatever reason, M1 carbines are somewhat scarce in my neck of the woods (North Idaho), despite this being the Gun Capital of the World.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 11:09pm
I think you did very well at that price. Hand stamps are a bit harder to find and usually command a modest premium. Strip the stock then oil it with RLO. The lack of stampings is no big deal.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2022 at 3:53pm
Gosh, I love this forum! You guys are really great. I did both a Google search and utilized the forum’s search feature in order to try and find some information regarding the sideways “N” and the distant placement of the “1” in relation to the “M” with no success. I can always expect someone who’s “in the know” to respond and solve the mystery.

Regarding stripping and oiling the stock with RLO… done and done, James! Thank God for the kids’ nap time and Minwax Furniture Refinisher.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2022 at 4:06pm
Have you guys ever seen such a poor machining job on the depression for the slide stop? Every carbine I’ve owned in the past has had a neat little crescent cut into the receiver.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2022 at 5:34pm
late Inlands changed the machining process. Presumably to save time
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2022 at 6:53pm
My 6.6M Inland also has the same style slide stop recess as the OP's. When was this change made?
JackP
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2022 at 7:01pm
You’re a gentleman and a scholar, Dan. Thank you!
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2022 at 7:31pm
I stripped and coated the stock with RLO. Kind of a bummer that it’s been refinished and any cartouches removed, but the wood’s truly got some beautiful grain and character. I’m anxious to see what it’ll look like when the RLO turns.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

Post Reply Post Reply